FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facts about India : Proud to be an Indian

manumiglani
1. The number system was invented by India. Aryabhatta was the scientist who invented the digit zero.

2. Sanskrit ( A Indian Language ) is considered as the mother of all higher languages. This is because it is the most precise, and therefore suitable language for computer software. ( a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987 ).

3. India is.......the Largest democracy in the world, the 6th largest country in the world AND one of the most ancient and living civilizations (at least 10, 000 years old).

4. The' place value system' and the 'decimal system' were developed in 100 BC in India.

5. Chess was invented in India.

6. Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies which originated in India.

7. The game of snakes & ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev in India.

8. India has the most post offices in the world.

9. The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system, employing over a million people.

10. India was one of the richest countries till the time of British in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth and was looking for route to India when he discovered America by mistake.

11. The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects.

12. Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The father of medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago.

13. The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century, which was long before the European mathematicians.

14. Algebra, trigonometry and calculus also orignated from India. Quadratic equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 ( i.e 10 to the power of 53 ) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C. during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10*12( 10 to the power of 12 ).

15. Until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to the world. ( Source . Gemological Institute of America )

16. The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.

17. Sushruta is regarded as the father of surgery. Over 2600 years ago Sushrata & his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones and also plastic surgery and brain surgeries.

Some Interesting data

* Who is the co-founder of Sun Microsystems ?
Mr. Vinod Khosla ( Indian )

* Who is the creator of Pentium chip (90% of the today's computers run on it)?
Mr. Vinod Dham ( Indian )

*Who is the founder and creator of Hotmail (World's No. 1 web based E-Mail program)?
Mr. Sabeer Bhatia (Indian) later on sold to Microsoft.

* Who is the president of AT & T-Bell Labs (AT & T-Bell Labs is the creator of program languages such as C, C++, UNIX to name a few)?
Mr. Arun Netravalli (Indian)

*Who is the GM of Hewlett Packard ?
Mr. Rajiv Gupta (Indian)

*Who is the new MTD (Microsoft Testing Director) of Windows 2000 , responsible to iron out all initial problems?
Mr. Sanjay Tejwrika ( Indian )

* Indians are the wealthiest among all ethnic groups in America , even faring better than the whites and the natives:
There are 3.22 Millions of INDIAN s in USA ( 1.5 % of population ).
YET, 38% of doctors in USA are INDIANs.
12% scientists in USA are INDIANs.
36% of NASA scientists are INDIANs.
34% of Microsoft employees are INDIANs.
28% of IBM employees are INDIANs.
17% of INTEL scientists are INDIANs.
13% of XEROX employees are INDIANs.
rark
Whoa, thanks for sharing such interesting facts with us, I personally havent heard about most of the things that you posted and it is indeed an eye opener. Thanks Very Happy
webapp
I never knew this...its an eye opener...Thx
OnlyOneLife
When you got to the part about the interesting facts-- the part about the companies that was interesting that indians hold the bigger part of those companies. Also they invented all that stuff like the chips at intel and hotmail. Sure changed my view on indians
saiyeek
Every Patriotic Countrymen is proud about his country. Same with you. No wonder. I am proud of my country Nepal as well.
jobsworld
I also.....

And thanks for sharing such valuable information......

thanks...
keep it up yaar
satheesh
Hi,
Those are just the facts that we have about India. Much more interesting thing that can make us proud all the way is the intelligent comparison made between the flood that occured in Mumbai and the hurricane Katrina that happened in US. It was a very interesting and mind boggling one.

Note : If you like to donate please do it here all the same
ronjacob
CEO of Magma Design Automation (No.3 EDA company) is an Indian. Rajeev Madhavan.
Davidgr1200
How many Indians have won a Nobel Prize? Offhand I can think of Subramyhan Chandresekhar (I think that's how he spells his name) who was a very good astrophysicist.
manumiglani
Davidgr1200 wrote:
How many Indians have won a Nobel Prize? Offhand I can think of Subramyhan Chandresekhar (I think that's how he spells his name) who was a very good astrophysicist.

his name is Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman , He was honored with Nobel Prize in Physics for his discovery of the "Raman" effect in 1930 .

well as far as your question of how many Indians..... i do not know the exact number.... but there has always been a discriminating attitude of Nobel Committee towards Indian candidates.

while the western scientists, scholars etc were given nobel for failed theories, Indian candidates were often not took into consideration due to the narrow outlook of the Nobel Committee , one of the mant great Indians who deserved Nobel Prize was Mahatma Gandhi. there are many articles written on this by various famous writters. you can search them on google.
Helios
Wow!
Haven't known much of the facts mentioned above.
Now I look at India in a different way =D

That's great that you love your country, btw.
We all should love our countries.
jamiedoneill
"Jaya jaya jaya... Ja-aya hai..."

