FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google is paying $1 to every referral to get firefox.

shabda
If you are like me/any normal person and hate m$, many of your sites would have the getfirefox banner. Now captain google makes it more lucrative to get people to convert to firefox. Now you get $1 for each person you get to convert to firefox.
Quote:
Spread Firefox welcomes a new teammate in helping to us spread the word about Firefox -- Google. This morning Google announced a new feature for their Adsense program called AdSense Referrals.

This feature gives AdSense publishers the opportunity to recommend a product they believe would be useful to their site visitors while earning additional revenue at the same time. Publishers get paid for referring new AdSense customers but more importantly (to us,) it allows AdSense publishers to earn revenue by recommending Firefox to their visitors.

Google will be providing a set of buttons for AdSense Referral publishers encouraging viewers to download "Firefox with the Google Toolbar." AdSense Referrals will pay up to $1 per conversion -- a conversion occurs when someone successfully installs Firefox with the Google Toolbar.

We're very excited about this program and hope to see more similar programs available to web publishers in the future. (If you're interested in launching a similar program, please contact partners@mozilla.com.)

From.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2005/11/google_referral.html
Are you guys signing up?
[edit]One thing which it dint mention is that currently only people in US are eligible for this.
Bondings
They aren't interested in Firefox, but in the google toolbar. Please realize that the google toolbar is spyware (just like most other toolbars). It records all the websites/pages you visited and sends that back to google. (or even worse things)
EVILSKAAP
Well i guess it would get a bit tricky if you want to pay us$ to people not living in us. But i think as soon as it is available world wide i would sign up, because alot of people are sick of the standard browser that ships with the OS. So refering them would help me help them help google help distribute firefox! IM GAME!
shabda
Quote:
They aren't interested in Firefox, but in the google toolbar. Please realize that the google toolbar is spyware (just like most other toolbars). It records all the websites/pages you visited and sends that back to google. (or even worse things)

Well I guess you lose some/ you win some. And inspite of being a google baiter myself(http://gogleblogs.blogspot.com/), g. toolbar is indispensible for me. The blogit now, autofill and pr display are great time savers. So I AM game.
Anyway bondings, IMHO you probably have a too stcrict view of what is spyware. I dont thing toolbar collects personally identifiable info. And with a company like google, I think you can expect them not to sell/share info about you or use it for malicious action against you.
[/url]
brilliantbeauty
Well, I sound like such a n00b right now, but what are the benefits of firefox over IE? Other than microsoft is a near monoply and needs to be taken down a notch? And yes, google toolbar is definately spyware, although one of the most trusted ones.
shabda
Tabbed Browsing(open many sites in one window), Better protection against spyware, Better standards support for w3 reccomendations.
whoa
shabda wrote:
Tabbed Browsing(open many sites in one window), Better protection against spyware, Better standards support for w3 reccomendations.

Well said FF is definetly better then IE it also has a built in Pop-up blocker, RSS feeds, Its faster, Comes with an inbuilt download manager.

>http://www.getfirefox.com< U wont regret it
[/url]
ronjacob
Google is playing dirty tricks like Microsoft now!!!!!!
sunrise
It's obviously for Google's own benefit. Firefox is stooping down to MS's level, these are the times when I'm glad I use Opera, though I do use FF sometimes.
biga57
I'd like to try Firefox but I am afraid it might have some interference with other Microsoft programs and when using it , troubles may appear.

Anyone out there has ever experienced problems using Firefox in a Windows OS ??
AG007
Haha Firefox, yeah. I am not liking how IE is running right now but I use an AOL IE version and an SBC-Yahoo IE version and those run great. I think IE is better than Firefox just because more people use it. Now I have trouble with my new website, firefox doesn't rendered my site as I would like as, and now I have to mess around my code to make as seen in IE. But what can I say.
52tease
No problems with firefox and windows. Right now is a great time to try it as they just released the 1.5 version and it works even better than 1.07.

Check it out. You will thank yourself later.
shabda
Quote:

Never. FF is more stable than IE on any platform, windows included.
Quote:
Google is playing dirty tricks like Microsoft now!!!!!!

