FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Laptop

s43ros
I'm trying to find a good laptop. One that will be able to handle some awesome FPS and RTS games, as well as Photoshop and some 3d CAD and design progams,which are more or less a hobby of mine. What are some of the best brands for this kind of computer and about what price range.
TheNEC
if you want a flatout graphics beast, try alienware, or anything with the, umm, i forget what brand it was, it says 64 something processor, its supposed to be in the 4 ghz range. You can get a decent laptop the handles graphics built in your local computer shop for cheaper than you would for name brand, but if you have a couple bucks, I would say alienware if you were going Windows. If going mac, they have some PCs with dual processors that run in the 4 ghz range.
bucky100771
I can't get over how cheap laptops have become. With less than 800.00 CAN$ you can get yourself a laptop that basically handles most anything you'll ever need. I know this is a very simple post, but I used to own a computer store (1995-1999) and at the time laptops, even a basic configuration of a non-recognized brand, would run you at least $2500.00 I was looking at a Dell system online for $799.00. I am not promoting Dell, nor am I affiliated with them in any way. Just using it as an example. In any case, there is a moral here....wait if you can.
James Bond-007
Yeah, I'm in that same predicament too...finding a good laptop. May I suggest a gateway? They have AMD 64's and a great screen. That is what I'm planing to get.
asmiller08
If you're looking for a gaming laptop, be sure to check out the videocard that is installed. Often, manufacturers will label a laptop as "Multimedia and Gaming" and then skimp on the videocard, trying to distract users with powerful processors or ram. However, the videocard is probably the most essential part of the computer for gaming. Try to find a laptop with 6800 mobile or 7800 mobile videocard. They will, however, be a lot more expensive (think $2000-$3000).
chodus
so i have a acer 1513 lmi
athlon 64 3400 +
my frind played on this laptoop in doom 3 under linux in highest details !!

this machine is very fast Smile i have on it suse linux 10.0 64 bit this is grat system i recomd it to you all !!
TheGeek
Look at Toshiba, they make some pretty sturdy laptops.

Make sure whatever you have has AMD in it, most companies, or atleast i know Emachines and I think Dell and HP are moving souly to AMD for the most part. Make sure what you get is 64Bit also because its gunna be the standard in about a year or 2. Your probably also gunna want a nice vid card obviously, lol, for CAD and stuff, see if there is either a Toshiba or IBM (another good company in my experience, i still have a laptop from 99 from them and it works great) that has like either an Nvidia 6600 or i think they have a mobile 7800 now even.

Good luck and happy...um...spending lol.
KHO
James Bond-007 wrote:
Yeah, I'm in that same predicament too...finding a good laptop. May I suggest a gateway? They have AMD 64's and a great screen. That is what I'm planing to get.
Suggest a gateway? Pshh, I suggest not using a gateway or a Dell if at all possible, both are know for very frequent crashing and or "blue screen of death" And l am speaking recently, I deal with them all the time in my line of work, and they arent compatable with crap (dell is a little better now in this area), and are rarely worth the buy. Right now l'm looking at some Acer stuff, no l'm not affiliated with them in any manor, but l desprately need a good notebook, and they look quite nice, l've handled a few and like them over all, good battery life, great compatablility, they don't install about a gb of random crap like Dell and gateway do, and l have yet to have reports of it dying in less than 4 years (with proper handling)
kv
Don't have much experience with laptops, but don't go for a toshiba.
leodv
I agree with kv for not going for toshiba, currently i have toshiba satellite pro m10 for my school work, their support aren't really that great. I suppose ibm t43 might suit your needs, with a X300 pcie graphics, it's a killer, at the expense of slightly more power consumption.
koolbluez
Me too in search of Good Gaming & 3d graphics Laptop with big screen,xcellent performance.. in short A COMPLETE DESKTOP REPLACEMENT!!!

Might round up on Dell Inspiron 9300

Brilliant. That's the word that best describes the Dell Inspiron 9300, a top performer that won't break your back or the bank. This powerful 7.9-pound notebook sports a bright 17-inch 1440 x 900-pixel widescreen display, lasts for more than 4 hours on a charge, and runs games and graphics applications faster than you'd expect for a 2.0-GHz system. Throw in a sleek white and silver design, near-instant access to media files, and a manageable $1,481 price and you have one of the most highly recommended desktop replacements.

QUICK SPECS:
CPU 1.73GHz Intel Pentium M Processor 760
Operating System Windows XP Home
RAM/Expandable to 512MB/2GB
Hard Drive 80GB
Optical Drive 8X DVD-R/24X CD-RW
Display/Resolution 17 inch/WUXGA
Graphics/Video ATI Mobility Radeon X300/128MB
Wireless Networking 802.11b/g
Ports 6 USB, FireWire, SD, VGA, modem, Ethernet, DVI, S-video, headphones, mic
PC Card Slots One Type II
Memory Card Slots SD
Weight 7.9 pounds
Dimensions 1.6 x 15.5 x 11.3 inches
Service and Support 1 year, parts and labor
happy_harry
s43ros wrote:
I'm trying to find a good laptop. One that will be able to handle some awesome FPS and RTS games, as well as Photoshop and some 3d CAD and design progams,which are more or less a hobby of mine. What are some of the best brands for this kind of computer and about what price range.

HP Compaq NX6110 range are getting some rave reviews (excellent keyboard, good battery life) But they are probably not too good as a game machine
Kd527
Well, if you wanna make the switch the Apple PowerBook is a great computer. I use an iBook which I game on and use Photoshop.
djpalmer93
iBook and Powerbook are brilliant! i really reccommend them!

for more info go to:

www.apple.com/ibook

www.apple.com/powerbook