FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what are the differents between script and language?

haziwkd
i know that javascript is a script and C, pascal.... are language
but what is the main differents between script and language?
and asp,php are language?
kv
haziwkd wrote:

Well, script is a piece of code. Php, asp etc are languages in which you write the scripts. C, pascal, etc are also languages. But they are not called scripting languages because you write client side program using them, which will be compiled into native code by compiler. The scripting languages are interpreted by an interpreter - whether it is server side (php, asp, etc) or client side (shell scripts, javascript, etc). But nonethless, all of them are languages.
Naif
kv has already given you the answer to your question... but still I want to add a few of my own words.

Code written in a programming language needs to be compiled before it can be run. Its not like that with scripts though. They are not compiled. They are contained within plain ASCII file. Scripts need an interpreter to be able to run. Its not like that with compiled languages, except for Java which requires the presence of the Java runtime environment.

A disadvantage a compiled language has over scripting languages is that, if one wants to port them from one OS/platform to another, the code has to be recompiled. Where as its not like that with scripting languages. At times part of the script will have to be modified for OS compatibility but thats not always the case.

Its turn for an advantage now. An advantage a compiled language has over scripting is that, once compiled, the underlying code of the program gets hidden from the users. They wont be able to view the original code nor will they be able to copy it. Its not like this with scripts though. Because they cannot be compiled, they can be viewed by anyone.
webbone
I think javascript and vbscript can't compiler,C and other language can compiler!
silentpark
"a script is just a little program..."

some functions for example to solve small problems..

thats also why you say java scripts in html for example... they are small scripts with no huge abilities...^^ and easy and fast to write..

i think that round about what you wanted to know..

for an better description try wikipedia.org or use google Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_programming_language

thats more specific i think..
haziwkd
thanks all
although i cannot exactly understand.....
ashok
webbone wrote:
I think javascript and vbscript can't compiler,C and other language can compiler!

wish it cud be a bit more understandable.. Laughing
shabda
Though it has been answered, Scripting languages are interprated not compiled, they generally are easier to learn than full fledged programming languages, so they can not be as fast or efficient as compiled languages. Both have their own place. Scripting languages are useful when you need to solve a simple problem quickly, as in web design. But when you need to build big apps you need power of full fledged languages.
elekis
language is a language, I mean it's a code, with syntaxes, grammar, key word... like c++ pascal , asm, machin language etc...but like french , english and other too. all language needs a grammar, vocabulary and rules (thats the define of a language)etc...

all c++, php, and others has vocabulary and grammar and syntaxe, like all speaking language , but smaller)

the only prob is that a machin didn't understand english (or french) or

if(a == b) cout <<"heelo"

thats too complex for him. the only thing he understand its 0100010101110101100101010010 (see electro tutorial) and that's, it's too complex for humain

but 0 and 1 can be seen lots of ways , each language see 0 and 1 whith a particular way. (that 's make different language)

now to transform, you has two ways compilator and interpertor.

compilator transform
if(a == b) cout <<"heelo"
and save the binary in a file (the .exe) . and when you double click on , it just execute directly ..(never recompil)

the interpert interpret
if(a== b) cout << rlezkjr
in
and exectute immediatly the 010010...without save so when you retry , you must re-interpert eatch line

so lots of thing, thirst interpret is slower than compiler (eatch time you execut you must interpret the line before execute.)

for all language there are interpret and compilator (c++ has a compilator and (minder knew) has a interpertor. see http://root.cern.ch/root/Cint.html )

if english is not a INFORMATICs language it's because the compilator to transform engish on binary would be very huge (eatch word should define)

a+++
haziwkd
i have another question
CSS and HTML are language?
elekis
yep, there are rules boths and there are script (its your navigator who interpret balise code to know what you must see and how show that)
Naif
haziwkd wrote:
i have another question
CSS and HTML are language?

Not really. HTML is a markup language. It doesnt have variables, control structures, functions or anything else that a programming language has. CSS is used in conjunction with HTML documents to format the pages.
gamo
kv wrote:
haziwkd wrote:

Well, script is a piece of code. Php, asp etc are languages in which you write the scripts. C, pascal, etc are also languages. But they are not called scripting languages because you write client side program using them, which will be compiled into native code by compiler. The scripting languages are interpreted by an interpreter - whether it is server side (php, asp, etc) or client side (shell scripts, javascript, etc). But nonethless, all of them are
languages.

Language script such as Javascript, PHP, ASP, PERL... Their code can perform aince depend on an relavant container at run time. These container interpreter their code when can request from user occurs.