You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help-Digital Camera selection

I'm looking out for a lightweight, slim & 5+ megapixel 3x+ optical zoom high-quality digital camera with motion-dampners (to reduce problems while clickin in motion) of about 16000Rs (~350 USD)

It should have a 2.5inch screen to view pictures, should take a DVD quality movie... the works... all in one great package @ great cost..

I came to conclude on these models:

Casio EX-Z750 Exilim Zoom Digital Camera(has AntiShake)

# Features: Super-life battery enables up to 325 shots on a single charge
# Powered by Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (included, with charger); stores images on SD cards (camera features 8.3MB of internal memory)
# 7-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 15 x 20-inch prints
# 3x optical zoom; large 2.5-inch LCD display
# High-speed start-up enables shooting approximately 0.9 seconds after the power is turned on

Casio EXILIM EX-S500 Digital Camera(has AntiShake)

# Features: Movies have up to 640 x 480-pixel resolution
# Anti-shake, auto-macro, and quick shutter features produce great photos
# 5.0-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 13 x 17-inch prints
# Up to 80 minutes of continuous MPEG-4 video with audio capture and playback
# 2.2-inch high-resolution TFT color display

Casio Exilim EX-Z120 Digital Camera (has AntiShake)

Fujifilm Finepix F10 Digital Camera

The F10 is probably the best consumer level point and shot camera for low light shooting. This quickly operating camera captures images at 6.3 megapixels, has a 2.5 inch LCD, 3x optical zoom and it can take pictures at ISO 1600. The lithium ion battery is good for 500 shots.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9

Digital camera , 6,000,000 pixels, LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.5 in - Color , 16 MB - SD Memory Card

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7

Powered by AA-size batteries (charger included); stores images on MS cards
7-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 15 x 20-inch prints
3x optical zoom; large 2.5-inch LCD display
Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens is specially produced for very compact cameras
In 5-shot burst mode, capture up to five 5 MP shots or 100 shots VGA at 0.9 frames per second

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T5 (silver)

Digital camera , 5,100,000 pixels, LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.5 in - Color , - Integrated

Canon PowerShot A620

Digital camera , 7,100,000 pixels, LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2 in - Color , 32 MB - SD Memory Card Crying or Very sad 400 USD

Canon Powershot SD500

# Features: Powered by rechargeable Lithium-ion battery; stores images on SD memory card
# The first Digital Elph with an amazing 7.1 MP CCD, which captures enough detail for photo-quality 15 x 20-inch prints
# 3x optical zoom; 2.0-inch LCD display
# Enhanced movie mode with fast 60-frame-per-second capture rate
# DIGIC II Image Processor provides fast, accurate image processing

Canon PowerShot SD400

# Features: Powered by rechargeable Lithium-ion battery; stores images on SD memory card
# 5-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 13 x 17-inch prints
# 3x optical zoom; 2.0-inch LCD display; ultra-compact design (.8 inches thick)
# Enhanced movie mode with fast 60-frame-per-second capture rate
# DIGIC II Image Processor provides fast, accurate image processing

Kodak EasyShare V550

Digital camera , 5,000,000 pixels, LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.5 in - Color

Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1

The Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 is a stylish 8 megapixel digital camera with a slimline body that is just 19.5mm deep. Available in silver, black or red, the Konica Minolta X1 features Konica Minolta's Anti-Shake technology, as used on the company's range of digital SLR cameras. This enables you to take sharp photos at slower shutter speeds than usual. The Konica Minolta X1's anti-shake system is different, however, to the other Konica Minolta cameras, in that the lens unit is moved to compensate for camera shake, rather than the CCD sensor. The Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 also offers a large 2.5 inch LCD screen (at the expense of an optical viewfinder) which is is protected by an acrylic panel to reduce scratching. Finally, there is a a newly designed "flat" 3x optical zoom lens, which means that the lens doesn't protrude when zooming and is therefore truly 19.5mm deep.

Nikon Coolpix S4 Digital Camera

Some more are:
Canon PowerShot A95
This is a good choice for both novices and savvy photographers who want manual control and an articulated LCD in an affordable package.

Canon PowerShot S70
If you're looking for a solid camera that takes excellent photos and includes true wide-angle capabilities, the compact S70 is a very good choice.

Epson L-500V
The L-500V takes very good pictures and decent video, and we adore the gorgeous 2.5-inch LCD.

Fuji FinePix E550
This zippy little compact camera takes great pictures at fast speeds, and includes plenty of options for skilled shooters.

Nikon Coolpix 7900
This camera provides lots of creative possibilities, with excellent scene modes, good image quality and fast recycle time.

Olympus Camedia C-7000 Zoom
The C-7000 Zoom has enthusiast-class power squeezed into a compact size. It's easy to operate for non-techies, but versatile and powerful enough for demanding users.

