FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows or Linux

avk
Which one is Better
Windows or Linux
I use Windows XP and am OK with it
But some of my frens use Linux and say it's too good
Which ones good
Windows or Linux?????????????????????????????????/
Naif
The answer to that question really depends on what you use your computer for. As compared to Linux, Windows is much easier to use. Where as by using Linux, you can learn many things which you most probably wouldnt from a Windows box. You as a user can be the best judge of which OS is better. If you are willing to cope up with the hassle of learning a complex OS and you feel you'll enjoy the experience, then Linux is for you. Linux tries to make its users independent where as Windows tries to keep its users depend on the GUIs it provides and all.

Mind you, my statement is not flawless. Its not completely true. Linux is trying to make its usage easy for beginners easy too and it has succeeded to an extent.

It wont hurt you to give Linux a try. And like you have stated, you have some friends who use Linux. So if you ever get stuck somewhere or face a problem, you can turn towards them for help or guidance. And you can have both Windows and Linux running simultaneously on the same computer.
garvalf4
I advise you to give knoppix a try :

http://www.knoppix.org/

it's what I began with
desertwind
This is much a personal choice. For me gnu/linux is the only OS which satisfies me, and i'm using only gnu/linux for past 7 years. But this won't be the case of many.

I suggest you to try one or two distros, and then decide.

Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com), or knoppix (www.knoppix.org) will be a good start, as both have live cds, you wont need any installation at all. You can get ubuntu free of cost from shipit.ubuntulinux.org
steveadams617
Advantages of windows:

1) more people to help you/teach you
2) more applicable job skill

Advantages of linux:
1) much less adware/spyware/viruses. You aren't going to spend as much time keeping your system going. Once you get a virus on your system that you can't get rid of, you will be tempted to throw the machine away. Smile

(Yes, I'm tired of windows viruses...)
Raijenki
Naif wrote:
The answer to that question really depends on what you use your computer for. As compared to Linux, Windows is much easier to use. Where as by using Linux, you can learn many things which you most probably wouldnt from a Windows box. You as a user can be the best judge of which OS is better. If you are willing to cope up with the hassle of learning a complex OS and you feel you'll enjoy the experience, then Linux is for you. Linux tries to make its users independent where as Windows tries to keep its users depend on the GUIs it provides and all.

Mind you, my statement is not flawless. Its not completely true. Linux is trying to make its usage easy for beginners easy too and it has succeeded to an extent.

It wont hurt you to give Linux a try. And like you have stated, you have some friends who use Linux. So if you ever get stuck somewhere or face a problem, you can turn towards them for help or guidance. And you can have both Windows and Linux running simultaneously on the same computer.

I agree with you

If you don't want try a linux, you can try a OS Emulator, like Bochs (http://bochs.sourceforge.net), you can run another OS in the Windows without problem, then you can have the 2 OS.

For Novice Users, Windows is the best, but Unix Platforms is more secure and more professional (It's like Windows NT) =P
gingermagician
Quote:
The report, set to be released on Tuesday, states that the 2.6 Linux production kernel, shipped with software from Red Hat, Novell and other major Linux software vendors, contains 985 bugs in 5.7 million lines of code, well below the industry average for commercial enterprise software. Windows XP, by comparison, contains about 40 million lines of code, with new bugs found on a frequent basis.

Quote published about a year ago...
http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,66022,00.html

Only linux has been updated frequently, windows hasn't had a full update since SP2 (that was all a joke too). Which system is gonna be more reliable? Windows is NOT an option in this choice.

Ginger Magician.
amrlafi
try solaris 10 ,unix-based OS . free ,reliable and secure
djclue917
Naif wrote:

I partially agree. The question on which OS to use is really dependent on the user. One more thing, Linux is not hard to use. In fact, for me, it is easier to use. One good situation to compare Linux and Windows is in troubleshooting. Windows is not as transparent as Linux is and I think that Windows is not a transparent system at all. Just try to troubleshoot blindly in Windows. In Linux, you get all the things that you need and you could get some more FOSS tools from the net if you are not satisfied. That is how powerful FOSS is.

Linux is not complex at all. A user may be overwhelmed by the scrolling text that he/she sees every bootup but it doesn't mean that he/she should understand those things. It's just a way of Linux to make sure the user sees what is really happening.

FOSS development so fast that it eclipses Windows. There are many GUI tools available out there. But sometimes, using a program without any GUI is better. It is just up to the user... Anyways, there are plenty of good documentations included in almost every Linux distro. I bet Windows does not offer that.
djclue917
You could also try K/Ubuntu. There are 3 Desktop environments which are currently supported: GNOME (Ubuntu), KDE (Kubuntu), Xfce (Xubuntu)

I really love the fact that Ubuntu releases every 6 months and supports every release for at least 18 months. Another good thing about Ubuntu is that it is supported commercially (by Canonical) and by the Ubuntu community. It is the first Linux distribution that I have used and is still using. I first installed Kubuntu 5.04 and then I upgraded to Ubuntu 5.10 (GNOME). I changed my default desktop to KDE since the KDE 3.5 release and I have been using KDE 3.5 since then. The thing I love with KDE and with any other KDE distro is the integration of the individual programs. I also love the power of Konqueror! Nautilus is just too plain simple. I also noticed that the Kubuntu team is more active at updating KDE and making the latest KDE packages available.

I just love my Kubuntu 5.10 now. However, I will still have my eyes on GNOME 2.14 and KDE4. But I think I'll stick with KDE from now on. Besides, its the first Desktop Environment that I have used.
otiscom
Linux is good, but..............

Windows is used by a huge % of users all over the world, most software in made for it.

So to be compatible with, and understood by, the vast majority of the World we are stuck with Windows!

Nyizsa
I think that after years of rivalization the world is going towards universal compatibility. Yes, if you are a gamer, you need Windows. But for EVERYBODY else, Linux, or preferably Solaris will do the job as well. For example:
- There is Office for both platforms, for businesses,
- HTML (and PHP) was always platform-independent, for webdesigners,
- Same with Java, for developers,
...and so on.
Conclusion: if you want a reliable OS (for FREE!!!), and you're not addicted to games, you want Linux or Solaris. Period.
tfarrell67
Linux Vs. Windows...

I personally multiboot between Windows XP, Fedora Core 3, & Auditor. Not to mention frequently I use live distros: Knoppix, Snappix, Slax, Beatrix, and DSL.

For a live distro Knoppix & Snappix are cool. I've run Linspire Live but because I have an older laptop my machine couldn't handle it very well.

If you're new to Linux and enjoy the ease of use you get with Windows check out Linspire.

http://www.linspire.com/

Debian based Linux are also fairly easy to use once you've got it up and running. The apt-get feature is nice, especially when using the GUI Synaptic Package Manager. Much easier than RedHats RPM's.

Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) also boasts ease of use.

The most difficult thing with Linux is aquiring drivers for hardware. With very few venders offering out of the box support. And not all hardware is readily compliant with Linux getting/installing the drivers can be a pain.
However, that said, the Linux community will bend over backwards to help new users learn this OS.

If you are serious about technology you need a familiarity with some flavor of *NIX. Also keep in mind there are more choices than just Linux. Check out BSD and many others.

The thing about Linux, Open Source, GNU, & GPL is it is all about choices...not something you hear a lot about from the boys in Redmond (Microsoft).

When considering Windows Vs. Linux ask yourself this do you want the Red Pill (Linux) or the Blue Pill (Windows).

"Remember, all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more."

T. Farrell