FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Using databases

bluedragon
I've looked around the web a bit trying to figure out ways to incorporate a Microsoft Database or something similar so that I can redesign a website, and I'm only knowledged in basic HTML, using Dreamweaver mildly for previewing and uploading.

Does anyone know of any resources for scripting a MDb into websites?
elekis
I don't understand
you have a access data base and you wanna export that on your frih account??? and so, uyou wanna export access to mysql???

is that right??
misterdimiz
I think this topic must be moved in SCRIPTS section
-TomJ-
bluedragon wrote:
I've looked around the web a bit trying to figure out ways to incorporate a Microsoft Database or something similar so that I can redesign a website, and I'm only knowledged in basic HTML, using Dreamweaver mildly for previewing and uploading.

Does anyone know of any resources for scripting a MDb into websites?

You could use the Dreamweaver tutorial to learn more about integrating a database into a website. Using a MS database is possible, but in the web world it is more common to use mySQL together with a scripting language like PHP. Setups for this combination are freely available; I used http://www.apachefriends.org/en/: their setup will completely automatically install an Apache webserver, PHP vs 5 and mySQL onto your local machine. Then you can experiment with the combination of html, php and mySql.
If you're ready to publish, you can do so here on Frihost, provided you have posted well on the forum.
Scaramanga
And I think it might be useful to point out, that if you're trying to use Access or MS SQL Server, you probably should be using ASP and not PHP (err, not that Frihost has ASP, just that's the technology that integrates best with Access/SQL Server.) That being said, why on earth would you want to use Access as your backend database? I second everyone's suggestion that you use PHP and MySQL.
bluedragon
Thanks for all the tips. I might just end up using a PHP/SQL blog as my website base and learn the basics of PHP/SQL and work from there. Starting from scratch sounds like too much work, though I just did install that Apache server on my laptop. It sounds like it could prove useful!

Thanks for all your helps!

EDIT: By the way, about the FriHosting, I'm looking forward to it because my cheesy Comcast webspace doesn't seem to support PHP/SQL. Jerks! Besides, bluedragon.frihost.com sounds better than ableground.home.comcast.net.