FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is planning on getting VISTA?

Who is getting VISTA, and how???
Getting it and buying it.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Getting form some cheap place.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Getting from friend and getting the serial from The company itself- somewhat wrong!!!
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

GDG
Hey everyone,
want to know who is getting Vista and how they're getting it. Yea i knwo that everyone might try Best Buy or Futureshop and then when they see its like 1000 bucks they're like: "oh man thats a lot". So they go to the cheap store, lol and get it for like 500 bucks or they try to get it off a friend and get the serial off someone- they might even download if someone puts it up!!!

See my point there are so many ways to get something, and im telling you now some of them aren't nice at all especially the downloading ones- unless you go to Microsoft and ask them for a serial then i say it might be ok, but it would still be nice if you paye dthem something!!!

P.S.
A word to the moderators and the admin, i have read the rules thoroughly and have seen that there is nothing against this, or as i understood and hope thee is nothing wrong. Please if there is close the thread and mayeb add a new rule or please inform me of the rule i might have missed thank you!!!

-~-GDG-~-
KHO
meh, l've looked at alot that it has to offer, and l am not impressed. l think XP is better, there are going to be too many controls to help stop the pirated stuff in Vista, such as not letting me back up the movies l will watch on it. Not that l will do anything illegal w/ it, just that some of us hate discs,l put everything on my hard drive, and my life is made easier. From the looks of it, there will be controls to stop me from saving a copy of a DVD on my hard drive for viewing on the go, and that sort. Possibly even some music controls, and l am not at all looking forward to having to upgrade all my hardware, if that happens, why not just go mac? l just ordered a new notebook, and to think that in a year it will be obsolete, that is kinda sad, but at the same time, its copy of XP will be far superior to any copy of Vista as far as l am concerned. So if you want these "Big Brother" controls, then go for Vista, but l will probably shun it unless these controlls l've heard so many rumors of are suddenly proved wrong.
progman89
You know, after looking at what Vista has to offer I'm suddenly thinking I may want to go with Linux in the long run after all. Vista looks like nothing more to me than a hugely privacy-intrusive system with even more room for problems than XP. The reason that Windows has so many problems is not that Microsoft can't make an operating system - it's that Microsoft is trying to do too much. Microsoft does not need to be doing things like building parental controls into the OS, building antispyware into the OS, and building more than the bare minimum of document integration into the OS when we have seen so often and so clearly in the past that, compared to organizations that focus specifically on these things, Microsoft does a terrible job with them. The whole thing with biometrics authentification and anti-piracy features looks to me especially like an enormous can of worms with no end of intruding on people's privacy in sight. I'm sorry if I sound fatalistic, but I have not been impressed with Microsoft's great ideas for extras in the past, and I do not think I will be in the future. Microsoft does a good job of making an OS, but when it does more than that, the only thing we have gotten for over a decade now is problems. Let other corporations manage digital rights and parental controls - all Microsoft needs to give us is a platform.
Eyre
i'm poor, and seriously considering about switching to Linux. So no, i'm not going to get Vista, until Microsoft pays me to use it Laughing
Ping
Yes,
I prob would- You know the old story, as soon as a New OS comes out the prvious one gets outdated and no longer gets software made for it.
But i wouldnt get it in its cvurrent form LOL!
KHO
progman89 wrote:
The reason that Windows has so many problems is not that Microsoft can't make an operating system - it's that Microsoft is trying to do too much.

l agree with this quite a bit, its nice when they work, because they can often save you hundreds of dollars, but once they started making more than, lets say 10 free apps for their os, they all started to turn to crap.
progman89 wrote:
Microsoft does not need to be doing things like building parental controls into the OS, building antispyware into the OS, and building more than the bare minimum of document integration into the OS when we have seen so often and so clearly in the past that, compared to organizations that focus specifically on these things, Microsoft does a terrible job with them.

And you would think MS would get the hint, but clearly they don't. All of their apps suck hard, and are getting worse because they are getting more and more of them.
n0obie4life
Let's see, my WINdows ME is 5 years old. It's still running and refusing to crash/stopworking so I can buy a new PC.

If my windows ME crashes, I'll be using vista (as I'll have a new pc). Otherwise, it's stuck with me until it does.
gingermagician
Microsoft don't make good enough software for me to give them my money, I don't want to be paying to allow hackers extra webspace i.e. my hard drive...

Ginger Magician.
crimsonessence
it should be interisting to see how terrible it is.... ide like to play with it, surely i wont trust it... nor waste the money.
lockwolf
Let me think, newer code will be compiled for Vista so I may have some software compatability issues if I dont get it so I probably will get it.
n0obie4life
lockwolf wrote:
Let me think, newer code will be compiled for Vista so I may have some software compatability issues if I dont get it so I probably will get it.

Backward-compatibilty like in WINXP would be there. I'm sure.
Raijenki
Another Option: Downloading by BitTorrent ~~
I've made it lol, and i have the "LongHorn" in my PC ^^
moncader
I'm not getting it, too much, microsoft has had control of this stuff for long enough, I use linux. And linux is the way to go. Period.
toughtrio
I have tested Longhorn and it works superb. The best thing I like is its installation ease. Its like installing an unattended installation. Just input all the data in the first step and then close your monitor and relax. It does everything so fine. But the version I used was a little buggy and slow. Its clock is amazing and the black theme is superb. I would really look forward for it in 06, but ocourse I wont buy it, TORRENT IS THE BEST!!!
Donutey
I think there's going to be some "i have to get this now" syndrome with vista because it looks so advanced... i remember this happened with xp when it first came out, and i remember being disappointed that my webcam, and several older programs didn't (and still don't) work with XP. However, XP is a pretty decent OS, when it came out, but unlike say the constantly evolving linux, youre pretty much stuck with 2001 technology...
lineagetoday
Quote:
Microsoft does not need to be doing things like building parental controls into the OS, building antispyware into the OS, and building more than the bare minimum of document integration into the OS when we have seen so often and so clearly in the past that, compared to organizations that focus specifically on these things, Microsoft does a terrible job with them.

I thought microsoft just buys smaller companies software that actually focus on those specific areas!! Like the antispyware microsoft has. it is acutally made by another company that is just rebranded!!

Quote:
y webcam, and several older programs didn't (and still don't) work with XP.

ahh all my webcams work fine with XP plug and play! lol.. maybe ur missing drivers??? never heard of people having problems with XP and webcam... which cam are you using? maybe someone here can help you out!
djclue917
Donutey wrote:
I think there's going to be some "i have to get this now" syndrome with vista because it looks so advanced... i remember this happened with xp when it first came out, and i remember being disappointed that my webcam, and several older programs didn't (and still don't) work with XP. However, XP is a pretty decent OS, when it came out, but unlike say the constantly evolving linux, youre pretty much stuck with 2001 technology...

I have to agree with you. Windows is really lagging behind. The fast-paced kind of software development in the FOSS world is really astonishing. One very good example is KDE. It started in 1996 but look at it now. I'm looking forward to KDE4!

I'm also very excited to see the final release K/Ubuntu 6.04 (Dapper Drake). Mark Shuttleworth said that this release would be a special one because it would be supported 3 years on the desktop and 5 years on the server. I am really loving K/Ubuntu now. Also, KDE 3.5 is much faster than the previous KDE releases.
prongs_386
vista is much up on xp, obiously once its released fully it will be worth getting, but all the beta releases arent worth bothering with.