FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need name of War Movies..

Shachar1987
i want War Movies like Troy , King Arthur Or Black hawk down
some1 can tell me about good movie like those ?
Scaramanga
Well it seems like you mean all sorts of war. Here would be some of my picks:

The Longest Day - Bar-none the best WWII movie, ever.
Excalibur - OK, technically not exactly a historical war movie but there are some awesome battle scenes (and the first to use Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.)
Apocalypse Now - Who cares if it's based off the crappy Joseph Conrad novel 'Heart of Darkness' (which really had nothing to do with war.) This is the end-all-be-all of the war is hell type of films.
Run Silent, Run Deep - I don't know if you specifically wanted battle films, but this was always one of my favourite sub movies (Das Boot be damned.)
James Bond-007
Oooo, Bat 21. That has to be one of the best war movies I have ever seen.
stiffler
Band of Brothers. Its a 10 Episode Miniseries. It is freaking awesome. Based on Easy Company from WWII. And its a true story, if you are not moved by this series, you arent human.
rip8fan1
A link for a list of World War II movies:

http://www.airmuseum.ca/w2movies.html

The ones I recommend are:
Bridge on the River Kwai
Dirty Dozen
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Stalag 17
Tora! Tora! Tora!
elektronikevi
you look at www.imdb.com
Natrualkiller
Band of brothers, saving private ryan are both good own em myself
gh0stface
Geez, a lot of you guys missed the classic, Full Metal Jacket.
zebrabongo
I think these movies are dark and troubling, but need to be seen to understand that there is no glory in war, only survival or death.

WWI:
The Lost Battalion

WWII:
Band of Brothers (TV series)
Saving Private Ryan

Vietnam:
Platoon
Casualties of War
Full Metal Jacket

Iraq:
Over There (TV series)
Three Kings

Look them up at www.imdb.com
thelostgallery
TIGERLAND
Joel Schumacher

A group of recruits go through Advanced Infantry Training at Fort Polk, Louisiana's infamous Tigerland. This is the last stop before Vietnam for tens of thousands of young men in 1971. The story focuses on a young recruit seeking to be discharged. To avoid going to Vietnam, he sets out on a campaign to get every other trainee in his company ejected from the Army.

I highly recommend it!
Scaramanga
gh0stface wrote:
Geez, a lot of you guys missed the classic, Full Metal Jacket.

Mainly because I don't consider Full Metal Jacket to be a classic per se. I mean it's under 20 years old. And I like Kubrick, but I never really thought it was his strongest film (and while Vincent D'Onofrio was good I can't stand Matthew Modine for the most part, so that probably turned me off to it as well.)

Now, Apocalypse Now and The Longest Day, THOSE are classics of war cinema. Very Happy

Oh and I'd like to second zebrabongo's recommendation for Three Kings. It was a bit surreal, but a good look at what went on at the end of the first Gulf "war".
hrdfarkr
I'd agree with some of the previous ones...Bridge over the river kwai, longest day, Stalag 17, Tora! Tora! Tora!...

I would immediately skip all of those and get the Great Escape.

Then I'd watch that list, then add the Dambusters and Battleground (1949) to the list.
please.be.quiet
A good vietnam war movie is Hamburger Hill. The events in it really happened too, so it shows you the reality of what was really going on..I'm sure you'll be shocked by what you see in it.
Cejuana
If your looking for a movie with some good content, then you need to see Sniper. That movie has some kick ass plot points. I'm not sure wich war it's based off of, but it's definately a thriller. A classic too.
traxion
Band of brothers is a very good WOII serie/movie

i read u like troy and king arther u must try kingdom of heaven they fight and talk there.

gladiatior is also one of my favorits i love the begin the hard good fighting in the begin of the movie

the last samoria is a good movie

that is it i think and i now out of my head
ainieas
From here to Eternity
Delirium
I agree with band of brothers, it's awesome, but since you like Troy and King Arthur, try:
the 13th warrior
(from the back of dvd) An exiled ambassador far from his homeland, Ahmed, comes across a fierce band of warriors who are attacked by ferocious creatures legendary for devouring all living things. And when an old fortune-teller warns the combattants that they are doomed to failure without a 13th warrior, Ahmed is given no choice but to join their battle and help conquer the mysterious ennemy.

I just love to see medieval battles with people trying to defend their place with what they can.