Bugger the compact issue, you will soon get over it by moving to a DSLR for the quality and controlability!.
D-SLR is the way of life!
kindly illustrate on the subject...

But I need a compact one with all the requirements i mentioned earlier...

Which one is best in the lot i presented
which one can be better than the best in this lot?
Small size will always compromise the quality of the pictures. I know several people who swear by Olympus.

I personally love the DiMAGE & EXILIM cameras for their size, but I believe the Panasonic Lumix series is for you.

SLR is the way to go for absolute quality though. And it's easy to keep a big camera in it's case hung over your shoulder. You get used to it Smile

Fujifilm FinePix F10
300$ CNET editors' review-7.2; Average user rating-8.6; really stood out for my choice, i think...
How is it.. anyone used it...
CNET says:
The good: Usable ISO 800 and ISO 1,600 sensitivities; formidable battery life; versatile 2.5-inch LCD.
The bad: Limited manual controls; sparse scene-preset options; fringing problems in photos.
The bottom line: This compact camera's versatile 2.5-inch LCD, usable high-ISO photos, and shoot-all-day battery are offset by a few image-quality issues.
# Features: Stores images on xD-Picture Cards (16MB card included)
# 6.3-megapixel sensor captures enough detail for photo-quality 14 x 19-inch prints
# 3x optical zoom; large 2.5-inch LCD display
# Maximum sensitivity of ISO 1600; super-fast start-up (1.3 seconds), shooting interval (1.2 seconds), and shutter time lag (.01 seconds)
# Powered by a Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (included); 500 pictures per single full battery charge
Review: View Review for Fujifilm FinePix F10
Overview: Digital camera , 6,300,000 pixels, LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.5 in - Color , 16 MB - XD-Picture Card

User opinions:
ISO up to 1600!! 6.3 Pixels, High Speed Shooting, Stabilizing feature
Menu Button a little to close for my taste, but who cares, the pictures are simply the best!
"Near perfect low light and shake free photos. A pocket camera with the most reliable and best photo features"
Best dollar value. Best Point & Shoot ever.
Pros far out weigh minor cons. Controls need to be studied first in manual.
The Fuji FinePix F10 is compact consumer digital camera that rivals the capabilities and image quality of expensive digital SLR (dSLR) cameras.The F10 sports a 6.3 Megapixel 5th-generation Super CCD-HR sensor (enough to make prints above 11" x 14"), a RealPhoto Processor chip, a 3X optical zoom Fujinon lens, and a massive 2.5"TFT LCD display.
The F10 is ideally suited as a compact camera for a photography enthusiast who needs a second camera that rivals their primary camera's image quality or an individual or family that requires a compact camera with the highest possible image quality and speed. For families who like to share one camera, the Auto mode should be simple enough for even little children to use.
See detail and absence of dust in these pic shots:

Other real good deals:
(Got thru CNet)

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 CNET editors' review-7.6; Average user rating-7.8
The good: Ultracompact design; big, bright 2.5-inch screen; satisfying set of manual controls; useful video modes; solid overall performance; commendable image quality.
The bad: Sluggish burst mode; can't charge battery or off-load photos without using the dock.
The bottom line: The Casio Exilim EX-Z750 marries form and function with a great design and satisfying manual controls.

Canon PowerShot SD300 CNET editors' review-7.4; Average user rating-8
The good: Ultracompact; solid battery life; excellent burst capabilities; low shutter lag; versatile movie mode.
The bad: Few manual controls or scene modes; inaccurate viewfinder with no diopter adjustment.
The bottom line: Putting excellent performance in an ultracompact package, the SD300 should please photographers who don't want manual controls or plentiful scene modes.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7
CNET editors' review-7.2; Average user rating-7.2
The good: Optical image stabilization; solid image quality; versatile burst mode; large LCD; easy operation with no-brainer Simple mode.
The bad: No manual settings; Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad low-res movie mode; poor LCD visibility in low light. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
The bottom line: High-quality optics and two image stabilization modes deliver good image quality in an ultracompact package.

Can anyone help me out...? Phulease...

Fujifilm FinePix F10 Specs

For low noise high ISO shooting in a non-SLR camera, even in darkness
6.3 million pixel 5th Generation Super CCD HR sensor
3.0x Optical Zoom 6.2X Digital Zoom
2.5-inch TFT, Approx. 115,000 Pixels, Approx. 100% coverage
Real Photo Technology for low noise at ISOs as high as 1600; fast shutter speeds prevent blur in low or natural light scenes
Movie Mode; 640x480 30fps w/sound AVI format

