FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interested in making your own game?

Mr_Grey
Ok, here goes, and yes I'm serious.

Go to download.com and search for RPG Maker XP. It's a trial download and the full version is like $60 USD but believe me its worth it.

Not an RPG Fan? you dont have to be. you can make ANY kind of game with this engine. It has a very advanced scripting system based off of RUBY. It's a little complicated at first, but if you've ever programmed before it'll be simple for you.

Not a programmer? thats ok too. RPG Maker XP has done all the scripts for you. All you have to do is point and click to make a great game.

Check out rmxp.net and dubealex.com for some good tutorials and resources on how to use this program to its full extent. Also you could check out zixbit.frih.net (my site) and see a few good tutorials and check on our upcomming game "The 3rd Realm"

Also for you adventurous types who wanna go full out, i recommend using photoshop for your graphics and fruityloops to make your music.

Thats about it, if anyone on here has used RMXP before please post your support!
Monkeydog
ewww RMXP.
I really hate RMXP, RM2K3 is sooo much more better, if used right.
ruff_ryder
I actually use RMXP to make my own games, I am making now right now Cool
Monkeydog
The only good thing about RMXP is it's actually legal, unlike RM95/2K/2K3... ;_;
Yjaxygames
If you want to make a good game very easy, try Gamemaker. This is the site: www.gamemaker.nl
Monkeydog
Gamemaker, you need to know it's programming languge, with RM2K/2K3 you need to know nothing, really.
Mr_Grey
rm2k3 had its moment of glory, but its old hat now. You just cant do the kind of stuff you can do with RMXP. Ruby is a very simple language to learn, and you can take the knoweledge from ruby and actually make your own engine, if you want. In rm2k3, you just had the options of all the built in crap. and yes, it was crap. RMXP just has way more features.
Hayloe
Anybody who wants to make games, and is serious about it should toy around with the game Generators, but only for a bit and then jump into C++ or Visual Basic tutorials, there are literally hundreds of them and hey, if your good at math you will be good at programming, almost guaranteed. I started off by RPG Maker 98 (I did not know it was illegal back then) then i learned HTML, Visual Basic, and now Im taking a class in C++ and 3D Modeling =P goes to show ya, Something as simple as a game generator can encourage someone to learn something new.
sugarbox
Laughing i use mugen + C++ for my fighting game.
Monkeydog
Mr_Grey wrote:
rm2k3 had its moment of glory, but its old hat now. You just cant do the kind of stuff you can do with RMXP. Ruby is a very simple language to learn, and you can take the knoweledge from ruby and actually make your own engine, if you want. In rm2k3, you just had the options of all the built in crap. and yes, it was crap. RMXP just has way more features.

No you don't, if you've seen stuff people like Carius has done...
Deji
if anyone has seen minerva you will know that is so worth waiting for vs paying $60 for RPGXP

www.r-pg.net = wins.
Monkeydog
Oh yes, minerva. I've been waiting for that for a while. ^^

It's going to rock...
Deji
Monkeydog wrote:
Oh yes, minerva. I've been waiting for that for a while. ^^

It's going to rock...

yes yes it is..

i was tempted before to offer to try and help with the spriting for the RTP files.. but im not very good ^^;;;;
trickstott
Might I add Klik n' Play to the list here? http://www.clickteam.com/English/klilk&play.htm

It's been almost a decade since I used it, but over the course of eight hours I put together a three stage space shooter with a boss fight and never even needed to touch code. Other people that worked with me created a Prince of Persia game and a Zelda style quest game. There were no RPG's in the group, but they shouln't be that much more difficult to make in that editor.

Seriously though folks, you may want to look into using some of the more powerful editors, like Radiant or UnrealEd. Both have a pretty powerful scripting language, and with UnrealEd you can easily create your own models using Maya PLE.
Mr_Grey
Minerva does look promising. I just hope its not another one of those homebrewn game designers that goes belly-up before its even released.

I, for one, dont think thats going to happen seeing as how the r-pg team making Minerva is composed of a whole team as opposed to just one person fiddling around with visual basic.

To everyone who seems to hate RPG Maker XP:
look, I realize that there are many more game creation engines out there than RMXP. I like it because, well, I like it. I'm not saying that the other engines are no good. They're all great and I agree that the purpose of these creation engines is to get your foot in the door if you want to go into real time interactive software development. I've used a majority of them and my all time favorite is nemo. However, since nemo is very expensive I thought this would be a good way to get people interested in game development. I appologise for making so many of you mad and I wont say another word about it.