FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP and HTML????

GDG
Hi guys, i sort of know what these 2 different codes are but could someone please tell me in a bit more detail what each is for? And if its not too much to ask for, is there any really good websites that i can learn both of them from, thank you so much!!!
Marston
HTML is mostly for displaying information, and creating designs, whereas PHP can serve up dynamic content, and handle user input. PHP is usually used in forums - it is usually coupeled with a MySql database to store post and user information, but can it can also store this information in flatfiles.

Hope this helps Wink.

EDIT: I just read your post in the Free Hosting Support section - you can make text with HTML, of course. The design would also be done in CSS/HTML.
GDG
oh so you're saying its possible to make a theme using HTML coding. Such as bubble effects, or tables(like columns and number of user, the regular stuff) Like the front page of frihost.com.

But where can i learn this, is there any good site to learn from. I have searched google found some, but i was wondering if there is any other ones that are popular with you people?
Marston
Bubble effects is probably more like Javascript, I think... Or images, I don't really understand what you're trying to get at there. But yeah, HTML and CSS were probably used to make the frihost front page.

A few sites I'd reccomend are:

HTML/CSS: www.w3schools.com
Javascript: www.javascriptkit.com
PHP: www.php.net OR http://www.spoono.com/php/tutorials/

Again, hope this helps.
GDG
Thanks for the sites man, but my question about teh bubble thing is which coding coudl do something like this:

www.lineage2.com

How could i make those tabs that sort of pop out or something similar ot it???
Marston
That, my good sir would be Flash. I don't know a whole lot about flash, but I do know you can find out more about it at www.macromedia.com.

By the way, Macromedia Flash is approx. $699.00 USD. Sad There are cheaper alternatives that create Flash files, but in my experience, none of them are up to par with Macromedia Flash.

You could probably loosely replicate it with Javascript, if you tried really hard.
GDG
Um so im sure you've seen the site by now. But they made it like that using flash, not purely HTML or did they just use flash for the middle one????

Sorry for the many questions LOL!!!
BlackSkad
If you're talking about the menu on the left, you can use JavaScript. If you're talking about the tabs with "New II Lineage II", they're made in Flash.
However, I recommend you to learn (X)HTML properly first. It's the base for EVERY website, even those with flash. If you're confident enough with XHTML, you can start learning another language, like JavaScript or PHP. I think, if I understood you correct, that you are likely most interested in JavaScript. For info, a little bit of googling.
But as I said, XHTML is THE way to start Smile

Greatz,
BlackSkad
Simulator
PHP makes HTML more dynamic, it lets the user to interact with the site, take this forum, there is no way to build this out of just HTML, it takes PHP, to POST the posts to a database and then show them... Without PHP, HTML will do nothing for a user
Marston
Simulator wrote:
PHP makes HTML more dynamic, it lets the user to interact with the site, take this forum, there is no way to build this out of just HTML, it takes PHP, to POST the posts to a database and then show them... Without PHP, HTML will do nothing for a user
.. Please, read the whole thread before posting a reply.
GDG
um blackskad, you're saying i should learn 'XHTML' before 'HTML' or first 'HTML' and then 'XHTML'. I already know a bit of HTML, not a lot though!!!
Marston
I believe that XHTML is the same as HTML, but HTML is called XHTML when it's coupeled with PHP or any other Server Side Scripting Language...
GDG
Oh i see, thanks a lot you guys really helped me out quite a bit. Hope to get my site up and runnning much better. Oh by the way do you guys know what type of forum we're allowed here in frihost??? And why can we only use this one???
Marston
Any free legal forum software.
GDG
I see, well then thanks you guys i have to go somewhere. Later!!!
Marston
All in a days work. Cool
shabda
Quote:
I believe that XHTML is the same as HTML, but HTML is called XHTML when it's coupeled with PHP or any other Server Side Scripting Language...

Actually HTML becomes xHtml when folows the rules of xml, like all tags must be closed and in correct order and some other rules. All tags must be in lowercase, attributes must have value.
xHtml is not any tougher to learn than html, but it helps you from picking up some bad habits of html.
Quote:
Any free legal forum software.

Try phpBB or SMF both ver good.
yjwong
HTML: For creating web pages.
PHP itself: Useless.
PHP+HTML: For creating powerful, dynamic web page.