To the Indians on the site, best wishes. It's one of the places I'll be visiting next year (Delhi), looking forward to practicing my Hindi with proper desi log and tasting all the great food.

Have a great New Year 2006, maybe I'll see you around on my travels!
jamiedoneill
Oh wait... Whoever is bigging up Gandhi please check your facts. He was no saint; he was extremely racist against blacks and is said to have sexually abused girls. His own grandson recently admitted this was a fact.
Devil
jamiedoneill wrote:
Oh wait... Whoever is bigging up Gandhi please check your facts. He was no saint; he was extremely racist against blacks and is said to have sexually abused girls. His own grandson recently admitted this was a fact.

ur telling us to check the facts ?? why dont u put up some source to backup ur comments , gandhi came close to winning the nobel 3 times , but the british always kept him at bay , cuz of his role played in freedom of india , british still regret leaving india , india is the only super power to have emerged from thier colonies ,

Quote:
Just To tell about the great contribution to the world from India

India is the world's largest, oldest, continuous civilization

Varanasi, also known as Benares, was called "the ancient city" when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C.E, and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today?

India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.

India is the world's largest democracy.

Grammar constitutes one of India's greatest contributions to Western philology. Panini, the Sanskrit grammarian, who lived between 750 and 500 BC, was the first to compose formal grammar through his Astadhyai.

The art of Navigation was bornin the river Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'.

Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484 days.

More facts about India

India exports software to 90 countries

USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century old suspicion in the world scientific community that the pioneer of wireless communication was Prof. Jagdish Bose and not Marconi.

The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.

According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150 CE a beautiful lake called 'Sudarshana' was constructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya's time.

Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India. Over 125 surgical equipment were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.

When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)

The four religions born in India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the world's population?

Islam is India's and the world's second largest religion?

Jews and Christians have lived continuously in India since 200 B.C.E and 52 A.D respectively.

The Vishnu Temple in the city of Tirupathi built in the 10th century, is the world's largest religious pilgrimage destination, larger than either Rome or Mecca, with an average of 30,000 visitors every day giving donations to the temple of $6 million (U.S.) daily?

and whats more.....

Quotes on India

Keith Bellows said: There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and wont go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds. It was as if all my life I had been seeing the world in black and white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant technicolor.

Albert Einstein said: We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.

Mark Twain said: India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.

French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.

Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA said: India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.

Achievements of Ancient Indians

Physical Sciences

Knowledge Ancient Reference Modern Reference
Velocity of Light RigVed - Sayan Bhashya (1400 A.D) 19th Century
Trans-Saturnean Planets Mahabharat (5500 B.C) 17-19th Century
Space Travel to another solar system Shrimad Bhagwat (4000 B.C) Under Trials
Gravitational Force Prashnopanishad (6000 B.C) Shankaracharya (500 B.C) 17th Century
Ultravoilet Band Sudhumravarna - (Mundakopanishad - M.U) ---
Infra-red Band Sulohita (M.U) ---
Tachyons faster than light Manojava (Mundakopanishad) Sudarshan, 1968
Nuclear Energy Spullingini (Mundakopanishad) 20th Century
Black Holes Vishvaruchi(Mundakopanishad) 20th Century
Monsoon at Summer Solstice RigVed (23720 B.C) ---
Entry in South America by Aeroplanes Valmiki Ramayan (7300 B.C) ---
Phosphorescent Trident at the Bay of Pisco, Peru,S.America Valmiki Ramayan (7300 B.C) 1960 A.D.
Aeroplanes RigVed,Ramayana,Samarangan Sutradhara (1050 A.D.) ---
Robot Samarangan Sutradhara (1050 A.D.) ---
Atom (Divisible) & (Indivisible) Shrimad Bhagwat (4000 B.C.) 1800 A.D.

