FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What to learn first?

lockwolf
I am thinking on learning a programming language but the thing is, there are so many of them out there I dont know where to start. So could someone give me a nice one to start on.
S3nd K3ys
lockwolf wrote:
I am thinking on learning a programming language but the thing is, there are so many of them out there I dont know where to start. So could someone give me a nice one to start on.

Programming or Scripting?

I'd go with Basic (i.e. Visual Basic, VBScript, Basic, Visual Studio etc). It's a fairly easy language to learn, and there's a ton of help available.
raver
i would propose something else....start learning php....once you are confident on that you should start with c++ and then c# ...after learning php you will find it very easy to learn c++ and afterwards c#
eliasr
i would start with html, because it really easy, that you would learn it fast, then php, perl (because there is alot of totorials here, then virsual C++ then mySQl, thats only if you ask me. but any, i get points for this
ocalhoun
I say: start with C++, that way you don't have to change later.
Its not any more difficult than any other language, and you'll be impressing your friends.
S3nd K3ys
ocalhoun wrote:
Its not any more difficult than any other language,....

*cough*BS*cough*

Wink
Naif
hmm... Two good options are Visual Basic or C++/Java.

Visual Basic is a good start for a a beginner with no previous experience with programming. You can easily grasp the concepts of programming through it. As compared to a language like C++, using VB you can create a GUI application in a jiffy where as its not like that in C++. Visual Basic allows the programmer to focus on the problem in hand and leave the GUI part to it(i.e., it lets you be more productice with your time by supporting Rapid Application Development) but in C++, you'll have to take care of everything. The syntax used in Visual basic is much more simpler than that of C++.

By saying all this good about VB, I am not trying to imply its better than C++. I am just saying its a good language for starters. The power of C++ can never be compared with VB. Most of the major software applications, utilities and operating systems are/were written either using C/C++. The horizon of C/C++ is much wider than that of VB. But with power comes complexity. According to your post, it seems obvious you would like to learn how to program on your own. Without a good teacher, learing C++ wouldnt be easy. That though is just my personal opinion. There are alot of technical details in C++ which are hard to understand for a person who doesnt have much understanding of programming. Ask me, the first language I tried to learn was C. It took me a year to learn it.

Hope you find this post to be of help.
slashgrab
take c++ which is the most powerful (for me) programming language when it comes to write programs. it's not the easiest either but with some effort you'll get.
if you prefer creating webpages, best option would be html (very,very easy) and quickly move to php.
shabda
Quote:
I say: start with C++, that way you don't have to change later.
Its not any more difficult than any other language, and you'll be impressing your friends.

No you will be banging your head up the wall. i tried to learn c++ but got so irritated left in frustation. Only after I had learnt java/php I can even start to uderstand it.
If you wanna learn start with java/python or php if you are more into webdesigning. Ill not say vb, coz though easy it is a poorly designed language with tools which are too costly.
avk
Yup!
C++ will be good
S3nd K3ys
shabda wrote:

No you will be banging your head up the wall.

Agreed.

I would seriously advise AGAINST learning C++ first. It is difficult if you don't know about program structure, flow, syntax etc etc etc. There are other languages (VB, HTML etc) that are much MUCH easier to learn than C++.
Grimboy
Starting with a syntactically easy language such as php is great then move on to C++ or C#. Personally I started off with C++ then got interested in web development. On the other hand python is an option for desktop development if you're not doing anything to heavy.

C++ is really syntactically strict though.
elekis
personaly I beguns with HTML after there was javascript etc..etc.. bow I basicly use c++

but I understand something about language prog.
the first thing is : you have to know what you wanna do. and after chose your language in fonction than you wanna make.

exemple
if it's web site don't learn c++ etc..etc...

other things, if you want make programme (not game not web) begins by PYTHON it's easy and not complex.
a++
Simulator
I found it easy to go, HTML, PHP and then C++, I find that the whole PHP and C++ thing is quite the same