FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which linux is the best for a new user?

dcshoes23
I wanted to start using linux and was just wondering which one would be the best for someone whos been using windows all their life and wants to start using linux?

Thanks
elekis
hi,
I thinks it's ubuntu or mandrake .(personaly I m under ubuntu)
begin by live cd, it's better.

a++
.::idealist::.
Hi,

Ubuntu is almost excellent for beginners. Installion is just a few "enter". And easy to use...

Also you can download and install packages that you want with just one click.

Wink

seanooi
I haven't really tried ubuntu before, but fedora core 4 is kind of easy to use too. I started linux by using that and am still using it. Laughing
jovemac
Hi!

Nice to hear that you are intrested in switching to linux. My suggestion is knoppix. You can just use a CD and fiddle around till you are comfortable. It requires no installation. Just boot with a knoppix CD.
Naif
I cast my votes in favour of SuSe, Mandrake, Fedora and/or Ubuntu. All four distros are well suited for a beginner.
kevin
I started off with Suse. The installation is 'noob-proof' and it installs the things you need pretty much automaticly. For school however, i need to use Fedora Core 4, wich is a little bit harder to install, but basicly the same.

I'd go for Fedora. Be sure that you read alot about linux before starting, on other forums i visit regulary you get topics like 'how do i install things in linux' or 'where can i see how much HD space i have left' and 'how do i get my windows stuff to work on linux'
Pirazine
Well, i read all your post in this topic, thanx a lot, but i still don't know wich Linux is the better one for an old Micro$oft guy like me.... I think i'm gonna try with Mandryka to start...
If you have other answer for me, plz tell me at explode56@hotmail.com!
LINUX POWER!

Exclamation bad microsoft Twisted Evil
Naif
Pirazine wrote:
Well, i read all your post in this topic, thanx a lot, but i still don't know wich Linux is the better one for an old Micro$oft guy like me.... I think i'm gonna try with Mandryka to start...
If you have other answer for me, plz tell me at explode56@hotmail.com!
LINUX POWER!

Exclamation bad microsoft Twisted Evil

Mandrake is a good choice! The first distro I used was Mandrake.
garvalf4
knoppix is a good start : http://www.knoppix.org/

Debian is the next step.

Otherwise Mandriva, Suse, Fedora Core are claimed to be good too.
Just try which one is the most suitable for you
OnlyOneLife
When I first started out, I used Mandrake Linux.
desertwind
If you wanna just try gnu/linux without installing, try ubuntu or knoppix live CD. If you're gonna install, I suggest SuSE, Ubuntu and Fedora for newbies.
Revvion
I started out with debian but its a bit difficult if you dont know what to do (unless you have a book of 50 pages on how to instal a good base system lying next to you)
the easiest i think are Ubuntu and Knoppix, but if you want distro's that are more like the ones they sell get Fedora (based on redhat) or Opensuse (based on suse)

if you run in to any problems you can ask you friends but also find a lot of help here:
http://distrowatch.com/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
gyaneshwar
Which distro to use is quite a difficult question, I would suggest you to try any of above linuxes until you find the one which you like the most.

Debian is definetely the most difficult to install.

There is one general problem with linux, hardware is not supported quickly. Somebody has to write a device driver before you can use it in linux, like some new fancy sound card...

So just install any of linuxes, use dual boot system (as probably your hard drive is big enough). I managed to use WinXP dual boot with Mandrake and Fedora, only debian made it little bit difficult to fit in. But only windows and only 1 linux was never a problem.

Good luck
Garg
I heard Gentoo was the best !!! But that's because it takes days of emerging and compilation of the OS... and you have to enter the commands manually using a command shell !! (I had a friend who installed it in front of me... and i didn"t get a thing !!!)

Only install Gentoo if you are REALLY famliliar with linux commands and architecture.
GDG
Well it seems i would like to start using Linux too, but i have a partitioned hard drive would it still be possible to do so???- that is on one partition???
Anotehr thing that bugs me is it possible to play games on it, like i like this MMORPG game called Lineage II heres the site:

www.lineage2.com

So my question is can i install it and play the game or its not possible- (thats why i want to keep Windows if i can't Very Happy !!! um also where can i learn a lot about it, like is it compatable with the new SONY PSP:

PlayStation Portable

Those are like my two main concerns, but if i do choose to go with Linux ill probably go with that UBUNTU that everyoen is suggesting. Also Can someone give me link as to where i can download it, thank you.

