FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Let W3C Validate Your website

shijian77
http://validator.w3.org/

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) develops interoperable technologies (specifications, guidelines, software, and tools) to lead the Web to its full potential. W3C is a forum for information, commerce, communication, and collective understanding.

Validate your website for the following aspects:

Accessibility
Amaya
Annotea
CC/PP
Compound Document Formats
CSS
CSS Validator
Databinding
Device Independence
DOM
Efficient XML Interchange
HTML
HTML Tidy
HTML Validator
HTTP
InkML
Internationalization
Jigsaw
Libwww
MathML
Mobile Web Initiative (W3C-MWI)
Multimodal Interaction
OWL
Patent Policy
PICS
PNG
Privacy and P3P
Quality Assurance (QA)
RDF
Rich Web Clients
Rules
Semantic Web
SMIL
SOAP/XMLP
SPARQL
Style
SVG
Timed Text
URI/URL
Validators
Voice
WAI
Web APIs
Web Application Formats
Web Architecture (TAG)
WebCGM
Web Services
XForms
XHTML
XLink
XML
XML Base
XML Encryption
XML Key Management
XML Processing
XML Query
XML Schema
XML Signature
XPath
XPointer
XSL and XSLT
SamiTheBerber
W3c Validator is best thing in whole web with search-engines. It gives lots of help to web designer, who is trying make pages viewed by many browsers so how it is meant to be. I always check my pages with that and I'm proudly to have good written pages Wink

Join us! For the Valid Code!
ml
well, we already had that. look what i found some kind of treasure at the bottom of the sea
yjwong
But the validator has some bugs, though, just because it is generated by machine.
ml
Quote:
But the validator has some bugs, though

i've never noticed bugs. do you know examples?
SamiTheBerber
CSS Validator gives lots of errors, if you don't put all colors or put text color and background is transparent. It is some times difficult to get warning-free script.

But I always validate my page, it comes atomatic Razz
TRANScend
Why is validating important, by the by? I mean, I understand the importance of writing good code, but are there any other benefits to getting your webpage validated (and displaying the little check mark image they give you afterwards)?
Rhysige
It keeps you up to a high standard that should be compatible across ALL browsers.
Personally the only problem I have with it is that it cant do my members areas :/
Marston
Rhysige wrote:
It keeps you up to a high standard that should be compatible across ALL browsers.
Personally the only problem I have with it is that it cant do my members areas :/
Why not? If you're using .htaccess and .htpassword (or whatever that whacko Apache thing is called), it allows you to validate it...
Rhysige
.htaccess and .htpassword I have never touched, well except for htaccess to turn register_globals off but thats because my nicely hand crafted login system got stuffed over and was easily hackable with it on.
littlegiant
I think validation is a personal thing. If you want to do it and maintain web standards and clean code and all then I say go for it. But if anyone starts getting up on a pedestal and start preaching about it then that's when it gets my back up.

Take a look at this for a little sobering up. And yes okay, it's from the wayback machine (almost 4 years ago) but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts things haven't improved a great deal:

Quote:
W3C members: Do as we say, not as we do

In a test of whether members of the Web's premier standards group are willing to eat their own dog food, companies and organizations from Microsoft to the United States Environmental Protection Agency were found to be picky eaters.

The second biannual survey, conducted by Helsinki, Finland-based Web designer Marko Karppinen showed that only 21, or 4.6 percent, of 454 member sites Karppinen could access passed the W3C's own HTML validator, which tests for grammatically correct HTML.

The results showed marginal improvement from Karppinen's first survey six months ago, when 3.7 percent of surveyed member sites were shown to have used valid HTML.

Improved or not, Karppinen called the results a stinging indictment of the members' commitment to Web standards.

"The W3C's mission is not only to come up with these standards but also to promote them," Karppinen wrote in an e-mail interview. "The world needs to use them if there is to be any benefit. And it's quite reasonable to assume that this work would start with their own membership. If it has, the results are pretty sad."

More...