FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless router

Garg
Hi !

I've just moved to my new appartment, and it seems that i could share an internet connection with the book store at the street level. I've been looking at different wireless routers and i could find one for about 80 with a 2dBi antenna.

I was wondering if i could have a decent signal if the router is at street level and my appartment is at the 2nd story ? I could place the router just under the staircase and it should only cross one wall / door.

Does anyone know whether it will work effectively ?

Thanks...
modak
Garg wrote:
Hi !

I've just moved to my new appartment, and it seems that i could share an internet connection with the book store at the street level. I've been looking at different wireless routers and i could find one for about 80 with a 2dBi antenna.

I was wondering if i could have a decent signal if the router is at street level and my appartment is at the 2nd story ? I could place the router just under the staircase and it should only cross one wall / door.

Does anyone know whether it will work effectively ?

Thanks...

Look for APs with directional antennas
Maybe this will help :
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/wireless/420_series/accessories.htm
progman89
In short, it should work fine Very Happy I have a relatively cheap wireless router and I get a good signal from 2 floors up and completely the other side of my well-sized house. With a directional antenna it should work absolutely fine with no complaints. I recommend getting a Linksys router for quality.
gameking
progman89 wrote:
I recommend getting a Linksys router for quality.

Linksys isn't very safe, it is the most used router on the planet so many hackers are trying to hack it!! I think D-Link is the best Wink because it is not used very much by many people. Build in Firewall. and more things like
service = 100% uptime = 100%. If u are a gamer it reduce your ping so i suggest D-Link

--------
Sorry 4 bad English
modak
gameking wrote:
progman89 wrote:

Linksys isn't very safe, it is the most used router on the planet so many hackers are trying to hack it!! I think D-Link is the best Wink because it is not used very much by many people. Build in Firewall. and more things like
service = 100% uptime = 100%. If u are a gamer it reduce your ping so i suggest D-Link

Well, the more it is hacked, the more is it likely to have major security violations reported asap, and proper patches applied. Security through obscurity is bad, as all cryptography experts will tell you
gh0stface
gameking wrote:
progman89 wrote:

--------
Sorry 4 bad English

I have a linksys wrt54g or whatever model number it is version 4. It is one of the best wireless routers out there because the firmware is open source. Which means different programers are able to add or improve on it.

www.linksysinfo.org is a comprehensive linksys wireless router site. Very good and informative. It's what made me decided to get the wrt54g.
lockwolf
A wireless connection is the most unsecure connection of all of them all. I wouldnt recommend one if you can avoid it.

(Woot! post 500! XD)
kam311
From my personal experience, if it's not directional, mount it higher. Seems to broadcast a little better, but if it works where you originally planned to put it, go for it. Don't forget to encrypt the signal.
netjunk
I would highly recomend belkin as they have a life time guarantee 24 hour free support and are high quality products. If you are on a budget Netgear also make very good products but the belkin routers are the best.