Achievements of Ancient Indians

Medical Sciences

Knowledge Ancient Reference Modern Reference
Artificial Limb RigVed (1-116-15) 20th Century
Number of Chromosomes (23) Mahabharat-5500 BCE 1890 A.D
Combination of Male and Female Shrimad Bhagwat 20th Century
Analysis of Ears RigVed Labyrinth
Beginning of the Foetal Heart Eitereya Upanishad -(6000 BCE) Robinson, 1972
Parthenogenesis Mahabharat 20th Century
Test Tube Babies:-
from the ovum only Mahabharat Not possible yet
Test Tube Babies:-
from the sperm only Mahabharat Not possible yet
Elongation of Life in confirmed Space Travel Shrimad Bhagwat Not yet
Cell Division (in 3 layers) Shrimad Bhagwat 20th Century
Embryology Eitereya Upanishad (6000 BCE) 19th Century
Micro-organisms Mahabharat 18th Century
A material producing a disease can prevent or cure the disease in minute quantity S-Bhagwat (1-5-33) Haneman,18th Century
Developing Embyro in Vitro Mahabharat 20th Century
Life in trees and plants Mahabharat Bose,19th Century
16 Functions of the Brain Eitereya Upanishad 19-20th Century
Definition of Sleep Prashna-Upanishad Yogsootra 20th Century
Chromosomes Cunavidhi(Mahabharat)(5500 BCE) 1860-1910 A.D
The owner of Ensim Corp. is Sandip Gupta, an Indian too

Proud to be an Indian

to see the indian country profile click the link below , and please dont register , guests can veiw this link
http://206.223.156.229/temp/showthread.php?t=1606&highlight=indian
manumiglani
jamiedoneill wrote:

hey i think you need to consult your doctor. may be that will help you out by not getting into more deep troubles.

now, lets get down to facts.......
Quote:

He was no saint

i admit that he was not a saint, no one can be ever a perfect saint,
but just to mention,

he weared only dhoti-kurta( a indian dress that only barely covers enough of the body)

he used to hand made his cloths and only wear them

he ended the british colonism in india and throw British out of India without using a single bullet.

he followd the principle of non-voilence.
Quote:

he was extremely racist against blacks

He was the man who started the fight againt racism in South Africa, and he devoted his whole life for the purpose of ending racism.

he adopted a muslim son.

Quote:
and is said to have sexually abused girls. His own grandson recently admitted this was a fact.

i do not know from where you get that........ but that shows your mental illness. you do not have proof of that..... just a blind throw,

Quote:
His own grandson recently admitted this was a fact.

how his grandson knew all about that....... i think he was not even born when his grandfather died....

that is a poor response and allegations from a desprate and a poor mind,
this type of allegations and language against such a great leader person is not good,

i could make similar allegations about your king and queen, we all knew what queen Daina was upto and whay she was killed.... but i do not want to mention it.

so i think you should apologise,
Devil
This is a wonderfull thread , lets not spoil it for simgle retard , focus on india , Laughing
menhao
hey, i do think that we all should be proud of ourselves, everyone's mother has a great history and made great contributions to human culture on this planet. yet if you ask others to agree with you that your motherland is greater that others, i dont think anyone will agree with you.
adwya
lololololol
silvermesh
lets go back and see who raised these allegations against Gandhi in the first place... who was it? Penn and Teller. Thats right, stage magicians. Clearly stage magicians should be who you turn to for all of your late-breaking news. Who needs the newspapers, when teller can pull news out of a hat?
Devil
menhao wrote:
hey, i do think that we all should be proud of ourselves, everyone's mother has a great history and made great contributions to human culture on this planet. yet if you ask others to agree with you that your motherland is greater that others, i dont think anyone will agree with you.

Please show us where in this thread did u read , that our motherland was great then yours or anyone else ,

this thread is not about the greatest country in the world , this thread is about greatness of india , i am sure there will be many great things about ur country too , thats whats makes this world a great in the first place ,
hac
Such abuse against Gandhi is outrageous. He wa a polotical saint and he fought for the blacks before he ever did fight for India. And the accusation of he sexually abusing a girl is out of this world. He was married to Harturbai at the age of 13. So there seems to be some base for this FALSE accusation. Laughing . If Ganghi were here he wud just have smiled at u. That's the greatness in him.
jamiedoneill
It's amazing how fast people rush to defend someone they think they know everything about, who was in fact A MAN like anyone else.

