FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would you recommend the Nintendo DS?

kaikou
I'm thinking about getting one, so I thought I would ask you folks for your opinions.

I read about the DS's wireless capabilities. Is this really as easy to use as they advertise?

Is the touch screen easy to scratch/damage? Would you recommend using a screen protector of some kind?

I'm not very concerned with games at this point (I love Mario Kart, so that's enough for me atm), and from the looks of things there is already a nice and growing assortment of games to choose from.

For the price, also, the DS just seems like a better buy than a PSP. I've heard of all sorts of problems with the screen...and I'm not interested in watching movies on it.

Anyway, I would love some opinions on these issues, as well as any others you would like to share about your experiences with the DS.

Please only reply if you have/had a DS. I'm not really interested in reading "I hate that system, X and Y are better" type responses if they aren't backed up with some sort of personal experience with the DS and the other system. Smile Thanks!
Kelcey
the wireless capabilities are nice. I think it's very user friendly... that is when you get used to the stylus. It took me a while to get used to, but the games are fun.
MonkeyWrench
dont get a DS, they are rubbish, besides they look like a personal notebook, but worse, choose a psp or dont bother getting one, as i think theyre not worth buying.
Hanpusu-kun
I would recommend a DS.
Why?
Well, at the time DS got so much beter games then the PSP and also is like a little more "revolutionary" then the PSP.
By thw way, the PSP has become more of a Media Player then Game Console.
And if you want to play MP3's and Movies get the PLay-Yan Micro via import or something like that.
SilverDogg
i dont have one (yet) but my girlfriend have one, and i have played over at my friends and other places, so i know it pretty well.

and i can say that you should absolutely get it. if you worry to much about the design you are a ******(see above), and besides, the ds doesnt look that bad =). and you dont get your fingerprints all over it *coughpspcough*. there are lots of great games (isnt animal crossing coming out in usa soon? im so jealous Sad ), mario kart is a great racing game, metroid prime is coming out in a few months, and so is new super mario bros. woah! get it dammit! =D
blackomen12²
I would recommend it because there is really good games. Although I have only had mine since July none of my screens have suffered more than one scratch, but they aren't even noticeable. But like Kelcey said you have to get used to the stylus, but besides that it is a very good handheld.
SilverDogg
you dont always have to use the stylus, metroid prime is one example =). i rather play with the thumbstrap when it comes to fps, and certain other games.
kaikou
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! You're being very helpful.

I have a question, though, about the screens. I think I'm hearing that they're pretty sturdy, so you guys think I shouldn't bother with the screen protectors if I get one?

I don't much mind the design, btw. Smile Actually, it's kinda cute.

Okay, one more question about the wireless stuff. Once the connection is made, is it stable? I don't mean to ask about problems with the wireless router itself. I know there can be problems with those that would affect the DS. I mean to say are there any problems with the DS's connection? Does it disconnect without being asked, lose the connection...ect?

Since it's built by Nintendo, I'm hoping those types of problems are kept to a minimum...I haven't had any problems before with their products. So I'm hoping *crosses fingers*
SilverDogg
kaikou wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! You're being very helpful.

I have a question, though, about the screens. I think I'm hearing that they're pretty sturdy, so you guys think I shouldn't bother with the screen protectors if I get one?

they are pretty sturdy, but if you wanna be on the safe side buy a pack of protectors aswell. they are not that expensive anyway =).

kaikou wrote:
I don't much mind the design, btw. Smile Actually, it's kinda cute.

Okay, one more question about the wireless stuff. Once the connection is made, is it stable? I don't mean to ask about problems with the wireless router itself. I know there can be problems with those that would affect the DS. I mean to say are there any problems with the DS's connection? Does it disconnect without being asked, lose the connection...ect?

there shouldnt be too much problems with it. some have experienced problems, but i think most are able to get it running without problems fairly quick =).
Penna_ha
Buy it. Now. You won't be disappointed. It's really cheap anyway.

Oh, and don't forget to but Animal Crossing DS, Mario Kart DS and a Wi-Fi adapter.
blackomen12²
SilverDogg wrote:
you dont always have to use the stylus, metroid prime is one example =). i rather play with the thumbstrap when it comes to fps, and certain other games.

Yes you are right. A game I just bought, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time does not use the touch-screen at all!
Kelcey
blackomen12² wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:

Yes you are right. A game I just bought, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time does not use the touch-screen at all!

Yet most of the time (with the games I've played at least), it makes the games pretty cool. I was playing kirby and you can draw boundaries and make him fly and bounce around. But it was difficult for me since I still suck with the stylus, haha.
Hanpusu-kun
I haven't used the stylus for Mario Kart DS.
drawing your emblem is like... eh.. drawing on paint, but worse?

So, yeah, dont worry about the stylus, it isnt that bad.
Cream
I would reccommend the DS, as it has a bunch of great and fun games.
But be careful, I dropped mine and the top screen smashed, so now I'm DSless. Crying or Very sad
fayettemat
i wouldnt reccomend it because the PSP can do so much more and the price is about the same if i rember right
Monkeydog
fayettemat wrote:
i wouldnt reccomend it because the PSP can do so much more and the price is about the same if i rember right

No, just no.

