FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

50 things you didn’t know!

eqfan
1/2-Kingcoke is cool
1 - Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
2 - Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
3 - There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
4 - The average person’s left hand does 56% of the typing.
5 - A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes
6 - There are more chickens than people in the world.
7 - The longest one-syllable word in the English language is”screeched.”
8 - On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
9 - All of the clocks in the movie “Pulp Fiction” are stuck on 4:20.
10 - No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
11 - “Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters “mt”.
12 - Almonds are a member of the peach family.
13 - There are only 4 words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
14 - A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
15 - An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
16 - Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
17 - In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
18 - Al Capone’s business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
19 - The characters Bert & Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “It’s a WonderfulLife.”
20 - A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.
21 - A goldfish has a memory span of 3 seconds.
22 - It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
23 - The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
24 - In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
25 - The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
26 - The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
27 - There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
28 - The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.
29 - A cockroach can live nine days without its head before it starves to death.
30 - A polar bear’s skin is black. Its fur is not white, but actually clear.
31 - Elvis had a twin brother named Aaron, who died at birth,which is why
Elvis’ middle name was spelled Aron: in honor of his brother. It is also
misspelled on his tomb stone.
32 - Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn’t wear pants.
33 - More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane
crashes. (Not any more!)
34 - Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand.
35 - Shakespeare invented the words “assassination” and “bump.”
36 - Marilyn Monroe had 6 toes on one foot.
37 - If you keep a goldfish in the dark room, it will eventually turn white.
38 - Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
39 - Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.
40 - The sentence “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English language .
41 - The names of the continents all end with the same letter with which they start.
42 - TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.
43 - The word racecar and kayak are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left.
44 - A snail can sleep for 3 years.
45 - American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class
46 - The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
47 - Vatican City is the smallest country in the world with a population of 1,000 and a size of 108.7 acres.
48 - “I am.” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
49 - No president of the United states was an only child.

And last and definitely most important:
50 - The average chocolate bar has 8 insects’ legs in it. (i really
needed to know that!!)
charlielowry
wow how long did that take you to do
ocalhoun
#51 the amount of rat crap in peanut butter is limited by government standards
atomictoyz
I read all 50 so you have to change the title of this thread to say "50 Things Some of You didn't know" Smile

Peace,
Dennis
All Maine Matters
Quote:
I read all 50 so you have to change the title of this thread to say "50 Things Some of You didn't know"

Not really...You probably didn't know them before you read the post.

You would have a legitimate point if the thread were entitled "50 Things You Don't Know."
All Maine Matters
#52: There is only one word which supplies 3 consecutive sets of double letters in it.

bookkeeper (or bookkeeping)
James Bond-007
I'm suprised I knew half of the things on there...
xorcist
I barely knew half of the things on that list most of them are interesting.
ocalhoun
Most people know at least one thing on that list, therefore your statement is invalid.
Many people who see this did know some of these things already.
izcool
I tend to get bored every now and then and look at useless fact sites. A majority of the ones that you listed I already knew about. Only a few that I didn't. Razz Still, it's pretty wild on what you can learn online sometimes.

- Mike.
soulman
50 - The average chocolate bar has 8 insects’ legs in it.

Oh my god..... shall I continue to eat chololate any more?
seanooi
soulman wrote:
50 - The average chocolate bar has 8 insects’ legs in it.

Oh my god..... shall I continue to eat chololate any more?

If I were you, I would stop Razz
narc
Ha ha ha, 8 insect legs. Big deal.

You know, that's the AVERAGE. That means some have none and some have 50. Oh no, I can't eat that! Bugs are good for you. And as long as they have been cooked they are 100% safe.
orc_lord
they are very interesting Laughing
kuroneko
ewww...the chocolate bar thing...icky...never eating chocolate again [just kidding >,<]
speedlikecy
many of i dont know...
Smile Smile Smile

this is so cool
44 - A snail can sleep for 3 years.
Cool Cool Cool
albert
I have seen the Chinese version of this post before,
but.......they seems a bit different ........
bao
let me know how much,Oh just fifteen thngs Laughing
Wotac
I knew a couple of those too:

-Yeap, I've heard that before.

-That must be fake, I know that I sneeze with my eyes open. I even tested that.

28 - The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.
-Heard that one too.

-That's old. At least for me because I live in Finland. That was like a million years ago, it's not like that anymore.

47 - Vatican City is the smallest country in the world with a population of 1,000 and a size of 108.7 acres.
-I knew it was the smallest, but I never even tried to memorize those numbers.

At least those I remember now that I have heard before. I'm not sure about that goldfish turning white, I might have heard of it.

Anyways, thanks for this intresting post.

Wotac
lituhanian
i know thers things

5 - A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes

10 - No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.

22 - It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open

25 - The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

40 - The sentence “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English language .
burzum
Wotac wrote:

you are not human if u can sneeze with your eyes open, thats not possible!

are u an alien? Laughing Laughing Laughing
vinodmishra
I know most of them. Its a very old mail being forwarded. Very Happy
Soltair
Quote:
On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.

