FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AIM triton

snowboardalliance
New AIM is out. I havn't upgraded in a while but I was considering this one. Just one question to anyone that has tried it. Is it as bloated as it looks? Right now I just use AIM 5.2 and DeadAIM 1.2.3
James Bond-007
I tried it, and I dont really care for it. I mean, it looks good and all, but there are still some bugs.
snowboardalliance
Yeah, I guess I'm sticking with the old version. I would say 5.2/deadAIM are almost perfect, only thing I would want from newer versions is screenname linking to log on all ypur names at once.
ocelotweb
Yeah I agree AIM really is getting to be a pain in the butt the more they upgrade the more bugged it gets. It's really starting to mess up on me now. The same thing can be said for AOL. I am still on 7.0. Yes I am on aol pity me not. My dad is far too cheap to get something faster.... DSL is wonderful. But I agree the screen name linking is cool. You can add me to your aim list if you want to I'm looking to start a new circle of friends. AIM: ocelotweb.
driftingfe3s
I didn't find it too bad. Thing is, when you run triton which is the (aim6.exe) process, it launches another process, aolsoftware.exe. Why 2 processes?

It did go GM, but it was a rushed release. Its nowhere near done and there are still some bothersome bugs. I don't know if it there are plans of it being implemented but direct connect, and choosing your own buddy icon from your hard drive is not yet in there (you can however use that aim expressions stuff).
Aiz
I tried the Triton a while back. There's no doubt it looked better but there are several things that I didn't like that prompted me to get rid of it =P

1) Although you can uninstall it afterwards, but still the fact that triton installer installs tha AOL browser on my computer without my permission ticked me off
2) Although it looked better, that seems like all there was to it, not any of the useful features and the such. If I just wanted a good looking client that can let me chat on AIM, there's Trillian and all those other universal chat clients around >.>;

I can't quite remember if it was a memory hogger or not, but with the better interface, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
90degreedesign
Maybe it was b/c i'm on an 800 MHz celeron but triton would lag my computer ALOT and I couldn't stand it so I say just stick with AIM 5.9 It was the best so far..

Random fact: did you know that Aim 5.9 and below is the EXACT same as the one that came out in 1995?Shocked its just AIM 1.0 with lotsa patches Razz
Talk2Tom11
I prefer to use Trillian and not AIM at all. I find that trillian has soo many more features and doesn't crash ever. Even with deadaim, AIM doesn't compare to Trillian. Not only can you be on every different messenger service at once, there is thousands of skins for it.
driftingfe3s
Talk2Tom11 wrote:
I prefer to use Trillian and not AIM at all. I find that trillian has soo many more features and doesn't crash ever. Even with deadaim, AIM doesn't compare to Trillian. Not only can you be on every different messenger service at once, there is thousands of skins for it.

I used trillian for a while. I stopped using it becuase I would IM people and sometime they would not receive the messages. After a while I got fed up with it and I switched back to AIM. If there's another update to Trillian, I'll try it out agian and see if i get the same problems.

Also, Gaim 2.0 should be out soon. I hope its much better than the older version and has a graphical face lift.
kam311
I hated it and went back to the previous version. It's just completely unnecessay, and it's rather difficult to navigate and use.