-~-GDG-~-
Naif
GDG wrote:
Well it seems i would like to start using Linux too, but i have a partitioned hard drive would it still be possible to do so???- that is on one partition???

It doesnt matter. You can use a software like Partition Magic to free up some space for Linux.
Revvion
It is possible to play windows games on linux but not always with 100% compability. you can use wine a free tool that simulates windows main files like registery and ddl's or if you use debian or a debian based distro you can try qemu (don't know if it works on other distro's) a program that allows you to make a virtual harddrive in linux to install windows on. for more info just google it.
longjack
dcshoes23 wrote:
I wanted to start using linux and was just wondering which one would be the best for someone whos been using windows all their life and wants to start using linux?

Thanks

Mepis http://www.mepis.org is a distro based on Debian that has a couple of different install CD's.

Simply Mepis builds a Gnome desktop in 20 minutes or so.

There is also a SOHO server CD if you wanted to play around with a file server, webserver, FTP server, etc.

Simply Mepis was the friendliest install for me and built a very pleasing and usuable desktop. I liked it better than the others, but that's just my personal opinion.

longjack
crimsonessence
Revvion wrote:
... qemu (don't know if it works on other distro's) a program that allows you to make a virtual harddrive in linux to install windows on. for more info just google it.

ive never heard of qemo before.. it looks pretty interesting.. specifically the 'user mode emulation"
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/about.html
gingermagician
Although French, I've always thought that Mandrake (Now Mandriva) was the best distro for a Windows convert. The reason being is the ease of the install process. The best feature of the installer is the partition process (possibly the trickiest and most dangerous section of the install). Mandriva handles it all for you, taking free space from the windows drives without any data loss. Though, once you get used to using it when it is installed, it is not the distribution to stick with... Im currently running SuSE 10.0 OSS and receiving constant updates from the servers to download at the click of a button...

I have settled down with SuSE, other people would say different, it all comes down to peronal preference. I say look around until you find the distro that you like the best.

GingerMagicain.
windval
i think mandrake is the best linux for u
dcshoes23
Thanks everyone for the replies, I know have a good size list of distros to try, there are just so many and you guys helped shorten the list. Once again thanks.

Thanks
quartz
For QEMU link thanks too Smile
supersonic
I think that fedora core 4 is probably the best one. You can download it from www.redhat.com/fedora
djclue917
dcshoes23 wrote:

Thanks

I would recommend K/Ubuntu. I really love the fact that Ubuntu releases every 6 months and supports every release for at least 18 months. Another good thing about Ubuntu is that it is supported commercially (by Canonical) and the by the Ubuntu community. It is the first Linux distribution that I have used and is still using. I first installed Kubuntu 5.04 and then I upgraded to Ubuntu 5.10 (GNOME).

I changed my default desktop to KDE since the KDE 3.5 release and I have been using KDE 3.5 since then. The thing I love with KDE and with any other KDE distro is the integration of the individual programs. I also love the power of Konqueror! Nautilus is just too plain simple. I also noticed that the Kubuntu team is more active at updating KDE and making the latest KDE packages available.

You could view screenshots from http://shots.osdir.com/
moncader
I like SuSe 10.0 (Of course, mine isn't exactly 10.0 anymore as I am on BLEEDING edge Very Happy) but its the simplest of them all, few clicks install, configuration can't be simpler at any time. Things just work, and if you want, EVERYTHING comes on the CD, unlike Ubuntu (which is great) where you have to download everything. Updates are simple with Yast2, and installation of new software with RPM's are simple too.

I love it, get it .Very Happy
Dino
I suggest Mandriva
.::idealist::.
djclue917 wrote:
I would recommend K/Ubuntu. I really love the fact that Ubuntu releases every 6 months and supports every release for at least 18 months. Another good thing about Ubuntu is that it is supported commercially (by Canonical) and the by the Ubuntu community.

Yes, I agree with you.

Ubuntu has a great sponsor and great communities, they're not only for experts !