The FinePix F10, incorporates Fujifilm’s new Real Photo Technology(a synergy of three key devices: a sharp Fujinon 3x optical zoom lens, Fujifilm’s 5th generation Super CCD sensor and the newly developed RP Processor) for improved picture taking in low light situations, more efficient power consumption and faster overall operation. The camera can shoot at 6.3 Megapixels at ISO 1600-something no other point&shoot camera can do. The FinePix F10 is fast – very fast, in fact -- on par with the industry- leading Fujifilm FinePix E550. It goes from off to ready-to-shoot in a blink of an eye: a mere 1.3 seconds.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9S

For the Optical Image Stabilizer... very useful when in motion...
6.4 megapixel CCD
VGA (640 x 480 pixel) 30fps movie mode
Battery life (CIPA) 270-300 shots
35-105mm equiv. (3x) Leica DC Vario-Elmarit optical zoom; 4x digital zoom
Advanced Mega Optical Image Stabilizer
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9 ($400) may look like just another ultra-compact camera, but it's more than that. This camera actually has an optical image stabilizer inside the lens, which helps reduce the effects of "camera shake". The FX9 and its siblings plus the new Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 are the only compact cameras on the market with this very useful feature. Other nice things about the FX9 include its 6 Megapixel CCD, large 2.5" LCD display, AF-assist lamp, and VGA movie mode.
The camera focuses well in low light situations thanks to its AF-assist lamp. Battery life is very good for a small camera. Photo quality is good, though images could be sharper. Purple fringing and redeye are also a problem.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750

For being sliiiiiimmmmm and 7.2MegaPix
7.2 megapixel CCD
3X optical + 8X digital
The Exilim EX-Z750 is Casio's highest resolution, super-compact camera. It sports a 7.2 megapixel CCD imager, an optical 3X zoom lens and a large 2.5-inch liquid crystal display. In addition to manual operation, an extremely versatile array of shooting functions enables a variety of photo effects. Using MPEG-4 format, high quality movies can also be taken in VGA size (640 x 480 pixels) at 30 frames per second. And longer battery life enables the shooting of approximately 325 shots (CIPA standards) on a battery charge. The EX-Z750 is ideal for those looking to create superior images in challenging lighting conditions.
koolbluez, QUOTE TAGS
Look at the reviews of those cameras from these websites:

These sites provide very comprehensive and detailed reviews on cameras. I would not make a purchase without first checking these sites.

I'm currently looking for a digital SLR. These sites have helped me alot on narrowing down which camera I want to get.
Wow... this brought me closer to Fuji... FinePix F11 419$ though!!!:
Where it excels the F10 is... a higher resolution 2.5“ LCD screen, around 500 shots on a single battery charge, aperture priority and shutter priority modes, improved functionality and manual shooting options for increased creativity.

* A (aperture priority AE) and S (shutter priority AE) modes
* High resolution (153,000 pixel) 2.5-inch LCD monitor for optimum clarity and detail
* Super CCD sensor delivering 6.3 million effective pixels
* 3x optical zoom lens (F2.8 - F 5.0), equivalent to 36-108mm on a 35mm camera
* 500-shot battery life
* Class-leading sensitivity setting of ISO 1600 for photography in low light conditions with low noise (ISO 800 for clear movie shooting in low light)
* Low sensitivity of ISO 80 for ultra-high quality photography in bright conditions
* Improved macro mode for subjects as close as 5cm
* 3:2 image format option
* Quick response times (0.01 second shutter lag* and 1.3 second start-up)
* VGA movie capture of 30 frames per second with sound
* xD-Picture Card™ providing large storage capacity, lower power consumption and fast
* write speeds (16MB to 1GB capacities currently available)
* PictBridge compatible for direct printing without a PC
koolbluez, this will be the last time I'm telling you this.

You might want to consider the price of the memory type. I think xD memory is more expensive than compact flash or SD.
Fuji xD-Picture Card 512 MB Price Range: $56.00 - $70.00

Kingston 512 MB CompactFlash Card Price Range: $23.00 - $88.

Still think of quality & benefits...
Try DPreview.
They have info for dummies and for expert users.
Certainly you will find a good camera for you.

My tips:
- if you are looking for a compact camera, take care about optics. Almost all Sony's have Zeiss lenses, which are great. Panasonic have sometime Leica lenses. Canon and Nikon optics are well known as good standard optics. Avoid very small lenses. Get the biggest lens in the smallest body you are willing to carry.
- I love SD cards. They are compatible with notebooks and some PDA's. I avoid Memory Sticks and XD cards. Compact Flash are OK.
Take a look at the Panasonic FZ5. It's a megazoom camera that has image stabilization built in, but still pretty compact. It may not be as small as some of those tiny ultra-compact cameras, but the photos and videos that it takes are a lot better quality. It's got great lenzes and a 12x optical zoom. I think you can get it for around 350 or so on ebay.

It's huge maan...
I've just ordered myself a Canon PowerShot S80 on the strength of the review at At around £300 it's pricey but got ticks in all my boxes. It even records XGA resolution video!

