FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reading into the reading too much?

PatTheGreat42
I was doing some research recently into symbols in Flannery O'Connor's story "A Good Man is Hard to Find."

Apparently, there are symbols all over the place in that story. Everything, they'll tell you, is a symbol. The sky, the trees, the characters, the dirt road, the barbeque shack...

I personally think they're reading into it too much. They're making stuff up and justifying things that Flannery never intended to put in there. And I think that sort of thing happens all the time. It is my opinion that English teachers and that whole community try to find things in the story that aren't there. What about you?
Nameless
*couldn't agree more*

I hate the way people are like: "But what did <author> mean by that?" Meanwhile I'm thinking: "Maybe he didn't ACTUALLY mean anything at all! Gees!" If *I* ever write a moderatly well known book that's studied in schools I'm going to issue a public statement saying there is no symbolism, hidden meanings, or metaphores in my story WHATSOEVER.
myrevolt
yea and in Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn there is a notice on the first page thats says "Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot will be shot", the problem is it needs to be more direct with something like "...English teachers teaching things that are more into my original writings are to be shot..." haha.... Rolling Eyes
Jayfarer
That's part of deconstruction. Readers are allowed to deconstruct it so much to the point where they are extracting things the author originally didn't intend. There's really nothing wrong with that.

In school, it's not, or at least it shouldn't, be about getting it "right' or "wrong". It should be about displaying the mental ability to analyze deep enough that you can think up a symbol for everything, whether or not it's actually there.

Also, i'm not saying this is you, but in my experience the people who don't think there are any symbolisms or metaphors in a story are the people who aren't good at deconstruction.
Aki
Sure some films do have a deeper meaning and symbolism is obviously evident in poetry and shakespeare the like however I think it is ridiculous how deep these deconstructions have become. I am sure many of the authors never intended many of the readings and some texts have been analysed to the degree where they contain no meaning at all. What is Iago's true motive? What is Othello really about??!
Jayfarer
Aki wrote:
Sure some films do have a deeper meaning and symbolism is obviously evident in poetry and shakespeare the like however I think it is ridiculous how deep these deconstructions have become. I am sure many of the authors never intended many of the readings and some texts have been analysed to the degree where they contain no meaning at all. What is Iago's true motive? What is Othello really about??!

But no teacher should really be saying, "This is the only answer of Iago's true motive" They're not asking for that, they're asking for you to show off your analysis skills and back it up with several good and specific examples. So over-deconstructing is fine.
Aki
Jayfarer wrote:
Aki wrote:

But no teacher should really be saying, "This is the only answer of Iago's true motive" They're not asking for that, they're asking for you to show off your analysis skills and back it up with several good and specific examples. So over-deconstructing is fine.

I never said that teachers force you to accept one reading over another what I am saying is that the intended meaning of texts may be blurred while we try to deconstruct to the point where every word or every prop is symbolic of one thing or another.
Jack_Hammer
At school they just brainwash you anyway, though english teachers do try and get you to look more into it because some writers to delibratly put different things into different context for example Animal Farm by George Orwell. Some writers that you read couldn't write about certain subjects because of constraints by the goverment that they would be killed etc. so they had to make a story which would reflect what was going on without being directly linked, although I do agree that in english they do try and look to deep into the words a writer just happens to use or happens to phrase something and seem to think it's something more, but then there are people like that in life who look to deep into the coincidences.
Jayfarer
Aki wrote:
Jayfarer wrote:
Aki wrote:

I never said that teachers force you to accept one reading over another what I am saying is that the intended meaning of texts may be blurred while we try to deconstruct to the point where every word or every prop is symbolic of one thing or another.

Right, but, that's okay, because it's all about exercising the readers ability to pick up, and sometimes invent, things like that.
SilverDogg
when it comes to books i dont really have a problem with it. people analyze books, its a fact.

when its about certain other stuff, i get annoyed by it ;/.
sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
riv_
I think it's great to analyz things (take a look at Peter Pan someday Very Happy ) but people sure can get carried away.
There was a stupid movie years ago where the main character had to graduate from college in order to keep his big fat inheritance.
Of course, he hadn't studied, so he hired a book's author to do his lit report for him... and the prof failed him. Probably one of the funniest movie scenes I've ever seen.
If you look to hard, you'll find something, but it will probably be wrong.