FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Student Learns Valuable lessons from Father

S3nd K3ys
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college.

Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth. She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The
self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a
very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have
time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is you friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on
campus, college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades!
I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican Party."
Rotengel
Great post. What a way to put that issue into perspective. Smile
theo
mm
meaningful
great
smokey4life
Very Happy man that was a great story i had to print that out and show a couple others Wink
angelo
I have to say, I agree with the statement alone. I have learned lessons from my father. A lot of it!
a.han
the big thing i noticed with this post is that it assumes that just because someone pays lower taxes (partygir) they must not be as hardworking as a high taxpayer (daughter).

Just because someone pays less taxes doesn't mean they are lazy and just scrounge of the state. The majority of low income workers are hard workers but they never had the chances that people from richer backgrounds get - so they usually end up in a cycle of low income.

It is my opinion that taxing higher earners 'hurts' them less as they can pay for it.

Probably a better comparision is someone who had less resources, say they could only afford out of date books and had to find a job to feed themselves. They work as hard as the daughter but just can't get the grades. Would it be fair to transfer some GPA points in that scenario? Although this is unfair it's not as strainght a decision as the previous case.

But this case is an extreme and there are always two sides to a story.
icedGEEK
Rotengel wrote:

I laughed SO hard at that.
But the issue is important.

I cannot stand the Liberal Demorcats in England.

Rolling Eyes Some guy came in to talk to us and said he wasn't even going to vote for his party ; great moral booster.
statusfashions
great post.
i tottaly agree with the point mentioned.
nimbuscogitare
I grew up on welfare, not by choice but by necessity. I work hard for what I make and refuse to take more than I deserve for my work, save when I am in desperate need. I then work to pay it back. My mother worked very hard to support me and my siblings. A time when she did not appear completely exausted does not redily come to mind. Money and gpa are not so simulare as the story would imply. The point of welfare is not to let the lazy stay lazy but rather to give people like myself and my family a chance to move out from under the wieght of obligation to society to a point where we may give what is obligated and then aid it health and growth. I have seen the welfare system abused. People get away with it because the system does not have the manpower, training, time, or drive to be sure it doesnt happen. I dont beleive cutting funding to it to be an appropriate solution. I have read many of your posts and you always have "facts" to back them up, something I find admirable. I know others who have "facts" to prove them wrong. I myself have not delved deep enof into the relm of politics to say if one is right or the other but in this case I lived it. Things do not change by giving or taking money things change by taking action, money only greeses the process.

Take it all in before you tear it down.
saiyeek
icedGEEK wrote:
Rotengel wrote:

I laughed SO hard at that.
But the issue is important.

I cannot stand the Liberal Demorcats in England.

Rolling Eyes Some guy came in to talk to us and said he wasn't even going to vote for his party ; great moral booster.

I agree.
ericbobson
The way I see the UK Lib Dems is that they aren't really trying to take power. They serve as an opponent to the Tories and to Labour and almost provide a reasonable standpoint for voters. This allows people to focus on issues that ACTUALLY matter instead of being dragged into the endless beuracracy that Blair can offer us.
LeviticusMky
This is a very blatant breach of human nature.

The two things that you are comparing here are 1) Money and 2) Intelligence

Money is a representation of your physical ability to control physical phenomena in human culture.

Intelligence is the inborn and environmentally grown potential of any singular human.

Money is not a fair and stable variable to determine someone's ability and willingness to work. There are massive arrays of people who make their riches by living off the hard work and effort of others. Similarly, there are people who have almost nothing to their name, yet work harder and put more effort into life than anyone else on the planet.

Intelligence, however, is not such a skewed system. Intelligence is a product of genes and upbringing, as well personal growth. Intelligence is a stable description of a person's ability and willingness to contribute to the betterment of the human race.

In contrast, monetary gain is the human drive to suck energy out of other people and places, preferrably by exerting as little of your own energy as possible.

Your posts continue to try and convert and rally by subversive and confusing means.
criticaldensity
its amazing how close minded and stubborn some people are. They are part of ONE team and they will never leave, no matter how it changes or what it stands for. They will go down with the ship no matter what. And they bash the opponent to endless degree just because they are fixed in their own mind. They never open it to see other points of view or let in different education. They would stand by their idol even if he turned into the devil.
It's amazing how much time and effort people spend to hate the other side and the lengths they would go to. Like they were brainwashed.

I consider myself in the middle, consituting values from both sides, sometimes to extreme lengths too radical to share with the public. But atleast I am open minded and not one sided.
S3nd K3ys
criticaldensity wrote:
its amazing how close minded and stubborn some people are. They are part of ONE team and they will never leave, no matter how it changes or what it stands for. They will go down with the ship no matter what. And they bash the opponent to endless degree just because they are fixed in their own mind. They never open it to see other points of view or let in different education. They would stand by their idol even if he turned into the devil.
It's amazing how much time and effort people spend to hate the other side and the lengths they would go to. Like they were brainwashed.

I consider myself in the middle, consituting values from both sides, sometimes to extreme lengths too radical to share with the public. But atleast I am open minded and not one sided.

If you're talking about me, I converted from the Democrats a few years ago because they're so full of BS.