FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ipod video

jozsi1983
Ipod video is a must have. The videos on it look great plus you can put the dvds that you already own on it. If you have pics of your ipod post them in here in action.
ocalhoun
Its hardly the first portable video player available.
What exactly makes it so much better?
asmiller08
I think that IPods in general are overrated. Yeah, they have a nice menu system and interface, but thats about it. If you look, you'll find plenty of other mp3 or video players that have many many more features than an Ipod for the same (or less) price. Downloading TV shows for a price sounds cool, until you realize that others have been recording tv shows directly to their PVP, for free. Ipods battery life definately leaves something to be desired.

Personally, I don't like macs, so my thoughts are obviously going to be biased.
photon
i dont think ipod video is worth its money. it has a really small screen to be in anyway useful for viewing video. and what good is a 60gb disk space, if it can run only for 4-5 hrs??

i had a liking for other ipods, but dont feel the video is a really exciting product
lockwolf
The Video Ipod is worth its money but I am the type that looks for alternatives. I think the one Creative has is better, it has a larger and higher resolution screen and easier to navigate menu.
l4zy
IMO iPod video is a waste!... the battery doesnt lasst long at all ( whilst in video mode )... i rather buy a Nano, sleeek and smart!
dcshoes23
I got an IPOD nano and the thing I hate the most about it is how you can't drag and drop folders onto it like every other mp3 player. It makes me very frustrated because I organize all my music in folders and that's how I burn them for my car. iPods force you to use iTunes which I can't stand, I'm going to try to get used to it and if I can't I guess I'll be returning it. now about the iPod video, I don't really think its worth the $$$ at all, the screen is way to small and it'll be really hard to watch videos and see much detail. I just use my pocket pc for watching videos, it has a much bigger screen and lasts a lot longer, plus i can put a lot of video on my 1gb sd card in divx format.

Thanks
Penna_ha
Hey dcshoes23, what is the differens between drag&drop in itunes and drag&drop in folders?

If you can't get used to iTunes, get Xplay.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/
Marston
photon wrote:
i dont think ipod video is worth its money. it has a really small screen to be in anyway useful for viewing video. and what good is a 60gb disk space, if it can run only for 4-5 hrs??

i had a liking for other ipods, but dont feel the video is a really exciting product
It can only run video for 2 hours on a 30 GB harddrive, and 3 hours on a 60 GB harddrive. There's virtually no point in getting the first generation iPod Video. Might as well wait for a few years until they improve the craptastic battery life for video. I read it plays music for up to 17 hours though - better than my iPod Nano Razz.
gameking
Marston wrote:
photon wrote:

It can only run video for 2 hours on a 30 GB harddrive, and 3 hours on a 60 GB harddrive. There's virtually no point in getting the first generation iPod Video. Might as well wait for a few years until they improve the craptastic battery life for video. I read it plays music for up to 17 hours though - better than my iPod Nano Razz.

I have a Ipdo Movie whit a uptime for 7 HOURS!! By only watchingg 3 movies and not anything else!! The NEW iPod is VERY GREAT!!! (But if u like movies u must buy Ipod Movie.... But Xilisoft has a FREE version to put movies on your iPod)

--------
Sorry 4 bad English
Cridiron
I have a video iPod, and I love it...I am kinda disapointed about the batery life...you can watch about 1 full length video then the battery is dead. You do however get quite a bit of life when listening to music.
Kd527
I know someone with an iPod video and it really is nice. I think it's a good idea. It's not targetted for everyone either so depending on what you do, it may be a good choice. just my opinion. Wink
GrimReaper77
iPod Video is nice, but too restrictive - it's just right for 1st time PMP owners.

For the technically inclined though, I suggest waiting for the Digital Cube i-Station V43 (should be stateside in Jan/Feb). It looks great:

http://www.i4u.com/article4030.html
http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2171
Goatmonkey
iPod is really cool especially with iSquint which can convert DVDs to iPod video format. Really nice quality screen. http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html
Animal
The Video iPd should really be called the "Video Enabled iPod" since video is not it's main feature. If you're after a portable media player, have a look at some of the Archos offerings, or the Creative PMC.

iPod wasn't ever meant to be a device for playing solely video. It's marketed as an excellent music player (which it is) that has the additional functionality of playing videos. To back this up, they've added some really nice touches - for example, if you buy a music video, you are able to playback the music only through the "music" menu so you don't have to buy a video and the track to go with it.

The videos aren't, and don't pretend to be, particularly high quality. If you plug them into a standard TV set you get pretty near broadcast quality, but it's nothing compared to High Def.

If you want a similar size of player and you're mostly interested in the Video playback rather than the music, the Creative Zen Vision:M which has a better screen, can play more video formats, and (crucially) can play videos that are not specifically sized for the player.
Cridiron
I heard about the Zen Vision M, I really didn't like it...It looks big and bulky, unlike the slim design of the video ipod.
a.Bird
iAudio

Follow this link for information on what the iAudio can do compared to what the iPod video can do. It has so many features, much more than the iPod, including the capability of being used as a scratch disk. And for only $189.95 with a healthy 20 gb to boot, I don't see how iPods remain so popular. Oh yeah, probably all those flashy silhouette commercials Rolling Eyes

The iPod has a monopoly of respective iPod accessories that are so expensive it makes my head spin. What's more, it's entirely way too confusing to use the iPod as a simple scratch disk for onthefly transferring if you don't want to use iTunes to simply update your music files. Just read all the crap the iAudio X5 can do, which is basically every single thing the iPod video can do and more, all the while keeping the end user in control of his portable harddrive and music library.
Goatmonkey
yeah it is quite amazing and I really wnat one. I have never wnated one before but the new one has made me really green with envy and I wnat one so bad especially since I can rip my dvds to it.
justinrs32
ocalhoun wrote:

I do agree to this. Video Ipods work great, but they are nothing special. They are over-rated as well as over-priced. There are some other cheaper ones that work just as good. Some of them may not look as good but whats the difference. They still play music and videos. Just google it and you can see what the competition against the Ipod is.

-Justin
Marston
jozsi1983 wrote:
Ipod video is a must have. The videos on it look great plus you can put the dvds that you already own on it. If you have pics of your ipod post them in here in action.
Yeah, only two hours of battery life when playing video, though Rolling Eyes. Pretty much defeats the point of having video at all.
mckenneth
ive had my ipod video for coupld of months now... I was suppose to get it on october for my 16th Bday but we never find a store that has it in stock... so i ended up having it on Xmas... but yheap... I'm happie.. like it a lot... the thing is...it battery can only last 2 hours... i guess (base on my xperience)

I have 30Gigs... and so far I only use about 7gigs... I have lots of mp3... 5+ moviess... and some MTVs and still have 23gigs left.. if i was to ask what are the pros and cons..

PROS
-- cool toy
-- good screen
-- good capacity

CONS
-- no voice recorder
-- you cant delete file directly... you have to plug your iPod to the comp and use iTunes to manage all the files
-- short-life batteries

I think its worth the money (my parents paid for)
mckenneth
justinrs32 wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I do agree to this. Video Ipods work great, but they are nothing special. They are over-rated as well as over-priced. There are some other cheaper ones that work just as good. Some of them may not look as good but whats the difference. They still play music and videos. Just google it and you can see what the competition against the Ipod is.

-Justin

I think its the brand your buying... "iPod"... sure i wuld love to have an iPod than iRiver or ScanDisk or any other alternatives... yet some of them has more features than an iPod