Yes.
blackomen12²
fayettemat wrote:

All you need to do is get the Play Yan Micro
driftingfe3s
fayettemat wrote:

PSP goes around $250, DS is around $130. There's another topic on there abou DS versus PSP. There are great games on the DS. I would like to get one for myself, but I'm saving up to buy a digital SLR.
Natrualkiller
i would not recommend this i would recommend a psp instead mp3 movies games .... clearly the winner
SilverDogg
wow, yet another person who cant read.

nintendo have two (or if you want, four) portable consoles that can play games, play music, and play videos. sony have one. and it costs a hell lot more.

get the same things (basically) as a psp for a cheaper price, or buy it at a more expensive price.. hmmmmm... ill go with the cheap one ^_^
jarcelao
i would definitely recommend you to buy a DS instead of the crappy PSP...

DS has a better game library than PSP...
mewfree
For your DS take SuperMario 64DS, MarioKart DS, Nintendogs and all of good games :p
kaikou
Thank you for helping, everyone! Smile I think I'm going to get a DS after Christmas
kaikou
Just thought I'd update this thread a bit. I love my DS. Very cute, silver thing...Mario Kart is a lot of fun. Thank you to everyone for your advice!
nOScott
no i would go for ps3 Razz
kaikou
^ Maybe I should've specified that I was interested only in portable game systems.

I think the PS3 looks like it could be fun, by the way. Nothing against it. It's just not portable Razz
cheatonmaps
if you like nintendo, the you should get a DS. they are so much cheaper than a psp.
Hanpusu-kun
yeah but still, dont rate consoles after price.
sometimes, a much expensive console can be better.
teriyaki
i think u should definately stick with nitendo.
dat's the best console ever.
super mario brothers 1,2,3
kaikou
Still enjoying the DS, guys. I like the WiFi feature a lot! lol. When I'm not in class, reading for class, going to class, or painting, I'm playing my Mario Kart on WiFi. Some people from Japan keep leaving me in the dust, but hey, it's all good, huh? Cool
Pennan
Great ^^

Btw, i have heard some rumor about some new-designed DS, like GBA SP. Wouldnt that be great? Oh, this years E3 is sure going to be exciting : )

www.e3expo.com
time_ar
I don't like the whole idea of 'Dual Screens'. I think they are disctrating.
d-hunter
I would recommend the DS. I bought it to try it out--and I don't regret it. There are a lot of sequels and remakes on it. It also has lots of fun mini-games with the touch screen.
Enderwiggin
If the prices between the PSP and DS werent so far apart, I would reccomend the PSP, since I personally see nintendo getting worse soon, since one of their best people is retiring.... But since there are already so many good games for the DS, And the Massive price difference, I must say the DS, thats the best thing nintendo has going for them, their prices Razz
kaikou
I was skeptical about the dual screens at first, but I have to admit they've grown on me. I glance down at the bottom screen once and while when I need to, but mostly I focus on the top screen. Smile I like having the bottom screen on Mario Kart, too, for seeing where other people are as opposed to the N64's method. And seeing the green turtle shells, ect down on the bottom is helpful too.

And wow, yeah, a redesigned Ds would be cool. I'm very happy with what I have, but new ideas are always great too.
www.pccv.com
just get it"s the best
waiteck
Nah.. I must say that get a psp. Get a snes emulator and umd loader. And you can play snes roms and psp games!.. So get psp.. don't get DS..
Hanpusu-kun
waiteck wrote:
Nah.. I must say that get a psp. Get a snes emulator and umd loader. And you can play snes roms and psp games!.. So get psp.. don't get DS..

And once again, a person gets a console to play the rivals games.
Isnt this just WEIRD?

The re-design of DS is very likely, but I will not buy a new one.
I didnt buy an GBA SP after having my old GBA either.
Hanpusu-kun
Btw. I jsut saw that the new desing has been released.
Its called Nintendo DS Lite and is kinda cool.
Heres the machines specifications:
133 x 74 x 22 mm and weights 218 g,
The original:
149 x 85 x 29 mm and 275 g.

Here is the pics:

bluedragon
Hanpusu-kun wrote:

I read that yesterday on Engadget. I'm glad that when the Final Fantasy III remake finally makes it to the DS I won't have to buy a clunky thing to play it. The designs are supposedly "working designs" but it looks pretty good so far. I just want mine in black!
thewrxman
i would definitly recommend one. both of my brothers have one and the two screens, one of which is touch is very good and can display use ful information during gameplay. the games graphics are very impressive and it has built in wifi for wireless play, not sure how it would rate against the psp, as i have had no experience with it, but what i have seen of the DS i like Very Happy
driftingfe3s
After the redsign, I'm thinking i really need to get one now. I hear there are going to be 3 colors. I really would like a price drop as well. I hope it comes out soon in the US after the Japan release.
dpkteam
Dont by it. PsP is better.
SilverDogg
dpkteam wrote:
Dont by it. PsP is better.

its really great that you have some arguments aswell, and isnt just proving to everybody that you are being a jackass.
Natrualkiller
psp is about 5x better with 10x more things to do go with psp
linkman2004
I wouldn't reccomend the PSP just for all the features. Sure it may have movie playback but what about great games? The reason the DS is beating out the PSP right now is because of all the killer games being released for it. So really if you like lots of quality games get a DS, but if you want more such as movies and music plus games get the PSP. But personally nothin beats the Nintendo DS for all around dudeness.