FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do u think SERVICE PACK 2 is Essential for Windows XP?

k_s_baskar
Do u think SERVICE PACK 2 is Essential for Windows XP? If yes please say why Question
modak
Well, in my case, I wanted support for Indian languages in Windows XP, so SP2 is absolutely necessary for me. Smile
Hikaru7
it is quite useful, as it includes some more important features and security fixes, but i don't have it installed cause it messssed up my computer when i installed it, even after a triple spyware check, virus cheak, and the whole nine yards.
Naif
The SP2 contains many security updates and an Active content blocker for Internet Explorer which is helpful in avoiding security threats. Essential or not I dont know but what I know is that Microsoft recommends installing it. Some users have experienced problems by installing SP2 but I havent. Everytime I reinstall Windows XP, the first thing I do is install SP2(havent created a slipstreamed CD yet). If I dont and I connect to the Internet, within no time the Sasser worm enters my system(from my local area network I assume).
k_s_baskar
Naif wrote:
Some users have experienced problems by installing SP2 but I havent.

Installing SP2 is not a problem for who is using orginal Windows XP. But for pirated copies it is giving lot of problems, Even SP2 makes pirated windows xp to limited trial version!
hooloovoo
Yes Windows Service Pack two is very important, it has a lot of security updats, and w/out it you could potentially run into a lot of problems...I know i did my ISP kicked me out of there program because i was hosting so many worms that got into my computer because i didnt have XP Service Pack 2...
Marston
The only reason I wouldn't install SP2 is because you can't re-install from a SP1 Windows disc anymore. Crying or Very sad
Donutey
yes, for what it was made for... security... and almost all of current security fixes etc. are only for SP2 users. However, I don't use the included firewall... third party for me Rolling Eyes .
bigdan
Of course its essential...it's a M$ operating system! Razz
leodv
SP2's updated patches and new security measures makes it worth installing. Connectivity is also improved especially wireless connections.
whoa
Nothing that spectacular bout it. I only got it because i needed it to install my sound drivers
Rhysige
SP2 as said many tmes above has security fixes... it probably opens up a dozen more but atleast they remain unknown for now Razz
hedwin
SP2 is stupid if the new softwares didn't requared it i will del it on the second. First your machine is geting slower second many of this "Security bla blas" are not working properly many sites using swf stop opening
garionw
I use windows 2000 so I dont really need SP2 Laughing
Greeny
I really don't know if it is, i think its just a waste of space on my hard drive but it has got fix from Service pack 1.

i had kaaza on my desktop and i find that i couldn't ahve 2 firefox windows open at the same time & that it wouldn't go past page 2 when searching google....

so SP2 was having problems with kaaza which i then delete of my system and SP2 worked fine & i could open up more then 1 web broswer and search for things again.
dac_nip
yes, security is very essential for windows. service pack 2 is really required. or if you're tired..switch to linux. Very Happy
Shirish
Well i think SP2 is good in many asspects like security.

But i have come across problems in installing DirectX with SP2 when SP1 was not installed before.

So DirectX 9.0b can't be upgraded to 9.0c

Do u have any solution for that?

I need to unistall the SP2 and then install SP1 and then upgrade it to SP2 to solve the matter.
heady233
k_s_baskar wrote:
Do u think SERVICE PACK 2 is Essential for Windows XP? If yes please say why Question
Yes, It comes with the newest version MSN messenger. And It kept bugging me with it in automatic updates.
Talk2Tom11
Service Package 2 is nice but the Firewall/Antivirus/etc.... stuff that they added is really annoying because sometimes i don't want to have my computer protected they way "they" thing is perfect.
headlong
I think there are a lot of bugs fixed in SP2. So it you don't install it, your computer has more chance to be infected or attacked.
yjwong
Although Windows XP SP2 takes a longer time to startup, it is worth installing because of its security patches.

You can compare the difference by going to the Internet with SP1 without any third party firewall, antivirus, antispyware and going to the Internet with SP2 without any third party security programs. SP1 will get spywares, viruses faster than an unprotected SP2.
selim06
i don't think so...SP2 isn't really essantial because it's really make your PC slow...
ranzon
uhm.. in my case it's very usefull.. my sound drivers need that i have sp2 or older win xp pro..
Scimus
This is the easiest thing ever,.............Microsoft cant lanch an OS withouth a Service Pack. A Service Pack defines Microsoft - Operating Systems. Even after teh new VISTA launches it would be a waste goin for it unless a Service Pack came out.
{name here}
It is essential if you want a more secure system while keeping windows XP. From Wikipedia:
wikipedia wrote:
A study conducted by Kevin Mitnick and marketing communications firm Avantgarde found that an unprotected and unpatched Windows XP system lasted only 4 minutes on the Internet before it was compromised

Referenced from this site: http://www.avantgarde.com/ttln113004.html
AftershockVibe
Marston wrote:
The only reason I wouldn't install SP2 is because you can't re-install from a SP1 Windows disc anymore. Crying or Very sad

Make yourself another using nLite. Brilliant program for customising XP installs!
http://www.nliteos.com/

Quote:
This is the easiest thing ever,.............Microsoft cant lanch an OS withouth a Service Pack. A Service Pack defines Microsoft - Operating Systems. Even after teh new VISTA launches it would be a waste goin for it unless a Service Pack came out.

I think you'll find that all OS's do this. They just don't call it a "service pack". Linux distros change version on average every 6 months. OSX periodically increments its version number.

If anything I think it's good thing that MS bundles all it's updates together. You are right that most of these updates shouldn't need to be fixed in the first place though!!!
lumpic
i also think that it is essential because it closes a lot of secutrity-bug
e.g blaster, sassser,......

so i have installed it and i have no problems with it ...

cu
dips0502
hi, i do feel service pack 2 and any update after that is very important. it fixes a lot of bugs with the operating system. it also has some other stuff like windows security center which i feel are quite useful, although the firewall is quite useless. I always wonder windows xp was released as if its the best windows release. but few years later it released a sp2 cd almost the size of the os itself. this is after people pay significant amount towards purchasing the os. now windows vista is coming, i can already see a service pack coming
neotask
I cant get it. Apparently it isnt compatable with Blueyonder, my ISP. If you are getting it to improve IE security (with no offence to users) WHY?? I know, I used to be an avid 'Whats wrong with IE?' campaigner. Until I got a virus. Well, actually, I lie. I started looking at other browsers when I wanted a system where I could clear my history easier. I started using Netscape, but I found Firefox was a lot better, both in security and privacy. Give it a fair try!
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=52
megamass
k_s_baskar wrote:

i say NO, because it adds firewall and other sutff i don't like. after sp2 i had some problems with my home LAN... if you want to be safe, use zone alarm and nod 32 and microsoft antispyware...
{name here}
...or get a better OS, simple as that.
romaop
SP2 can make your computer to start slower and block a lot of web content. So it can be bad. The good side is the more secure, as they (Microsoft) say. SP3 will be safer. Then SP4. Then SP5....
To avoid so much blocking in Internet Explorer a good thing is to use Firefox instead. So you use SP2 and override some protections with Firefox. Other programs on your computer are overriding protections, anway...
Another thing: I went to a computer selling place some months ago and they didn't install SP2 on the computers because of the blocking bad experience.