Also try the Messenger, it's a Joan of Arc story, awesome battles, great drama also, definetly for those who like historical figures but in the brute, violent, bloody action that modern movies bring to war.
Ivory Keys
The Thin Red Line is an awesome and very deep war movie. You should see that one. It's not just about war but has psychological things in it.

Another 'war' movie is War of the Worlds. Since you wanted all sorts of war movies I thought this one might do it too. Great movie by Spielberg with Tom Cruise in it. Check it!
Varun
how can all of you forget about Lord Of The Rings, one of the best ever made war movie...
anthonygerbils
WE WERE SOLDIERS is a brilliant war movie and would be a winning choice with me and if you dont believe me look at it and drool
that and black halk down

drool
drool.......
budazz
you have missed BRAVEHEART, GLADIATOR... Very Happy PATRIOT Smile
KINGDOM OF HEAVEN,STARWARS, LORD OF THE RINGS

i love war movies also specially the old wars...
alkady
There is Jarhead, Its not actually war but it still falls in this category.
anthonygerbils
All Quiet on the Western Front
Apocalypse Now
Bat*21
Blackhawk Down
Braveheart
Full Metal Jacket
Jarhead
Kingdom of Heaven
Longest Day
Memphis Belle
Patton
Pearl Harbor
Platoon
Ran
Saving Private Ryan
Stalag 17
The Last Samurai
The Thin Red Line
Tora Tora Tora
HDirtwater
I love arguing about which is a better movie between Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line. They are both so good, and so different.

Blackhawk down is a great movie to watch for pure action. Glory is the best civil war movie ever, and Apocolypse Now and Full Metal Jacket are the two best Vietnam movies. All time classics would be The Great Escape, Bridge on the River Kwai, and The Longest Day.

Some recent very bad movies: Windtalkers, Gods and Generals, and Pearl Harbor.
mceejaydee
Full Metal Jacket didn't have much war in my eyes. In half the movie it was boot camp but I still think Kubrick did a great job.
serazat
Paths of Glory
Stalag 17 (1953)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Full Metal Jacket
No Man's Land
M*A*S*H
Catch-22
Idi i smotri (1985)(COME AND SEE.BELARUS movie)
The Deer Hunter (1978)(on Vietnam war effect adapted from Remarque's Three Comrades)
Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) (I havent been able to see it yet but as far as I remember it's an oscar nominee for the best foreign language movie)
Gone with the Wind (1939)-American civil war of course
Taegukgi-Bortherhood of War the acclaimed Korean movie
The Killing Fields (1984)--a satire onon the Red Khmer killings in Cambodia and the western world's indifference
Hotel Rwanda (2004)-Rwanda genocide
The Pianist (2002)-the once suffering of those who slash civilians in Palestine and Lebanon now
Apocalypse Now (1979) better than Deer Hunter though it's not among my favs
pudovkin
Definitely, "Apocalypse now!" (the first version) and "The thin red line".
As an epic, there's "Gladiator" (great quote: "on my command, unleash hell"... WOW!)
hareluya
Very Happy
Nigeria
jar head is a war movie i really enjoyed it
GProject
Ivory Keys wrote:
The Thin Red Line is an awesome and very deep war movie. You should see that one. It's not just about war but has psychological things in it.

I agree with that, I just watched it a couple of weeks ago. If you're looking for war movies that are slightly off-beat then I also recommend Jarhead and Three Kings. Enjoy!
jds10912
All Quiet on the Western Front (WWI)
Saving Private Ryan (WWII)
Patriot (American Revolution)
Gettysburg [its a long-ass movie, but it is good] (American Civil War)

and for not real wars i would deffinetly suggest Lord of the Rings, specifically Return of the King and The Two Towers as well, and anything in the Star Wars hexalogy? (or series whatever you want to call it Cool )

it isnt much, but i'll edit this as soon as i think of more Smile
Traveller
All the obvious ones are already mentioned, so here's a less obvious one: To End All Wars. It was an exceptional film starring Kiefer Sutherland and Robert Carlyle, but it never got widespread release. It is, however, available on DVD, and is superb.

Although The Bridge on the River Kwai was a great movie, it was highly sanitised and "Hollywoodified." To End All Wars tells the true story about the Thailand-Burma Railway, and at the end (NOT a spoiler) even shows the REAL prison guard from the REAL incidents depicted. Of course, he was much older at the time the movie was made. In fact, he died shortly after the filming. The movie does take a few liberties with the content of the book, but remains substantially more true to the actual events than the older Kwai.