FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free firewall

Revvion
I am looking for a good free firewall with internet sharing supported because sygate has been taken over by symantec and stopping with support is only a matter of time. dous anybody know a good one?
arch23
Kerio Personal Firewall - http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
Zone labs have a free version of zonealarm - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/zonealarm.html
Revvion
the problem is they dont allow internet sharing (me being the gateway)
arch23
ok, that's new info Smile

anyway, here the whole list, I think most of the freeware firewalls that are worth mentioning are there - http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.html

good luck.
boringest
i think you can allow them thru' zonelarm's advanced settings where you add the other computers' IP into the Trusted Zone and also remember to set your security settings to allow outgoing dns/dhcp in trusted zone i think....no?
Revvion
in the free version the advance settings are disabled so thats not an option for me
ChunkyBustout
Try Smoothwall at http://www.smoothwall.org/

It's free, secure and very configurable.
gyaneshwar
Revvion wrote:
in the free version the advance settings are disabled so thats not an option for me

nope, you can go to Firewall, Zones, Add IP Host, Address range, address and subnet. It works with me as I am using free version.

Also you can use Freeproxy http://www.alphalink.com.au/~gregr.
kv
http://zonelabs.com/

A very nice one. Have been using them for a while and am very happy with it.
Revvion
Quote:
with internet sharing supported

Once again i must point out that the free zonealarm dous not support internet sharing (ICS protocol)
moncader
Zonealarm is the best firewall around. It just plain works while others just don't. (At least all the time). Get it, make sure its the free version though.
crimsonessence
I agree with chunky. Smoothwall is a great distro.. easy to set up and configure.. plus there are various mods ie. total control mod, etc. so you can customixe it a bit.. its great if you dont know much about linux too. So if u have an older comp laying around (or from a yardsale etc.), i think that smoothwall is a great choice.. http://www.smoothwall.org
longjack
Revvion wrote:
I am looking for a good free firewall with internet sharing supported because sygate has been taken over by symantec and stopping with support is only a matter of time. dous anybody know a good one?

I use the proxy from analogx http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm for a quick fix to share an internet connection. It's small and free. You have to point the browsers on the machines that will share to the IP of the machine that has proxy installed.

I'll use it if DSL goes down and I have to internet up some machines by sending them through a computer that has dialup going and is running the proxy.

That should free you up to chose any firewall you wish.

I have about 12 smoothwalls running now at various clients, so I can heartily add my 2 cents to the hardware firewall bandwagon.

It's cheap and reliable network solution to share an internet connection.

longjack
justinrs32
boringest wrote:
i think you can allow them thru' zonelarm's advanced settings where you add the other computers' IP into the Trusted Zone and also remember to set your security settings to allow outgoing dns/dhcp in trusted zone i think....no?

This is very correct Razz

-Justin
dandollinger
The free version of zone alarm is pretty good. I uses it all the time. It blocks all programs, hardware, spyware, etc... from accessing hte internet or from coming into your computer unless you click allow. If you don't know what it is, it will look it up online for you. It also has the handy checkbox "don't ask this again" type question. And it will block or allow it every time it tries to use internet. Better yet, it's free. If you pay ofr it, it will allow you to have features such as anti-virus and add/spyware removers.
slovenman
I used ZA free ver. for a while, but then switched to Agnitum Outpost. I think, (but not sure) that free version allows connection sharing. I use pro.
netjunk
I have a belkin router with a built in hardware NAT firewall but I also use the free firewall that comes in XP service pack 2. You can download it from their site or request a disk if you have a slow connection.
mastertork
I use blackICE.

If you are attacked the software automatically hacks the other computer or server to find out its information.

No real use tho, but it gives great protection.

Good Luck!
argha
A good free firewall is zonelarm its good and strong and you can configure as per your needs and its fairly easy to manage..
argha
A good free firewall is zonelarm its good and strong and you can configure as per your needs and its fairly easy to manage..
Revvion
k i got zonealarm (FREE version) again, but i still can't share my internet connection (i use my own pc to share it, so no router etc) can somebody plz tell me if it is posible to share internet this way (without turning the firewall of)?
Animal
Revvion wrote:
k i got zonealarm (FREE version) again, but i still can't share my internet connection (i use my own pc to share it, so no router etc) can somebody plz tell me if it is posible to share internet this way (without turning the firewall of)?

It should be possible - double-click on the ZoneAlarm icon in the taskbar, hit "Firewall" (on the left of the screen) then select the "Zones" tab. You'll then need to allow either an IP range or individual IPs (the IP addresses of the computers on your network). However, this may be confused slightly if you're using an Ad-Hoc network, where the other computers connect directly to the computer you need the firewall on. Is this the case?

If you're still experiencing problems, under the "Firewall" settings, you can set Trusted Zone security to low. Although this says the firewall is switched off, it only means that computers within your network are not controlled, but any traffic flowing into or out of the network to the internet is still controlled by ZoneAlarm. Try this and let us all know if it works - if so, great! If not, we'll all scratch our heads and try again.
Revvion
Nope sorry get this allert (when trusted zone security is medium, when low no alert but no sharing)

the firewall has blocked internetr acces to your computer (icmp unreachable) from **.**.***.***. (* = ip adres numbers)

and yes i am using an ad-hoc network
Animal
Are you running a firewall on the computer you're connecting to the server?

It may be blocking connections from the server computer, causing the ICMP Unreachable error.
Revvion
no that one is firewall free, and has windows me on it so no xp firewall
Animal
Can you get it to work without the Firewall enabled? I'm not suggesting you run it like this, but if you can't get it to work without the firewall, then we'll need to look at possible other causes of problems.

Are you connecting the computers wirelessly, or via a LAN cable?
Revvion
matt87
Maybe the one your using isn't too good. Just try one of the other firewalls people mentioned.
nntien
Revvion wrote:

I used to using many Firewalls for my work. And I have some ideas for you from my experiences. The easy way to config and easy to do is to use Kerio Personal Firewall for your PCs and use Kerio Winroute Firewall for your network! It's very excellent!
Try one time and then you will like it!
SamiTheBerber
Best firewall is simple text-based script firewalls, but they are only for Linux, not good for Windows-users Twisted Evil I'm happy to have Linux. Whe I had, truly had, Windows, I used Zone Alarm. It was pretty good and easy to install and to use. Norton is also good, but Norman Mad it is just lame and bugy.
Alya
Outpost or ZoneAlarm

Both have Free versions
silvergaze
u could try searcing for sygate personal nt the pro as pro must pay but the personal one nid not pay. it is very good as it would alert u when like some1 is pinging u n u could stop the ping ya it is a good program to try out.