FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stock Market...HELP!!!

aerialdreams
I know how the stock market work and all, but i have no idea what to do right now. I'm doing a project and I am supposed to invest money in a computer simulation that actually plays in real time (meaning it follows the real stock market and has the same ups and downs.) I really don't know what companies to invest in, and what to look for in the trends, and figure out when to buy or sell stock. Does anyone have any tips and/or suggestions?? It would be greatly appreciated! Very Happy
ocalhoun
Always go for a mutual fund, that way you won't ever loose it all, and some of them have very good rates of increase.
justup2002
I would say invest in google if you look a the long term graph it has a steady increase the only downside is it costs a lost of money like $400 a share about but it changes by at least $5 every day
n0obie4life
Here's a tip :

Don't play with the stock market.
Dragonfly
Stock market games are to be played with high risk. Firstly, if you want to play along, be ready to lose also. Brave and risk takers are winners in life. Very Happy
lockwolf
Starbucks all teh way. Also, does this simulator allow time travel? If it did, I would go back to when K-Mart went Bankrupt and was like 50 or 75 cents a share and dumped a bunch of money in there. Kmarts stock is up to like 125 or 150 now!
Aki
I agree with dragonfly if its a simulation then take risks as you lose nothing and have a chance gain a large amount. You can only win if you gain alot. As for which shares to buy what market are you playing on? ASX, FTSE etc?
narc
Buy penny stocks. They rock. You can buy 10,000 shares for 1 cent each, and when they go up to 2 cents each you have doubled your money.

Lots of people are afraid of penny stocks, but if you watch them long enough, they are very cyclic. I have fun trading them.

BTW, this probably counts as the worst advice I ever gave. Don't do it.
tribe
narc lol thats what I did yesterday and I made 2K off it. I am a broker and I recommend stocks you may have not heard of or in the industries in trouble. jetBLUE and Southwest Airlines are good buys; both are expanding rapidly and are really unstoppable right now.

Boeing and Embraer make jets and they are at good buys right now. The oil and health companies are making money like crazy... Stay away from the auto industry with exception of Dodge/Chrysler.

If you have any questions im me on aim at downtownytown
webmaster3
go a google search and look at the list of top gainers and top losers, the buy the gainers and short the losers (if you can short stocks). that will give you the best chance of making the most money.

if that's what your trying to do.
jon_k
go for gas its about to jump in price bc of the hurricane thats gunna hit the mining places
AftershockVibe
Back in the day when I was at school we did something like this as a kind of competition between schools. One of the teams actually had an (ex)stockbroker giving them a hand - they didn't come last but they didn't do very well!

I agree with the sentiments of a few of the above posters though: since this is fantasy you have nothing to lose so if you want to win, take the high risk investments.
webmaster3
if your just trying to win and make the most money, you also want to buy cheaper stocks.
if google goes up 2 dollars what have you made, less than 1 % on your investment.

but if you can find a stock for $5 and it goes to $10 then you have doubled your money.
standready
Beings it is a simulation > GO for it! You have nothing to lose.
loonix
Considering the way the markets are at the moment I am guessing you have lost a lot of simulated cash irrespective of who you bought shares in.
k_s_baskar
Each share is having its own buy value and sell value If you found more buyers and the script which you can trying to trade is in Support level just buy it or if the you can sell if there is more sellers and the script is near R1.
I am doing Intraday using above formula and it is working too...

Smile
ny51bern
I also have played with simulators like - virtualstockexchange.com and updown.com

My advice is to pick 3 or so stocks - blue chip stocks and go all in on them.

these are companies I have been looking at..

DIA (aka INDU)

GOOG

AAPL

GE

hope it helps..
PatTheGreat42
Bah. Buy gold and MREs and wait out in the hills living as a hermit until they get rid of money and start voyaging through the stars.
sulavaryal
do a lot of research about the company you are about to buy stock of .But if it a simulation then what buy'em all what the hell Very Happy
Liu
Pick up a book and start reading the basics of the stock market before you start investing.

In the mean time put some money each month in automated investing in mutual funds.

After you you pick up that book and get a good idea of how to "play" stocks start putting a few thousand in companies that you trust / like. Although, I must say we're in an extremely volatile market right now so not many things apply.

Just don't trade on emotion.
jenss
Buy Treasury Bills. They are one of the most amazingly safe investments right now.
gh0stface
jenss wrote:
Buy Treasury Bills. They are one of the most amazingly safe investments right now.

Safe yes. Rewards in the long term, not so much.

Right now it is a perfect time to purchase investments. They are at a very low prices. In the short term, the risks are not being rewarded. However in the long term, historically you will be rewarded with an return of an average of 8-10%. At least that is with mutual funds. Not entirely sure with stocks.

No risk, no reward. Investing is for long term.
uday
Try searching for Jim Cramer and listen to what he has to say, and use it to make your own decisions. For real money, stay out of the market for now.
deanhills
aerialdreams wrote:
I know how the stock market work and all, but i have no idea what to do right now. I'm doing a project and I am supposed to invest money in a computer simulation that actually plays in real time (meaning it follows the real stock market and has the same ups and downs.) I really don't know what companies to invest in, and what to look for in the trends, and figure out when to buy or sell stock. Does anyone have any tips and/or suggestions?? It would be greatly appreciated! Very Happy

Study the newspapers business sections. Look at those shares that are actively traded and then check how they have performed over a year. The newspaper usually gives the share price highest and lowest for the year. Then check this against the index for that industry. I.e. if it is banking, look at the bank you are following as well as the index for the banking section.

Another way, while you are learning, is to look at the best performing mutual funds, and to check which stocks they buy for the fund. Perhaps you can copy cat those for your own purposes if you are unsure of what to do. You may find there is always a few blue chips for example that everyone includes in their portfolio. Study the industries that would be good for investing now, and then select the best shares in those industries. Banks of course are a dodo right now. Also good to stay away from real estate, construction and mining.

Important that you do not look at tips, or ask other people for advice. If you feel that you cannot do it on your own, then perhaps you should drop the course. With shares you have to be strong enough to know that you will loose sometimes, in order for you to be strong enough to win. If you feel insecure about this it will probably be better to shop around for a really good investment advisor. Or take shortcuts and invest in stock exchange indices.
dwxco
uday wrote:
Try searching for Jim Cramer and listen to what he has to say, and use it to make your own decisions. For real money, stay out of the market for now.

I would recommend ignoring Jim Cramer, and most other people that talk to the media about investing. If you are trading every day, use technical analysis. If you are investing, use fundamental analysis.

As others have said, you need to come up with a thesis or plan, and bet on it. Trading is the same thing as betting. Expect the same results.