FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Login without server scripting

Timmie24
I am wondering if anyone knows a way to include a login in an html page, without using php, asp or any other server-side scripts. I have used a javascript tool before - http://javascript.internet.com/passwords/gatekeeper-in.html - but this is rather unsafe. Are there any alternatives? Anything with xml perhaps?

thanks,
t.
arch23
there are free services like this one: http://www.bravenet.com/webtools/passwd/index.php
mathiaus
and what does it say on that page ?
Quote:
Server Side Authentication

Anyway, out of interest why do you want to do this? Confused Whats wrong with using a server side language?
I've seen some javascript logins but their either as secure as an open door or are only for access to a page and arent really a proper user login.
arch23
mathiaus wrote:
and what does it say on that page ?
Quote:
Server Side Authentication

yeah it's server side, but not your server...
Timmie24
Quote:
Anyway, out of interest why do you want to do this? Confused Whats wrong with using a server side language?

On a lot of standard webspaces, like the ones you get with your internet access at home, no php or asp is supported, so you can't use it for logins etc.

Quote:
I've seen some javascript logins but their either as secure as an open door or are only for access to a page and arent really a proper user login.

Correct. Like the Gatekeeper example I mentioned before.
mattd8752
Timmie24 wrote:
Quote:

On a lot of standard webspaces, like the ones you get with your internet access at home, no php or asp is supported, so you can't use it for logins etc.

Quote:

Correct. Like the Gatekeeper example I mentioned before.
Get an account here, frihost gives you php.
shabda
Quote:
no php or asp is supported,

You get it for free here. Why not use it?
Aby way I dont know, but how can you have logins without server side. The only way I can think is to have a list of all your users in the source, either a HTML or a JS. But then its visible to anyone who can right click. Huh? What sort of security is that?
Timmie24
shabda wrote:
You get it for free here. Why not use it?
Aby way I dont know, but how can you have logins without server side. The only way I can think is to have a list of all your users in the source, either a HTML or a JS. But then its visible to anyone who can right click. Huh? What sort of security is that?

You are right. It is a question I got from someone else, and I responded the same way - get some free php webhosting!
gameking
Looking 4 a loginscript??

watch http://www.hotscripts.com/search/7415856.html

enough choises Very Happy Exclamation
simplyw00x
The only two actual password protection schemes are server-side scripting or .htaccess. If security is only a mild priority you can get JS ones which encrypt the pass so it's not immediately visible in the source.
shabda
Quote:
If security is only a mild priority

If you want a password protected page, JS solution only probably wont work.
Quote:
The only two actual password protection schemes are server-side scripting or .htaccess

But then those hosts which donot give PHP also wont give htaccess![/quote]
mattd8752
I think you could do MD5 or PGP encription throught javascript. Then compare the encripted to the encrypted...
kv
shabda wrote:
Quote:
If security is only a mild priority

If you want a password protected page, JS solution only probably wont work.
Quote:
The only two actual password protection schemes are server-side scripting or .htaccess

But then those hosts which donot give PHP also wont give htaccess!
[/quote]

Not really. Php and htaccess has nothing to do with each other. htaccess is a webserver provided security feature and php is a server side scripting language.