I'll post again when I've used it.
Canon S80 looks pretty good. Lots of manual commands.
But I don't like the optics of the camera. A not very sharp lens. Sad

* people liked dpreview. Smile
I have a friend who works for Canon. She gave me a lot of insight about digital cameras and confirmed that Canon is one of the best that you can try.
I heard have released a new digi cam with wireless capability so that you can
transfer images the wireless way.It is called KODAK EASY SHARE ONE
it has 256 MB internal memory,3 inch touch screen LCD ,4 megapixels,
3x optical zoom. I am using KODAL LS 755 it is a 5 megapixel cam and pretty good indeed
Have a look at EASY SHARE ONE in this link
uhmm... guyz... we need compact, lightweight but feature rich cameras... with good MPs and clarity...

need proven technology... no xperiments
Kodak has a lot of cheap, but good cameras that fit what you want/need. Check them out! I used to have a Kodak and it worked great. It was only a 3mp. My mom just got a 5mp one for Christmas and it seems to be great so far. Good luck!

Have you bought your camera yet?

I've been looking in the local camera shop and checked out all the reviews.
There are a lot of realy good cameras. the three best ultra compact in my opinion, depending on your prioritues are:

Fujifilm Finepx F11
Pros: Best image quality in this class of camera. almost no image noise at any ISO setting except a little at 1600.
Some manual control.
Cons: Not the slickest menu, awkward cable setup for charging downloading. Flash a little harsh for real close shots EXPENSIVE XD memory

Panasonic Lumix FX9
Pros: Nice compact size, looks cool, image stabiliser, cheap SD memory
Cons: Image quality is good but quite noisy compared with the Fuji F11 ie. ISO 220 is noisier than the F11 at ISO 800, so it really needs the stabiliser.

Casia Exilim EX-S600
Pros: Smallest quality camera around, soo slim it's unbelievable. Heaps of preset scene modes, Sooo sexy looking. Also cheap SD memory.
Cons: Picture quality not quite up to the FX9 although not to noisy, just not as sharp.

All these are 6Mp cameras and all are around the same price.

If you are a fanatic for image quality get the F11
If you want a sexier look with great menus and good image quality the FX9 is great.
If you want the smallest sexiest camera with still pretty good image quality get the EX-S600.

It just depends on your priorities. They all fit in your pocket but you really notice the F11, the EX-S600 you will forget is there, the FX9 is in between.

Picture quality is biggest and ugliest is best unfortunately, but hey it's still pretty small.

You can downlaod images from many of the review sites to compare yourself. The files are big though, around 2.5 to 3 Mb.

The interesting thing is that Fujifilm announced a new F30 today and it looks much sexier then the F11, goes to ISO 3200 and the flash has been improved.

Only hassle, it's not available for a couple of months yet. It should be a killer.

See info at
My suggestion: Don't let the numbers fool you!
What do you need the camera for? For family photos viewed on-screen or printed in normal photo size (~10x13 cm) you will be satisfied with a 3 megapixel camera. (The more the better, I know - but 7 or 12 megapixel is only needed if you would print in A3 or bigger size.)
The other thing - zoom. The factor that really matters is the optical zoom. (Digital zoom does the same thing as you would enlarging the picture in MSPaint.) Again, large opical zoom factors are needed by the professionals. 3x is enough for home use. Using more (10x, for example) will blur the image, unless you use a tripod, because it will also zoom the shaking of your hands!
And the most important thing for last: LENS. No matter how big are those numbers if you have a low-quality lens. So choose carefully! Canon uses very good lenses. (Someone mentioned before that Canon makes good quality cameras - I agree!) Look for names like Zeiss! And stay away from HP - my friend had a bad experience with a HP camera: all the pictures were somehow noisy (this word might not be the correct one, but they didn't look good).
I myself have a Canon S45 for several years now - I like it very much!
And the most important thing for last: LENS. No matter how big are those numbers if you have a low-quality lens.

You are so right.

The F11 uses a Fujinon lens, their own and is very good. The FX9 uses a Leica, which is hard to beat. Casio, I think, use their own lens. Which is why their image quality is not quite up to the others, not as sharp, but still pretty good.

Best news, Panasonic also released a new FX9 replacement today the FX01.
This has got a 28mm wide angle lens, all the others are 35-36 widw. I don't really care about the max zoom, but they are all around 105-110, optical. I never use digital zoom, you can do that better in Photoshop Laughing

If the image quality has improved I think this will be the one for me. It also has ISO800 now, and ISO1600 at 3Mpix, but who wants three Mpix? Laughing Laughing

Looks nice, and is smaller than the F30
The LCD's are the same size,2.5 inch, so you can judge the diference in size from the photos, tyhe FX01 is also thinner.