FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it possilbe for someone to have remote desktop spyware?

supersonic
I have some reason to believe that someone is using remote desktop spyware on my computer and using it access my internet. Is that even possilbe. If its not is there away for someone to route their activity through your IP address?

**I'm not trying to do it, I think someone is doing it to me**
SunburnedCactus
That would more likely be a trojan than spyware, like a dodgy attachment or something.
supersonic
SunburnedCactus wrote:
That would more likely be a trojan than spyware, like a dodgy attachment or something.

So its possilbe?
ocalhoun
What OS are you using?

Anyway, anything is possible...
Paranoia is natural and merely relflects above average intelligence and imagination...
SunburnedCactus
It's common for someone to use a trojan to take over your computer, but I'm not sure why they'd want to use your internet connection. I mean, they'd have to be using the web themselves to do that anyway. For that reason I doubt it's the case tbh.
mOOnGuardian
Oh just format reinstall ur OS then everything woll be fine.This is the best way to clear any type of virus or torjan. U better do it fast or the hacker will get ur private imformations
supersonic
SunburnedCactus wrote:
It's common for someone to use a trojan to take over your computer, but I'm not sure why they'd want to use your internet connection. I mean, they'd have to be using the web themselves to do that anyway. For that reason I doubt it's the case tbh.

In this case it is because they are trying to hide their IP behind mine
Rhysige
Actually there have been heaps of attacks where people use someone elses internet connection for the downloads etc, its faster. They have multiple infeced computers online and get uber connections.
justinrs32
Very possible. Most likely it is a trojan such as sub7 or netbus. Just run a virus scan and you should get it. If that doesn't work try adaware and spybot. If THAT doesn't work try looking in the task manager for anything that doesn't look normal.

Good Luck!

-Justin
Animal
As everyone else has rightly said, it's more likely to be a trojan virus that could be using your computer.

It's not likely that the "Remote Desktop" windows component is being used for a number of reasons: Firstly, it's not been well documented on the web that Remote Desktop has a specific vulnerability. Secondly, you as the user of the remote computer would see on your screen everything the other person was doing with your computer in real time, so it's not likely.

It's also possible that if you're using a Wireless Network setup that someone is using your network to access the internet. If this is the case, make sure you enable WEP or WPA network encryption so that no-one else can access your wireless network unless they have the hexadecimal network key.
bogden
totally;
i don't think its as common as it used to be, but definately still out there.