Happily we do not use bills of less than 5 dollars since years... Wink Now we use a nifty polar-bear silver-and-gold piece.

Spiders? AT NIGHT? YUKKKKK!

Nice topic! Razz
n0obie4life
I've heard of..

YES. PITYFUL I KNOW Very Happy.

The others were nice to know Razz

I've heard of “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog”. But I never bothered to count if it uses every character Smile
schudder
Actually some interesting facts I didn't know in there...
I had heard of about half of them though.
I must say it's funny that you're the speaker of the house and you're not even allowed to actually speak!
waiteck
I know 20.. lol..
aerialdreams
HAHAHA! I knew 2, 10, 12, 16, 21, 32, 35, 40, and some other random ones too!!! I feel smart!! -hugs myself-.... not really... -_-;;
theo
um... too long
but i seem to know some of them
smokey4life
Lol that was a great list, i can prolly think a few more to add ;0
waisheng
Well, nice! Got more or not? Please post it out. Thanks. Razz
Jack_Hammer

It has been proved that a goldfish actually has a memory span of months, it is just misconception that...

Quote:
a goldfish has a memory span of 3 seconds.
Jack_Hammer
50 - The average chocolate bar has 8 insects’ legs in it. (i really
needed to know that!!)

Just think of how many insects you eat every day in bread, because combine harvisters just pick up all the corn and all the insects cobwebs etc on the corn as well which get ground down into your bread / flour.
Jack_Hammer
Quote:

That is impossible for any person, because every fuction in the human body stops whilst you sneeze including your heart.
silli
Interesting... I didn't know anything from the list i knew. I'm suprised Very Happy
budazz
i know everything lol
angelo
Wow! This one is impressive! How did you come up with the list? Where did you got all of these? Very Happy
hangnhu
I love reading facts like this, however I have to reduce your number down to 47, I already knew fact number 30, 36 & 47
Funny how 40 & 41 are really plain, I never notice, but then again, that because I never really care, facts are good to read, but do we care half the time?
eqfan
i know some:
11 - “Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters “mt”.
13 - There are only 4 words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
19 - The characters Bert & Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “It’s a WonderfulLife.”
24 - In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
eqfan
albert wrote:
I have seen the Chinese version of this post before,
but.......they seems a bit different ........

lol.yes i have seen that too.it is from a chinese forum
riv_
Some stupid facts about me...
#1- rat crap and insect legs in peanut butter and (especially) chocolate in no way discourages me from eating them regularly.
#2- gov't regulations on quantity of animal feces allowed in hot dogs prevents me from eating them entirely.
Go figure.
yule
Inside that I knew very many saying.
shwetanshu
Very nice man, i knew atleast 20 of them.. keep em coming
Wotac
Sorry people my mistake, I don't sneeze with eyes open.
I thought that it meant other thing. I can only use one excuse: I'm from Finland and english is not my main language.

I thought that it meant to sniff to paper if you have a flu or something. That's why I even wondered that.
classv4
Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow and even if I will write Million "Wow"s it isn't much...
KHO
Neutral wow, l knew about half those things Neutral
clip
yay! nice post!~ thanks for sharing! Laughing
Daniel15
I believe that some of those facts are sourced from this site, which lists 371 'useless' facts.
LA Ridge
How 'bout this...

The majority of successful and powerful people (including Presidents, etc.) have a mental condition that would qualify them for Social Security Disability if their condition were to become public knowledge or be properly diagnosed.

I found this out researching my own bipolar thing. ( I kinda made it up from that research) So I guess it's only psuedo factual...Laughing
vignesh_natraj
eqfan wrote:
29 - A **** can live nine days without its head before it starves to death.

What is this * Question .Anyway a good information.
vignesh_natraj
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Quote:

That is impossible for any person, because every fuction in the human body stops whilst you sneeze including your heart.

Yes i agree with you.I knew this.
Nicekiwi9
hey, u can so sneez with your eyes open, i tryed it and nothing happend.... Idea Shocked
Nicekiwi9
vignesh_natraj wrote:
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Quote:

Yes i agree with you.I knew this.

so your saying your BRAIN stops working when u sneez....., and your heart....., strange if ur brain stops theres nothing to tell ur heart to restart..... and so on.....and u did say EVERY function
LA Ridge
I am just wondering how many applications it takes to get a grant to study something as lame as how much memory a goldfish has, etc.?

People actually make a whole career researching some of this very useless garbage... lol And, to make it even worse, they use OUR tax dollars to fund it!

I guess it makes good banter for forum threads though, so not a total waist (Yeah, right)
Dread Lord Chaos
People people...a person CAN sneeze with their eyes open although it's quite a rare occasion when it does happen and usually there eyes are half open. When this occurs, a person's eyes pop out slightly. The people you see on guiness primetime for instance, they can do that because they sneezed with their eyes open at one point or another. I've never heard of a person eyes completely popping otu which is why I don't think anyone has had their eyes completely open while sneezing. But people can sneeze with their eyes open...I don't recommend you try Wink
jeremoi
Those are all quite interesting, here is an other, Liechtenstein and Uzbekistan are the only doubly landlocked countries in the world.
LA Ridge
If I ever sneezed with my eyes open I can guarantee that my eyes and some grey matter would come flying out of my sockets! People can hear me sneezing for miles away...

