FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Designing for Web 2.0

jaykay
There are some discussions about designing websites for Web 2.0. Jason Kottke gives some advice for new design paradigms. Have a look at http://www.kottke.org/04/10/design-for-web-20
modak
I don't exactly understand the concept of Web 2.0. What technologies are used in Web 2.0 ? What websites exemplify the concept of Web 2.0 ? What existing tools facilitate the development of Web 2.0 webapps ? Where can I find tutorials that teach me the basics ?

Some more information and clarifications would help
dkbg
Erm, web 2.0. Its pretty much just a buzzword which attempts to convey the idea that the web is evolving into something different than it was before. Nothing more.

Web 2.0 basically refers to the recent upsurge in the usage of various technologies (i.e. AJAX), new user interaction ideas (i.e. tagging of submitted content), more of a focus on user submitted content (i.e. blogs, social tagging services), and obviously many other factors. This can include many "social" bookmarking/tagging/whatever sites such as del.icio.us, Flickr, and Last.fm. Obviously there are many many other sites which could be considered to exist under the "Web 2.0" umbrella designation.

For a more comprehensive and better described outline, you can read this article on Wikipedia.
modak
dkbg wrote:
Erm, web 2.0. Its pretty much just a buzzword which attempts to convey the idea that the web is evolving into something different than it was before. Nothing more.

Web 2.0 basically refers to the recent upsurge in the usage of various technologies (i.e. AJAX), new user interaction ideas (i.e. tagging of submitted content), more of a focus on user submitted content (i.e. blogs, social tagging services), and obviously many other factors. This can include many "social" bookmarking/tagging/whatever sites such as del.icio.us, Flickr, and Last.fm. Obviously there are many many other sites which could be considered to exist under the "Web 2.0" umbrella designation.

For a more comprehensive and better described outline, you can read this article on Wikipedia.

Uh-huh, thanks for the intro, and especially for the Wikipedia link.
drtooty
CAN ANYONE INFORM ME HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST??
a_dubDesign
I don't know about Web2.0, but I'm super excited to see what happens when I2 technology hits the masses, 100gigs per second, just imagine what a website could be then.
modak
Me thinks it'll be more fun when someone builds a data grid tool for Ajax apps, and uses that to build an Ajax office suite, that can be hosted on company extranets.

Imagine working on the spreadsheet from home, over your Nokia 770 !!
littlegiant
That Wikipedia AJAX link should lead here actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29

The one previously posted leads to a disambiguation page.

(edit)

That Wikipedia article on Web 2.0 is an excellent article, by the way. It really clears up a lot. Thanks for posting the link to that. Nothwithstanding, I still get the impression that all this Web 2.0 jazz is much ado about nothing.
Grimboy
The main thing is AJAX which has been around for ages but it cool now because google use it. Do you remember when people were slagging javascript? Now everyone just want "perdy fades".
Marston
In my opinion, Web 2.0 is just another way of saying useless. Tags? Pffft. Who needs that? The last darn thing I want to see is another social tagging site, the online blogging scene has been saturated by the thousands of pointless blogger accounts, and user-submitted content has been around for ages. The only real good thing to come out of Web 2.0 is AJAX (a programming language which I have no interest in learning).

Bah humbug!
littlegiant
Well said, Marston! That's what I really meant to say. You put it all together rather nicely.
dkbg
Ajax isn't a "programming language", it's just a different application of an already existing programming language, JavaScript, along with XML. Remember, Ajax stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML (Extensible Markup Language).

Tags are actually a very useful way of organising information. Creating a list of keywords which apply strongly to the subject of a certain piece of media allows easier indexing and user discovery.

Obviously, there will be people who just want to jump onto the "Web 2.0 bandwagon" and thus there will be an influx of many "Web 2.0" type sites, but thats just the nature of buzzword hype. Whether you find these sites useful or not is your opinion, the term was just coined to describe a shift in the way the web was working, it was not a conscious marketing decision by someone wanting to flood the web with social tagging applications and blogs. As it stands now, it has been turned into something more than just a descriptive term unfortunately.

Sorry about the Ajax Wikipedia disambiguation link, I just wrote the URL without consulting the actual page.