FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is your fav. guitar solo of all time?

mohamed
Whats yours? Favourite guitar solo of all time.

mine is Allman Brothers - Desdemona (Live)

Here's a video of the performance

Guitarist Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.

Phenomenal perfomance that one.

I have Jimi favorites but i'd leave it as this for this one.
paulmason
I reckon Stairway and freebird are amazing. One I really like though is
HIM - Salt in our Wounds. It wouldn't be super tricky to play, but to me it sounds perfect.
Healckles
The best guitar players:

Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani

and others
eggnog
Anything by Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) like yellow ledbetter or evenflow or some of the smaller solos done by Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) such as Do The Evolution
lockwolf
The song burning heat in the game Dance Dance revolution is a great one. I bet your thinking that its not a guitar solo but if you look on the web, you can find a few versions that are actually done with the guitar.
dreamt_death
Sweet Child O Mine, Slash.

I listened to it over and over again. There are other solos I really like, but this was first one I was attracted to.
shr3dd
the last solo in Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci, on the live g3 vid, its about 6:30 into the song
BioHaZaRD
Skynyrd - Free Bird
Led Zep - Stairway To Heaven

I would have to say Free Bird's solo is my all time favorite but the entire song I like Stairway to Heaven better.
Dragonfly
The best guitar solo players for me are:

Joe Satriani
Eric Clapton
Steve Vai
Slash(GNR)

and many more....
Caxius
lee gaze (lostprophets)
Wink
Ioana
... the Solo of Robert Fripp in the song Fallen Angel on the Album Red.

Any other people around who like King Crimson?
I listen to them in my family since I was 3 years old and still like them...
homg
i like rob freeman's music. that's all i can think of right now though.
Kiliox
The best guitar solo players for me are:

Jimmy Hendrix
Jimmy Page
boringest
Jimmy Hendrix and Eric Clapton!

they are the best! =)
greekcovers
Garry Moore - The Loner
Deep Purple - Child in time
shr3dd
Ioana wrote:

King Crimson is teh shizznit. Ozzy actually covered 21st Century Schizoid Man on his new box set. I love King Crimson though. Sad no one really knows about them.
babaoriley821
Anything by Hendrix is amazing but I'd prolly say the Voodoo Chile is one of the best. The beginging is also very cool with the Crybaby goin on, Also Red House, the whole thing is great.
dragnarok
i would have to say i like "Eruption" by Van Halen. I just love the way it sounds Very Happy
CrimsonStrange
Although most Pink Floyd fans have never heard it, I think the original, uncut version of Pigs On The Wing has the most heart-breakingly beautiful guitar solo in it that I've ever heard.
And it's not even done by Gilmour - the solo is done by a man known as Snowy White.
According to the info I've found, his real name is Terence White, and he started playing with Pink Floyd when he recorded a guitar solo for the extended version of Pigs On the Wing in 1976.
Since then, he's more or less toured with everybody. LoL

On the whole, I love David Gilmour's guitar work.
His solo in Time from the Dark Side Of The Moon album is another favorite.

Hendrix's 1983... A Merman I Should Turn To Be is amazing, as well.
af169
Skynyrd - Free Bird
Eric Clapton
Sweet Child O Mine, Slash
and many more....
EJK-lifesaving-nederland
Certainly Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee. In the band Rush they play together with Neil Peart and I just love it. Just listen to this perfect music.
La villa Stangiato and The Trees are the best songs.
dannyspencer
My favourite solo of all time has to be Hendrix free bird. I think in the dvd video of it the camera work at the time failed to keep up with his fingering (the fingers move faster than the frame rate that they recorded it in) and so you dont see all the fingering which equals absolutely awesome!

Dan
Vempyre
You guys know Children of Bodom?

Well Lead guitarest/singer (really awsome guitarest) does... well repeditive solos so, I'll say over all (of all the songs they've done) a bit of everything by them makes a good solo Confused if what I just typed makes sense... Wink
Slowhand
I think the best guitar player is ERIC CLAPTON. Most people dont know how good he is! He plays rock, blues and ballads.. Afcourse Jimi Hendrix is a legend on the guitar, but Eric Clapton is amazing! If you see him playing on his guitar then you think.. wow! Very Happy
valo
Raise the hammer - Hammerfall

Guns N' Roses and Judas Priest also have some great guitarsolos, as well Metallica.
hayalperest
flaminco rules
dannyspencer
Thats true some classical spanish guitar type stuff is absolutely awesome. Im always remember Eric Clapton did a clasical jazz piece that is mind blowing but i am sure there are much better spanish or latin american guitar solists that him. Im thinking Paco de Lucia etc who can play the guitar so sweetly. mmmm...
arch23
so many of them, how can one choose...
anyway, here are two - cliffs of dover (eric johnson) beat it (EVH)
cheezay2000
Healckles wrote:
The best guitar players:

Eric Clapton
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani

and others

You forgot Jimi Hendrix and Andres Segovia.

