FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it a good idea to...

KHO
put Linux and Windows on the same hard drive so you can choose between them on boot? And are there any downsides to this?
Natrualkiller
I did actually about 5 mins ago no problems at all or yet.....
KHO
hmm, l'm getting a notebook, and the more l read about vista, the less l ever want to see it Neutral so l'm thinking that doing this, and easing over to linux would work, and my copy of windows xp pro would still work for about 5 more years before MS totally shuns it anyway, so...maybe that would be enough time to get myself up on linux.

And also, l've heard something about a way to get windows only programs and apps to work in linux, can this really be done?
Naif
Windows and Linux can coexist peaceful. There arent any downsides to it. And what you heard is true. You can use a windows emulate linke Wine to run Windows based applications under Linux

Nice avatar by the way. It got me thinking for a second Razz
n0obie4life
There's a downside to it. You have to select which OS to boot when you turn on your PC.

IE, you can't walk away then wait for Windows to boot like before Smile
KHO
lol, maybe l can make a something that would execute windows if nothing is selected in 20sec. a .bat file might do it, the only trouble is getting it to load on DOS. Neutral
but l really don't think thats that big a downside, so l'm sold, thanks guys, once l get my notebook l'm gonna put both on there, that will make my life fun Neutral

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the avatar, l hope the admins don't get mad that its a direct link lol, watch out for the Neutral's mad bandwidth usage Neutral