FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Personal Composition (copy)

Clergy
I actually already placed this in the MUSIC forum, but I figured this would also be a good location for the question:
_____________ _______________ _____________ ______________

Does anyone here compose?

I have recently started using Finale 2005 for my compositions to save the carpal tunnel of hand scoring. However, I am finding a few flaws and I am wondering if anyone else has as well.

When I convert the file to audio (mp3), it decides whether or not it wants to ignore the ritards and fermatas and then acts accordingly. It may play one fermata in the piece, and then ignore another. It usually drops it ESPECIALLY if it's on the final measure.

Anyone else on this?
SunburnedCactus
I mainly use Sibelius to be honest, but these sorts of problems are usually to do with the MIDI timings, and they do tend to creep in with more complex operations such as fermatas etc. unless you have a very accurate MIDI clock.

That said, sometimes it just reads the score wrong. Smile
Clergy
SunburnedCactus wrote:
I mainly use Sibelius to be honest, but these sorts of problems are usually to do with the MIDI timings, and they do tend to creep in with more complex operations such as fermatas etc. unless you have a very accurate MIDI clock.

That said, sometimes it just reads the score wrong. Smile

Not familiar with that program. Is it an actual scoring proggie? How does it compare to Finale?
SunburnedCactus
Sibelius is actually pretty similar to Finale, but I used it on a music course so I got into it a bit. Once you get used to it it's dead easy to use and there are a lot of features.

Also it has a built in sampler for realistic audio!
Clergy
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Sibelius is actually pretty similar to Finale, but I used it on a music course so I got into it a bit. Once you get used to it it's dead easy to use and there are a lot of features.

Also it has a built in sampler for realistic audio!

Excellent! Thanks for the link. I am gonna check out the demo. As I said, I really like Finale, but it has some quirks that are somewhat annoying.
James Bond-007
Well, the only thing I compose with is loops...and I use Sony ACID Pro. Its good software...You guys should check out the trial at http://www.acidplanet.com
Clergy
James Bond-007 wrote:
Well, the only thing I compose with is loops...and I use Sony ACID Pro. Its good software...You guys should check out the trial at http://www.acidplanet.com

I believe I will. heh...

I already use Sony Video Vegas 5.0 for video editing... may as well make it a sony package.