The best guitar solo I've ever heard is actually the entire song of "For the Love of God" by Steve Vai...gah that song is awesome/beautiful. He's a great artist.
zender
Ioana wrote:

Got some bootlegs, fav song is 'Dinosaur' and 'The World`s My Oyster Soup Kitchen Floor Wax Museum'. Actually just started to know them so... more coming up (i hope).
burzum
my favourite solo would be Jeff Loomis(Nevermore) solo in Final Product, just awesome
deos
Jonny Greenwood
"Paranoid Android", Radiohead, OK COMPUTER
Freezon
Buckhead - Nottingham Lace - If you haven't heard Buckethead play guitar, you are missing out. Everyone should definitly check him out.
quinman22
My favorites have to be Master Of Puppets by metallica, Hangar 18 by megadeth, and Trust by megadeth. Master of Puppets is smooth and cool on the first part, then it just owns on the second part. Then Hangar 18 is liek the whole fricken song is a guitar masterpiece, and Trust jsut makes me tingle because it sounds awesome.
prongs_386
solo in as i am by dream theater
or as a whole song probably always with me, always with you by joe satriani
crasso
I really adore Mark Ribot's solo on the Tom Waits song "Hoist that rag" from the last album. Brilliant.
romaop
Stevie Ray
This guy knew how to play
So have fun
And listen S R Vaughan
damj
David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb
Andrew426
The solo from KISS - detroit rock city.

Its technically not a solo, because Paul Stanley joins in after the first bar.
Its a f**king great solo tho, its not overly complex or anything but I listen to it over and over and it gets better every time.
floyd7rose
Caxius wrote:
lee gaze (lostprophets)
Wink
hahaha thats funny.
fireydeviant
Firewind - Feast of the Savages

or

Yngwie Malmsteen - Baroque & Roll

Firewind is tops in pure artistry, as compared to Malmsteen, who is more of a technique player than pure song writer, though he does have some good songs as well.
shem_lexluger2
The guitar solo that captivated me most and inspired me to pick up the guitar was Hotel California both unplugged and original. The song i played over n over again on the guitar was Little Wing by hendrix. however countless artist played this track, some of d most memorable ones are SRV, Derek n Dominos (clapton), clapton alone, metallica, G3 and others....

Great piece Very Happy
pizzownage
my favorite would have to be the one in Freebird by Lynard Skynard, or any of the guitar playing by Eric Clapton.

Also, a lot ofthe AC/DC songs have some good solos.

thanks a lot for everything

pizzownage
catscratches
All of Children of Bodom's songs have great solos. And many of them too. So I can't pick one of them. But one of Children of Bodom's. I'm certain about that part.
Bananamango
The best guitar solo for me is SUMMER SONG by Satriani
eXon3
A classic one - Hotel California by The Eagles.
It's one of the greatest songs ever. Huge and awesome guitar solo. Pretty amazing, and you can never get fed up with listening to it.
Rosanova
Hi there,

I'm a little disappointed that no one has mentioned following:

Randy Rhoads (R.I.P. 1954 - 1982)
Jake E. Lee
Zakk Wylde
Alex Skolnick

Else do I agree about the most of others mentioned.

Cheers!
spinout
Status quo - rock n roll is a great one.
shivajibanerjee
Well my fav guitar solo would have to be
Megadeth(Marty friedman ) - Hangar 18
The change in tempo and the use of eastern licks merged with some classic headbanding riffs, and the variation in speed make it the best guitar solo for me ,
Other Solo Guitarists Whom i feel are exceptional are
Joe Sat ( aint it obvious)
Steve Vai (another obvious one)
Mattias IA Eklundh(Dont go by the name this guy is simply amazing)
Led Zep(Jimmy Page)
Eric Clapton
BB King
Jhonny Winter
Dave Mason
Peter Frampton
Jeff Beck
Jason Becker(How could i forget this guy is insane)
liljp617
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

Jake E. Lee
Zakk Wylde
Alex Skolnick

Cheers!

=/ Those aren't solos...why would people mention them as solos?

Anyway...

Comfortably Numb (both solos)
Wish You Were Here (intro solo)...simple, yet so great
Walk - Dimebag
The Sleep - Dimebag
Die To Live - Vai
Cemetery Gates - Dimebag
Floods - Dimebag
Random things from Satch Smile
The Unforgiven I and II
Master of Puppets
Fade To Black
One
Hotel California
Free Bird (obviously)
Stairway to Heaven
Little Wing
Sweet Child of Mine
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Crazy Train
Diary of a Madman
No More Tears

etc. etc.
outofnicks
I tend to favor music played with feeling over technical virtousity, but of course Hendrix had both. Not much better than his instrumental solo at Woodstock, that always sends shivers down my spine.
Then if you had asked for my favorite sitar solo, I'd say Steely Dan's Denny Dias on Do It Again. I always thought that was a guitar for years.
Rosanova
liljp617 wrote:
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

Jake E. Lee
Zakk Wylde
Alex Skolnick

Cheers!

=/ Those aren't solos...why would people mention them as solos?

Anyway...