Ubuntu will become great features with next version. (6.04 Dapper Drake)

For just one example, users will can upgrade to the future version of Ubuntu without formatting.
lockwolf
I recommend Suse, I had it for a while and probably was the easiest install of a linux distro I have ever installed.
tiancongxin
For bagainner ,i think the vendor provides sufficient documents and help is very important. gentoo is a distribution of that. It's official site has so much docs that can guide you from building your system to configure every application. Most important ,once you get familiar with Gentoo,other distri will seems so simple to use.

www.gentoo.org
srijit
gentoo for a beginner is too harsh. although you do learn more from one attempt at gentoo than with other linux distros, it is not for an absolute noob. Go with k/ubuntu or knoppix. try the live cd's first and if all hardware works as expected the install onto disk. remember to backup all important data out of your system onto a CD or DVD. it better to be safe rather than sorry, so install linux and say goodbye to windows Twisted Evil
argha
fedora core is easy and good try your hands on it..
silliman
How’z it Linux Users,

I am thinking about installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.4, but I really don’t want to hose my new Windows XP workstation to accommodate it.

How much humbug is it to set up WinXP dual boot and will WinXP dual boot cause my new workstation to become “buggy” or “glitchy?”

If I install Linux will it require knowledge of Linux commands and architecture?

All-in-all, for those who have played with Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.4, how do you like it.

Thank for your advice,

Mark
Xcelerate
I think Ubuntu is the best for beginners:

It's free
    It's easy to install with the CDs
    There is a tryout first, so you don't have to format your computer
jovemac
Hey.. I came across a new UBUNTU LIVE CD.. which is similar to Knoppix. Its sooo excellent... and more easier than knoppix. I guess its can be highly recomended for a learner. It autoconfigures networks too.
desertwind
Yes, i prefer Ubuntu over Knoppix for a Live CD, as Ubuntu uses GNOME, while knoppix uses KDE.
JayBee
I install Fedora many times, it's so easy, but when you want to save some disk space, it si not good reason, because, you must install almoust all packages you will never use. Usable instalation is about 2GB and it is so much for me.

Wen I saw Gentoo on friends Computer, i thing: with compilling of linux, you will learn many things. But you will spen lot of time with it. But the same functionality was with 650MB including openoffice.

liveCD is good, QEMU or vmware is also good, but the best is only linux computer Smile)
sparty
Best is one that you can find it useful. But if you looking for most user-friendly linux edition my suggestion is Mandriva Linux (ex. Mandrake Linux)
Mandriva Linux is the strong graphical Linux Operating System, famous for being easy to install. And you can download free version from internet.
Good luck!!!!!
bogden
given that whatever distro can get itself installed correctly on your system (it has all the needed drivers for your hardware), it is likely more important if you're ready to change from MSOffice to OpenOffice, or ready to change from Outlook to Thunderbird (if you don't use web-based email). Both thunderbird and OpenOffice are available for windows, but not very many people use them I think.
avk
I have started to use Linux since 1/1/06 and Am feeling hard but happy with it..... However Think i will be able to use it nicely

I am Using KUBUNTU.......... It is as UBUNTU

As u wish!!
root
Don't use Ubuntu! I'm on Gentoo atm, and it is definitely the best distro to date, but it is difficult to install, especially if you have never used Linux before. For a complete beginner I reccomend Mandriva or Suse. I haven't used Mandriva (Mandrake) in a long time so I can't comment on it too much. Suse is definitely a good distro to begin with. It comes with Yast to configure your system and it is painless to install.
earth2
I would suggest Ubuntu. They'll send you free CD's of their OS for free. I am also new to Linux, so I would suggest something like Ubuntu. It's very easy to install. The only problem I had was that I had a Winmodem, so make sure you get a "real" modem before you make the switch. But like everyone else has said, use the Live CD to get use to it and see what you need before you make the switch. Personally, I am glad I decided to send off for those Linux CD's. It makes Windows seem a little boring. Smile
silliman
jovemac wrote:
Hey.. I came across a new UBUNTU LIVE CD.. which is similar to Knoppix. Its sooo excellent... and more easier than knoppix. I guess its can be highly recomended for a learner. It autoconfigures networks too.

How'z it Linux Fans,

I download Ubuntu Live CD (ISO file) as well as the Knoppix Live CD file, but when I tried to boot from my CD tray, nothing happened -- even when I set the BIOS to boot first from the CD drive. Sad

(I also tried the same procedure on 3 other XP computers with no success.)

