FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Win XP not recognizing all of my Video RAM

SystemWisdom
I just got a new Gfx card recently, and after installing it, I have noticed little change in my graphics.

I know it is a 64mb Video card ( it's a friends old card) but my PC is only registering it as 32mb.

When I first turn on the PC it does a self-diagnostic check and displays 64mb of Video RAM available, but then Win XP only shows it as a 32mb Video card in the Device Manager. (My games are only seeing 32mb as well)..

Any ideas on how to get Win XP to recognize all 64mb of RAM on the video card? (Yes I DL'd the latest driver for the card, I think it is an XP setting somewhere)...
n0obie4life
Sorry for hijacking the topic Smile

But, Windows XP doesn't reconize my Total RAM too. It shows it as 480mb when I have 512mb.
eday2010
It might actually just be a 32 meg card that gets the rest of the RAM from the system. I had one like that once.
tingkagol
umm... what does dxdiag say? If they both coincide with what the device manager says, then what he ^ said.
Naif
Thats weird... The fact that during the POST your BIOS detects the card and its memory as 64 MB means that it has been recongized properly. Windows shouldnt have any problems in registring all the memory available. It could have been a driver problem but then you said you installed the latest drivers. I dont think there is any such setting under Windows which would limit the amount of memory being loaded.

On your friends PC, did it get detected properly? Even though the BIOS is detecting your graphics card and your memory properly, still there might be a chance the card might be faulty, whats why I am asking if whether it got detected properly on your friends computer?
djclue917
SystemWisdom wrote:
I just got a new Gfx card recently, and after installing it, I have noticed little change in my graphics.

I know it is a 64mb Video card ( it's a friends old card) but my PC is only registering it as 32mb.

When I first turn on the PC it does a self-diagnostic check and displays 64mb of Video RAM available, but then Win XP only shows it as a 32mb Video card in the Device Manager. (My games are only seeing 32mb as well)..

Any ideas on how to get Win XP to recognize all 64mb of RAM on the video card? (Yes I DL'd the latest driver for the card, I think it is an XP setting somewhere)...

I think that you didn't install the correct drivers for that particular card. Windows XP detects it as a 32MB card because the card's drivers tell XP so. The thing to do is to verify if you had installed the correct drivers. If not, reinstall the card with the correct drivers.

One more thing, the driver might be the right one but is very old. In this case, you need to upgrade to the latest release.

HTH

Darwin
djclue917
n0obie4life wrote:
Sorry for hijacking the topic Smile

But, Windows XP doesn't reconize my Total RAM too. It shows it as 480mb when I have 512mb.

512 MB - 480 MB = 32 MB

I have a hunch that the missing 32 MB is shared memory. That is, it is the video RAM that your system is using because your "graphics card" is built-in.

Just check your motherboards manual or just navigate through the BIOS setup.
Or if you don't like to go to the BIOS setup, you could just observe the POST messages. If you are seeing something like "524288 KB with 32 MB shared", then the missing 32MB is really the shared memory.

HTH

Darwin
FriBogdan
Look at the bios. The first thing u should do is to set the default setings in BIOS (or optimal). U didn't say what motherboard u have so i can't say more...but the BIOS could be the problem (a setting wrong...). Or...if u didn't uninstalled the driver when u put this new graphic card...u should. So...the options are...or the BIOS...or reinstall the driver.
Shiva
i think i have an answer to your problems...

it is quite normal what you too are having as a problem.
you see, in graphichcards the card (or windows, I can't remember exatlly) it telle the computer that about 32 MB RAM from the graphics card must be saved for the card, and may NOT go to the computer..
the reason is, that the graphics could be very bad if the game is stealing all the RAM from the computer. with this method there is allways saved RAM for det Graphics. i can be changed, but that would be by a profeccional, not by me Wink

thats why a card with 64 RAM only accepts 32 for the computer, and the card with 512 only accepst 480...

simple... and i hope you got a little help there Very Happy
vic_msn
Go to the BIOS and check for the Integrated prepherals option,in tah look for AGP and select the size as 64MB and speed as 4X or 8X depending on your card.usually some bios setting gets reset due to some boot failure.Then in windows right click on a empty place and select properties in the display dialog box choose settings tab and check and click Advanced button and in the adapter tab check the size,it must be 64 MB. :arrow:
vic_msn
Shiva wrote:
i think i have an answer to your problems...

it is quite normal what you too are having as a problem.
you see, in graphichcards the card (or windows, I can't remember exatlly) it telle the computer that about 32 MB RAM from the graphics card must be saved for the card, and may NOT go to the computer..
the reason is, that the graphics could be very bad if the game is stealing all the RAM from the computer. with this method there is allways saved RAM for det Graphics. i can be changed, but that would be by a profeccional, not by me ;)

thats why a card with 64 RAM only accepts 32 for the computer, and the card with 512 only accepst 480...

simple... and i hope you got a little help there :D

Its not like that
nam_siddharth
Download latest driver for your graphics card. It will fix you problem. The same problem was my graphics card memory, and I fixed it by downloading latest driver from the internet.