FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Deja vu?

SunburnedCactus
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4492190.stm

Quote:

US Vietnam intelligence 'flawed'

The documents cast doubt on the existence of an attack on a US warship by the North Vietnamese in the Gulf of Tonkin on 4 August 1964.

The incident prompted President Lyndon Johnson to ask Congress, in effect, to declare war on Vietnam.

The revelations, released by the National Security Agency, were written by its own historian in 2001.

Robert Hanyok declares his review of all the intelligence shows beyond doubt that "no attack happened that night". The USS Maddox had been attacked two days earlier.

He claims errors were made in the translation of the intercepted signals from the North Vietnamese, and officials gave too much weight to flimsy evidence.

But he clears President Johnson and his ministers of any blame. They were only shown intelligence supporting the claim of an attack, not a wealth of contradictory material, he says.

Instead, he blames the intelligence-gathers. "They walked alone in their counsels," he wrote.

A possible vindication of Bush in the current fiasco? What do you reckon?
somnific
seems to me they fit the intelligence to their needs. when confronted they just effectively say 'whoops' we misunderstood our own reports

who in their right mind sends 20,000 to die in a quagmire based on the reporting of an attack that didnt happen? mixed signals my ass....the ship was either attacked or it wasnt , its not that hard to double check....

l
ocalhoun
The ship was either attacked or it wasn't?
How about the war with Cuba?
That was started by the sinking of a US warship, but we still aren't sure to this day if it was attacked or just had a boiler explosion.
Aiz
Indeed, the government is just trying to push off the blames by saying "Oh it's not us, it's our sources, it's their fault we didn't make things up! No really, we didn't!" >.>

I remember reading somewhere a while ago that Bush said he was "told by god" to go and fight in Iraq <.< Er, I thought it was because of Sadam >.>....why does god always become an excuse for people to kill each other? >.>

But yeah, they say they have all that information that something's in some country for real, and they won't show it to the public. Fine, ok. But after all that fighting and searching, did they come up with anything? Zilch. <.< And yet Bush is still not pulling out of Iraq after so many Americans died for, what was it a war on terrorism? And now it turns into a war to free Iraq? what's next, war on alien invasion?
leonk
idont believe in deja vu
myrevolt
its not deja vu. its just people making the same stupid mistakes...over and over again. i think it might be do to these politicians not studying their history Confused and the religion thing; well: religion=source of all evil. yup.
WoolmerHill
The deja vu is always the same - the justification of US imperialism in terms of a moral imperative. The so-called saving of Vietnam from communism, as ridding Iraq of Sadam.

The corporations gain the contracts; the Vietnamese, Iraqis and US forces pay in blood.
Garg
leonk wrote:
idont believe in deja vu

How about ; History keeps on repeating itself ?
_bloodstain
Ugh, I'm not sure what to believe. My dad was one of those 'goverment' people back in his days, and he dosen't say a lot about it. I remember bringing this up to him and him mentioned his softball coach was the commander of the ship that was attacked, or someone who knew him. Something with softball - but still if one person was there to see it happen, there must have been others.

Besides the documents most likely cast little doubt which really dosent prove this to be De ja Vu or History repeating itself.