FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP server

jarred89
Hello i was wondering how i can make an FTP server where people can download some of my files. Thanks
photon
you need to run a ftp server for that . one of the popular free ftp srvers is filezilla. make sure you get the server and not the client

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

then just follow the documentation. its quite simple
jarred89
is this for so people can download stuff off my computer instead of doing it through msn?
pccustoms
Yes, and you would need to open your ports on your router to forward for FileZilla, which would be running at all times.
jarred89
ok thanks for that
mwm
pccustoms wrote:
Yes, and you would need to open your ports on your router to forward for FileZilla, which would be running at all times.

What makes you think he even has a router? Too many people offering advice that may not be applicable. Ask for more info before offering advice that may just confuse the issue.

If he is asking about his frihost account, then installing fileZilla wont be of much help to him.

-mwm
jarred89
Im talking about one on my own computer, On that program site which ones do i download?
otiscom
Try the Home series product. It's free and simple to set up on your computer.

The do a Web server as well.
sotris99
Bullet proof ftp server
jarred89
sotris99 wrote:
Bullet proof ftp server

Whats That?
dkill001
winxp pro has a built in ftp server that you can enable, this will do the job.
jarred89
how can i do it with win xp?
dkill001
you should have an IIS option in adminstrative tools, you just need to enable the ftp server - i think the default is OFF. here is a site that goes through the steps of installing iis and how to setup the ftp server http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1491&page=2. remember, u need winxp pro, not home edition.
jarred89
Does anyone know of a free ftp server program that allows you to have user accounts and what files they can upload for example i only want them to upload jpg, jpeg and gif. Thanks
kenetix
Maybe some of these ones will help:
Home Ftp Server
Star FTP Server
SlimFTPd
Personally I tried SlimFTPd, it's really nice, very simple and it has it has only 43.5 KB.
alkutob
Thank you all 4 the informations