Anyone have an idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark
Animal
I've used several versions of Linux so far: Damn Small Linux, Knoppix and Linspire, but the best I've used by a long way is Ubuntu.

I tried it in Live CD format and despite it taking between 5 and 10 mins to load, it was absolutely great. It even had an auto-configure for a wireless network card, allowing me to load up the internet and just use it.

I'll definately be installing the full install version as soon as I've got time to set it up.

For beginners, the best place to start is definately the Live CDs. Try out a few distros, check for any hardware incompatibility etc, and choose your favourite. If you don't like a particular distro, all you've lost is a single CD-R.
justinrs32
Actually, It really depends on what you want. Sure Mandrake, Ubuntu, and Dabian are all different in their own ways, but they are also basically the same. Most of them out there are pretty easy to install. Just pick on, read a little about it, and if it sounds good then go with it! Good luck!

-Justin Smile
d722002
This Kinda depends:
If you just want to experiment a little, try Knoppix. If you are looking into a permanent OS or want to start a server or something, try Fedora Core 4. It is pretty easy to use, and its only major flaw is the lack of support for the mp3.

But, Knoppix is a LiveCD, so if you want to mess around with it, and still keep windows or whatever else you have intact, it is probably the best route to go as far as experimentation.
root
Suse is definitely the best distro to use if you are new to Linux and want something that is user-friendly. Ubuntu is too buggy and full of problems to be used as an OS. Gentoo is the best distro in general, but it is for the more patient or experienced user.
thorn
For VERY beginner SuSE is best choice. At least you can edit all settings thru UI. But people complain SuSE some times slower than other distros.
Most powerful Linux is RedHat cause it contains A LOT of packages - you are free from compilation of ones.
And most wisdom choice :) is Windows. Trust me.
Goatmonkey
Mac OS X is the best Unix based OS for a new user. Period
bboy_nycb
Let's get started with knoppix !
root
The answer to your question: the best distro to use for a beginner is NOT Ubuntu. Regardless of what anyone tells you, use Gentoo, it takes patience to install, yes, but taking the time to install the OS will teach you more about the operating system then any thing else. If you truely want to become experienced with Linux, use Gentoo. If you just need an Unix-based OS quickly, chose a different distro (NOT ubuntu).
Dino
I think that mandriva is the best choice for new users, fedora isn`t bad, ubuntu also, but mandriva or suse are the best
root
A follow-up to my reply: If you don't want to take the time to learn the OS (highly unreccomended) I suggested another distro. SuSe is a good choice as "another" distro, as is Mandriva.

Gentoo > * >>>>>>>>>>>>ubuntu
TheFaction
as far as dual booting goes i know what it means, just my question is how do u actually do it. like choose what os you r gonna use? does it give you the option when you first boot up. or is there some other way you have to do it?
aardvark
If you want something that is easy for a Windows user to get to grips with then Xandros is pretty good. Also worth considering is Linspire. Both have free versions.

The downside of these two is that they are not as up to date as community distros such as Suse.
iodus
Ubuntu or Linuxmint.
andro27
For start work in linux , Ubuntu is best choice.This sistem is near windows but you must understend concept of every linux distro.All the same.Ubuntu is friendly for learn. good luck.
Nikola992
id go with ubuntu, the GUI is rather easy to use, so u wont have a hard time finding ur way around, and everything is more or less logical.

great support base and a great community on the web for any and all of ur needs, and the terminal commands are just a walk in the park when u're installing stuff and adding packages, it looks nice too.

but as ppl have said, try live versions of the OS's and really u have to find out on ur own which one suits u best, no one can do it for u Smile
Gregoric
I was searching for a Linux distribution suitable for me, and asked that question on several forums. In the end it went out that Mint distro is very good one for beginners and those who don't have enough time to customize all the stuff for several days Wink

Unfortunately, my disc was dynamic and there can't be two systems installed unfortunately :/ So here I am with Windows Wink
PwnArt1st
Ubuntu has an amazing community and is designed to be a competitor to the other big OSs, so definitely Ubuntu, although Mint is a good light alternative.
aviaryan
Linux Mint is probably the best distro if you are coming from Windows .
It is beautiful and simple, very comparable to Windows.
loveandormoney
SuSe is easy. But I think
all Linuxe are more easy than using the old win.
loveandormoney
Is install a problem?
We checked more than 30 Live CDs
and install and boot is easy using any Linux.