FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem Regarding Remote Destop Connections

hack_man_
I have recently restored all of my computers to their factory settings and have set up a network, I want to set up a remote desktop connection just in case anything goes wrong with the other machine. But the Remote Desktop Connection software that is installed on my machines say that "There are no terminal servers available on this network".

A: What is a terminal server?
B: Shoud I just use Remote Assistance? Confused
NuniPio
well.. if you're using the remote connection that comes with windows then u have to allow it first..go to system properties then "remote" tab and allow it. also u must have password protected logins on each comp, then to connect remotely u run the desktop connection.. start-->run-->mstsc then you just enter the IP of the comp which u want to connect to.. thats how i do it, hope that helps
Clergy
If it happens to be the software itself, try Cool!REmote™. That's what I use. It's very user friendly while still allowing advanced users to get their hands dirty.
longjack
hack_man_ wrote:
I have recently restored all of my computers to their factory settings and have set up a network, I want to set up a remote desktop connection just in case anything goes wrong with the other machine. But the Remote Desktop Connection software that is installed on my machines say that "There are no terminal servers available on this network".

A: What is a terminal server?
B: Shoud I just use Remote Assistance? Confused

Simply, a terminal server is a program running on a computer (usually with a server OS) that would serve out desktops to other workstations on the network that request one.

Terminal services is supplied in (the more common) microsoft OS's of Windows 2000 pro server, windows XP pro and Windows 2003 server.
I'm not sure about MCE.

In your case, you need to have one of those operating systems in order to be able to have another machine logon to it. By logon I mean to be able to control it from another machine.

If you are in the remote settings menu (where remote assistance is , and which isn't what you want) there should be a checkbox to turn on remote conections. That checkbox is below the one for remote assistance, I believe. If that checkbox isn't there, you aren't using one of the OS s I listed above. XP Home, for example, doesn't have a remote connection capability (that is, it doesn't have terminal services).

You can get the Remote Desktop Client to put on XP Home that will connect to an XP Pro, but XP Home itself can't be connected to by Remote Desktop Connection.

VNC is the easiest 3rd party remote control app to use IMHO. It's free. Once you have the server and the client installed and running you can connect different platforms as well, Mac OS X to Windows, etc. It works on anything from Win 95 up.

If you want to connect from outside your lan, you have some other issues to resolve. But for inside your lan VNC should do the trick.

HTH

longjack
johnjames
Teriminal Services is the technical name. on XP they have a feature call Remote Desktop Connection that is really the same thing (actuallly the executable names are the same, just a newer verison).