Penn and Teller may be magicians, does that mean they are liars? Wasn't Gandhi a lawyer turned politician? I guess he could never lie then...

Whatever the facts may be don't shoot the messenger, especially since I'm a blatant Indophile... Gandhi is not above criticism, and I should get electric shocks for saying this?

All public figures should be criticised whether they be good or bad, because in the end blind idol worship is bad bad bad.

You can't defend everything a person does even if they wear a white robe and live in the forest and meditate or even do great things. Nobody is perfect.

Take Michael Jackson... Do I need to spell this out?
nam_siddharth
Most of european and some west asians has proud of being Aryan. But India is the only Aryan country, where aryan traditions are still alive.

Europeans(who claims the are best, because they are aryans) follow a Jew religion (Christ was Jew).

West asian aryan (they claim they are best, because aryans originated there) countries follow an Arabic religion.

But most of Indians still follow an Aryan religion.
whplace
Hey Iam indian and aryan!

Nice to see patriotic fellows here.

Well it is said by lots of people that india and china would become super power by 2020. Lots of people agree to that!

LOL........ we RULE......... I love india ( And the film Pardes ( Desi ). Anyone seen it ? )
jamiedoneill
Why not respect all people regardless of their ethnicity? It all starts with saying "we're the best" and it ends in murder...
manumiglani
jamiedoneill wrote:
Why not respect all people regardless of their ethnicity? It all starts with saying "we're the best" and it ends in murder...

we havent said that for your kind information.
MistaKiula
LOL! I'm showing this to all my indian friends
tidruG
OK let's keep it civil here... I don't want to lock this.
So far we've had threads calling jamiedoneill a retard and what not... let's tone it down. No more name-calling, especially since there have been quite a few controversies surrounding Gandhiji.

And he does raise a valid point... let's not blindly idolize one man OK?
manumiglani
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All public figures should be criticised whether they be good or bad, because in the end blind idol worship is bad bad bad.

Man, no facts and all bullshit,,,,,,,, no one got any facts to prove there points ,,,,, they just keep posting the things which do not have anything related to this topic.
manumiglani
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Man, no facts and all bullshit,,,,,,,, no one got any facts to prove there points ,,,,, they just keep posting the things which do not have anything related to this topic.
manumiglani
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mceejaydee
Chess was invented in India?!!?!?!?!?!? Never knew that, after playing chess for awhile I did not know that.
Devil
There is One more game ,i forgot the name of it ,i think it is chaupad or chaupal, i dont know what it is called in english , but it is something like monopoly , the only diff is that u loose real money in this game , and the shape is not square , but like 4 roads ,

the game is played from the 4th century till today , it was akbars FAV game
whplace
Golf too!

That was also found by indians! And we are not saying we are great and all! We are just telling what we feel abiout our country. If you like your country start your own thread.

Thank you,

whplace
jamiedoneill
Chess is indeed Indian, it's shatrunj, and the so-called Arabic numberals (0123456789) are Indian too.
Devil
india also has the biggest dish feild in the world ,
in pune it spreads across some 25 to 30 km , the remotness of this place facing the ocean , makes it the best place in the world to look at the stars , plus the all the dish which are very big in size are made up of cheap materials but it looks like a net ,so it allows the air to pass through the dish itself making it very stable , stablilty of the dish is very important for looking at signals from the space ,

india also has a dish in the himalays , it is the worlds highest placed dish , but it is controlled 1000s of kms away in bangalore , india is also one of the very few countries to launch a satelite of the size of gslv , there are only 3 countries which have done so ,

india also plans to go to the moon in 2008 and plans to send space orbiter by the end of the decade ,

india has the highest number of laguages spoken in a single country ,
manumiglani
Quote:
india has the highest number of laguages spoken in a single country

There are about 176 languages spoken in India.
helk
I think india is an amazing country simply for the history of it's religious fundamentalism. I've just been reading about it, and it's interesting stuff.
manumiglani
Quote:
How many Indians have won a Nobel Prize?

The exact number is 4 (Four) .