FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is best in computers???

GDG
Hey guys, i have a question. Is it better to get a supped up AMd computer, like X2 and keep it for like a long while or keep getting new computers every now and then - which might not be supped up as good???
Aiz
I believe this is to be solely personal preference.

I myself believe just get moderately good parts and put one together yourself so just to have what you believe you might need depending on what you do on the computer.

A super computer is not so "super" anymore practically days after you get it. Don't think about in comparasion to the rest of the population as much as what works for you.
NuniPio
i agree with Aiz, i had the same problem deciding wat to do when purchasing a comp, i decided to make a really "super" comp and now that theres ddr2 ram and pci-e its no longer "super"
Christo
GDG wrote:
Hey guys, i have a question. Is it better to get a supped up AMd computer, like X2 and keep it for like a long while or keep getting new computers every now and then - which might not be supped up as good???

I think you can beter have an AMD fx-series processor, when you need it for gaming. The best grafics configuration is an 2x 7800GTX-512MB in SLI. At the moment is that the best configuration you can have. But about some months is this old and is there an new graficscard what beter is.
Clergy
Aiz has it. Get the parts and build it yourself. I prefer the AMD chipset (drooling over the 64-bits when I get money for one and a new mobo). It is much better to build your own for various reasons:

1) You know what you're putting in it.
2) You know if you have to upgrade later, the parts aren't proprietary *cough - Gateway - *cough*
3) You know what you need the computer for. Often times, you will tell a salesman what you need in the computer and they will sell you a computer with stuff you don't need and lacking stuff you do.
4) You design the look.
5) It's generally cheaper in the long run.
Christo
i have buyed yet an new computer. specs are:

AMD64 3800+
XFX 7800GT Extreme
1gb RAM memory
2x 160 gb western digital hdd (on raid0)
Coolermaster realpower 450watt
Asus a8n-sli deluxe
devroom
Christo wrote:

The best grafics configuration is an 2x 7800GTX-512MB in SLI.

Shocked Wow Shocked
I don't have that much money Very Happy
And a friend of mine tolled me not to buy sli yet, it sucks. better to buy crossfire. but i dont know anything about it.
But i believe the best thing is to buy a pc round 2 years

Christo wrote:
i have buyed yet an new computer. specs are:

AMD64 3800+
XFX 7800GT Extreme
1gb RAM memory
2x 160 gb western digital hdd (on raid0)
Coolermaster realpower 450watt
Asus a8n-sli deluxe

I believe with 3800 and xfx 7800 gt, 1 gb is less. buy at least 2 gb with your other spacs. and dont put the hd in raid. just let it be 2 hd in the case the hds crashes. I do have something like that now with a broken hd in LVM Evil or Very Mad
cycu
the best computer is on Mars Very Happy
ocalhoun
cycu wrote:
the best computer is on Mars Very Happy

The little green men use it to track the UFO's that keep landing and to avoid the little robots that come out of them.
Christo
Quote:
And a friend of mine tolled me not to buy sli yet, it sucks. better to buy crossfire. but i dont know anything about it.

That isn't right! crossfire sucks because you must have an specials crossfire card and the crossfire cable is outside so you have an big kable behind you computer. But SLI is better because Nvida has the best cards at the moment.
mark
Get a good computer and stick with it for a year and a half. Technology keeps on changing and we need to keep up with it. I know one guy who took windows 98 a week ago before XP came out. He was crying over it for days.
technology.sponge
get a moderately good pc (fast with gud specs but slightly under the state of the art e.g. buy a 3.2ghz processor not a 3.4ghz - there will b a pice difference of up to 800 bux but in terms of performance, u'll only squeeze out an extra frame of performance in a game)

use it for 1-2 yrs before upgrading it

afta 3-4 yrs, then buy a new 1 (keep the old computer - useful for fileserver etc. unless u can make bucks from it no ebay)
GDG
Thanks everyone, but um i have another question. Regarding teh AMD Fxand X2 series. i know that FX is a dual core processor, but is FX a dual core since it is the best for gaming right now, so i would suspect it is!!!
GDG
I was thinking of getting an "ALIENWARE" computer. Since they look liek teh best so far, and i wanted something good for gaming, whta do you guys think???
izcool
GDG wrote:
I was thinking of getting an "ALIENWARE" computer. Since they look liek teh best so far, and i wanted something good for gaming, whta do you guys think???

I have a friend who loves AlienWare computers. They're expensive but they make computers solely for gaming and heavy, extensive usage. If you really wanted the "perfect" computer, then I would suggest you to buy all of the parts and put it together. Then you can get EVERYTHING as how you want it. Just make sure that all of the parts match up with one another (read the details CAREFULLY) as that was my biggest mistake with the first computer that I built (I built 3 in my life so far). It will more than likely be costly since you're buying at retail instead of wholesale, but it'll be definately worth it in the end, in my opinion. Good luck. Smile

- Mike.
ashok
mark wrote:
Get a good computer and stick with it for a year and a half. Technology keeps on changing and we need to keep up with it. I know one guy who took windows 98 a week ago before XP came out. He was crying over it for days.

yup same hapd here. but since i had enuf money i upgraded quickly.. Laughing
devroom
ashok wrote:

yup same hapd here. but since i had enuf money i upgraded quickly.. Laughing

Buy a student license. i have it too. its only € 20 in NL Very Happy
headlong
In my opinion, buy more memory is more important to speed. CPU frequency is not that important. Even you CPU spends 0 time to execute any instruction, your computer still has to spend 80%-90% of its time loading instructions from the disk and the memory.