I never thought about the eyes popping out though, hmmmmm.

I got one... Did you know that the State that you reside in is not part of the United States of America?

The United States of America is located in the District of Columbia. The other States are sovereign nations and can leave the Union anytime they want. The reason most would not is blackmail by the Federal Government relating to money recieved for various social programs and highway funds.

Did you know the Federal Reserve Bank is not part of the government? It is a private banking institution.

Ref:

The Constitution contains only two sections dealing with monetary issues. Section 8 permits Congress to coin money and to regulate its value. Section 10 denies states the right to coin or to print their own money. The framers clearly intended a national monetary system based on coin and for the power to regulate that system to rest only with the federal government. The delegates at the Constitutional convention rejected a clause that would have given Congress the authority to issue paper money. They also rejected a measure that would have specifically denied that ability to the federal government (Hammond, 92). Although the Constitution does not state that the federal government has the power to print paper currency, the Supreme Court in McCulloch vs Maryland (1819) ruled unanimously that the Second Bank of the United States and the banknotes it issued on behalf of the federal government were Constitutional.

The "Second Bank of the United States" has the same meaning as "Bank of America." It's a privately owned group of banks. That is who the "National Debt" is owed to. We "borrow" huge somes of "money" or (ones and zero's), and they charge us "interest." What a scam! No wonder conspiracy theories abound! Because many of them hold threads of truth!

Don't get me started... Twisted Evil
LA Ridge
KHO wrote:
Neutral wow, l knew about half those things Neutral

I really liked your use of lighting effects on that .gif banner there on your site! Just wanted to mention it.

Hope I wasn't sounding too wierd on my last post. I really am fascinated with the economy and what makes it tick. Strange economic envronment we live in right now for sure...
Jeremy
i knew 49 and 50 before i read it. Those are a lot of things!
ainieas
Good post! Pretty educating!! Smile
hahame
some post code are not work yet
snjripp
That is really a remarkable list. Where did you find it or how did you come up with it?
aningbo
one word.... and thats pretttty coooool.

where on earth did u ever think to make something like that...lol
guissmo
i have more!

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

A crocodile can't stick its tongue out.

A shrimp's heart is in their head.

People say, "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand (or attempted to do so - apart from Bones).

It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

Between 1937 and 1945 Heinz produced a version of Alphabet Spaghetti especially for the German market that consisted solely of little pasta swastikas.

In average, a human being will have sex more than 3,000 times and spend two weeks kissing in their lifetime.

More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

Rats and horses can't vomit.

The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.

Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

23% of all photocopier faults, worldwide, are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.

In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.

Most lipstick contains fish scales.

Cat's urine glows under a black light.

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

And, over 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:DGPSG6J28EwJ:www.rustypipeliner.com/Thoughts/Didnotknow.htm+%22You+can%27t+lick+your+elbow%22&hl=tl&client=firefox-a
karysky
51st here (I learned it yesterday)

It takes exactly 8 seconds for an average grape to explode in a high intensity microwave!

Try it ! Wink
Dustin
lol, thats waeosme i like number 8
On a Canadian two-dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.

its a shame i donthavea 2dollar bill anymore to check that out Sad
rob31
It was proven on the television program 'Mythbusters' that finish have a substantially longer memory span then 3 seconds. The fish were taught to go through a maze and then were left for some period of time and then they went through the maze on their own.
TRANScend
ocalhoun wrote:
Most people know at least one thing on that list, therefore your statement is invalid.
Many people who see this did know some of these things already.

Oh come on. You got the sentiment. Grow up and say something interesing.
mstreet
Here's something I'm not 100 percent sure about. Why the heck are mukluks the cool thing to wear in the UK. I'm Canadian and I find it hilarious that they are cool here. The real ones honestly keep your feet warm and have gorgeous beading on them and are handmade. I truly hope that some person from the First Nations are benefitting from this.
This is something that most Canadians probably don't know about.
ujjeh
LOL. You can make up so many things. Even I made one.

Want me to make Very Happy ears? Here you go 'Very Happy'
fiveboltbox
hmm... i knew a few since i do some reserch in nature and biology and physics stuff... but i gues that theres a lot more interesting stuff that we dont know...
essentialmedia
#5 the Shark is a mammal and not a fish

Did you compile the list or did you find that on the internet?

Just curious as it is an interesting list.

Shane
cnnet
only 50 things?
I don't agree
we have lots of things unknown
menhao
wow, actually, i dont know any of your list, but i am wondering if this is you discovery? lol
ml
# 51: my little brother has more scars on his body than he has fingers ^^
(but they're not the ugly big ones Very Happy )
hac
Wow this is excellent.

Quote:
A **** can live nine days without its head before it starves to death.

The **** should stand for 'c-o-c-k-roach'.
adwya
thanks to know
adwya
thanks to know