Comfortably Numb (both solos)
Wish You Were Here (intro solo)...simple, yet so great
Walk - Dimebag
The Sleep - Dimebag
Die To Live - Vai
Cemetery Gates - Dimebag
Floods - Dimebag
Random things from Satch Smile
The Unforgiven I and II
Master of Puppets
Fade To Black
One
Hotel California
Free Bird (obviously)
Stairway to Heaven
Little Wing
Sweet Child of Mine
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Crazy Train
Diary of a Madman
No More Tears

etc. etc.

Hi there,

Anywhere do I part agree, but the main reason that I haven't mentioned any solos is of that simple reason that I can't take out one from another.... Smile, as these solos that they had made is each in their own class.

By the way did I forgot to mention Michael Schenker and even his brother in Scorpions.

Cheers!
MRaftery
It's not a "solo" in the ordinary sense of the word but the intro to Little Wing (Hendrix) is soemthing else. Great rhythm and melody blend - what Hendrix was all about.
liljp617
MRaftery wrote:
It's not a "solo" in the ordinary sense of the word but the intro to Little Wing (Hendrix) is soemthing else. Great rhythm and melody blend - what Hendrix was all about.

Razz The solo itself in that song is very nice. SRV's version was a beauty as well.
Gabriel_Ns
Herman Li Solos!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
weareone
I think the best guitar player is ERIC CLAPTON. Most people dont know how good he is! He plays rock, blues and ballads.. Afcourse Jimi Hendrix is a legend on the guitar, but Eric Clapton is amazing! If you see him playing on his guitar then you think.. wow!
Guelila
My favorite solo is Dream Theater's Good Night Kiss (Score version)
its not the technicality of the guitar but the power and the melodic strength of the music itself that really made me fall into it Smile
delahaye
Mine is the solo in All along the watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.
liljp617
weareone wrote:
I think the best guitar player is ERIC CLAPTON. Most people dont know how good he is! He plays rock, blues and ballads.. Afcourse Jimi Hendrix is a legend on the guitar, but Eric Clapton is amazing! If you see him playing on his guitar then you think.. wow!

Most people do know how good he is lol He's one of the more mainstream, well known guitarists.
rufa
damj wrote:
David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb

Yeah I sure love that one as well! Great, just great solo!
ramgottwallpapers
My favorite guitar solo of all time its Seek And Destroy from Metallica sounds pretty good live. Somebody watch some webcast of this tour? If you want to see some of the next webcast PM me I can share the link.

Metallica rules the world, Large life to Metal. Twisted Evil
nickcurtis
erm probly crossroads by eric clapton but some sons by mark knofler (dire straits) are very gd to
projectnowhere
oh, i love the solo of stairway to heaven...

and dream theater has so many awesome soli, i would not know where to begin...
HARRINGT0N
I have to go with Paranoid Android by Radiohead. I love that band.
revani
Orphaned Land has great solos. Ocean Land and The Storm Still Rages Inside has the best solos of Orphaned Land.

I also like Megadeth's solo, My Last Words. Just before Dave saying "You! Next Victim!". Yeah, that's solo Very Happy
burntup56
sublime's intro to what i got , a pretty catchy tune, not the most amazing solo but im pretty sure most have already been covered in this thread
Futumuch
Freebird by Skynard gets my vote. Also like November Rain by Guns n Roses.
liljp617
Mr. Crowley (2nd solo)
Crazy Train (although overplayed)
Bark At The Moon
No More Tears
Cemetery Gates
This Love
Floods
The Unforgiven I/II
Fade To Black
One
Sad But True
Nothing Else Matters
Sanitarium
Eruption
Comfortably Numb
Wish You Were Here
On The Turning Away
Marooned
The Clairvoyant
Number of the Beast

Too many more to name...
Vitalist
sweet child o` mine - Slash Rocks!!!
milkwnstarrie
It's got to be sweet child o' mine! Never ever got bored of that... always makes me wanna pick up my guitar and start jamming around.

If you're a fan of acousitc guitar, you must watch out for Andy Mckee on youtube! His original acoustic solos are amzaing and beautiful. Brilliant technique with heavenly harmony. Check out Rylynn... my absolute favourite. and his rendition of Drifting is superb too. Mind-blowing stuff.

Then if you're a ukulele fan (the 4-string mini-guitar-like thingy), you can't miss Jake Shimabukuro! Pure talent. Go check him out and he will sweep you off your feet!
zimben
i like 80's,Dokken - Mirror Mirror...may be not perfect but that solo very cool for me Smile...actually i like virtuoso solos but Kee Marcello great too.
xtranophilist
I love almost all guitar solos.
I love bass, drum, keyboard and even vocal solos.

Here's my favourite lead solo:
Smoke on the Water by Depp Purple
( Love the Metallica cover even more)
schooldays
Hendrix's four-part solo on All Along The Watchtower.
ctrl_alt_delete
All the names mentioned above were amazing, but Slash solo in Sweet child of mine and November rain is just immortal. Those were the days when guitar solo's immortalized musicians.
slashnburn99
Best solo for me is

Bon jovi - Dead or Alive - (Richie Sambora)

Raw passion - none of other solos come close and thats in 20 years of work
jurl
John Petrucci - Glasgow Kiss Very Happy

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=t25AOSxZZkI

awesome!