Yeah google run by the suits now. So you can expect all these tricks.
Quote:
firefox doesn't rendered my site as I would like

Is your site standards compliant? Does it pass w3 verification test. Is your css valid? Then firefox wont mess it up.
n0obie4life
shabda wrote:
Quote:

Never. FF is more stable than IE on any platform, windows included.

No Sad.

Firefox 1.0.7, no problem (i think there was, but i forgot). I upgraded to 1.5 yesterday, it disabled almost half of my extensions I installed. Problem 1.

Then I closed firefox, it auto-rebooted my PC. I came up with 2 theories that Bondings knows.

1. Mozilla's Problem.
2. Microsoft's Problem.

1. Mozilla said : ZOMG, YOU USED ME FOR LESSER THAN 5 MINUTES AND JOO CLOSED MEHH? I NID TO TAKE REVENGE.
2. Microsoft said : What. You used Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer? DIEEEEEEEEEEEE.

So anyway, it rebooted and I opened Firefox again. I went to the search bar, OMFG, DICTIONARY.COM's GONE Sad

So, I went to http://addons.mozilla.org , clicked on the search engines. OMG, NO DICTIONARY.com, I installed the alternative and wikipedia. Then I checked my search bar.

OMG, Dictionary showed, but WIKIPEDIA didn't. It showed a blank row instead!!!!!

Then, I went on a hunt for the wikipedia.src (that's what the search stuff is coded in) file, I opened it. And guess what the file contained, a mySQL error Very Happy (not enough permission or something like that). I recoded it myself with some help from Bondings. Then I made 2 .src files myself to make my and the other admins life on frihost easier.

Yay. So I'm almost done. I click on "search wikipedia" now (it's working, remember? i repaired it myself). Then what? Firefox hung for a while, then MSN got logged off Smile. Yay, an additional hook from Mozilla to MSN Messenger Very Happy, search using the search bar open with mozilla and we'll crash MSN Messenger.

So far, nothing else happened.

No and it's true, you can ask Bondings.
shabda
Read your pm noobie.

Aye aye boss.
Am still using 1.07. On windows right now. Never had a headache till now. Well I just only installed goog toolbar. Nothing fancy.
I think Ill try FF 1.5. Just to see wat happens.
But any way noobie, FF comes with a lot of testing behind it. 1.5 is a stable release. So its very rare for it to behave like this. Why dont you post a bug report at mozzila bugzilla?
n0obie4life
I bet Windows comes with more testing.

Anyway, where's bugzilla? Do I need to sign up for an account?
shabda
Quote:
I bet Windows comes with more testing.

No Ill bet it doesnot. And Ill tell you why. Open source is tested by millions of people. Like you found a bug. You can submit it, and if this is a bug in ff, Ill bet it will be fixed in 2 days. But most probably you will find that it is a very one off bug due to some stupidity of windows.
Quote:
Anyway, where's bugzilla? Do I need to sign up for an account?

I think you need to sign up. Standard practise. I have never submitted myself. Try http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/bugs.
n0obie4life
What. Sign-up.

Never mind. I'm too lazy to signup.

And I need to go through 4 stages. I'm too lazy. Let's leave it. Someone else will report it.
shabda
Quote:
Someone else will report it.

Ok.
Bondings
shabda wrote:
Quote:

Well I guess you lose some/ you win some. And inspite of being a google baiter myself(http://gogleblogs.blogspot.com/), g. toolbar is indispensible for me. The blogit now, autofill and pr display are great time savers. So I AM game.
Anyway bondings, IMHO you probably have a too stcrict view of what is spyware. I dont thing toolbar collects personally identifiable info. And with a company like google, I think you can expect them not to sell/share info about you or use it for malicious action against you.

I never said that it will share info with less-trustful companies or even use it for malicious actions.

But it records your ip, all the websites/pages you visit, how long you visit them, which google searches you do, where you click on. This together with your mail data and adsense/adwords from your websites. I really wouldn't trust them with all that information. They probably even collect more information about you.

By the way, there is an ff extension for the pr.
biga57
[quote="Bondings"]...........
But it records your ip, all the websites/pages you visit, how long you visit them, which google searches you do, where you click on. This together with your mail data and adsense/adwords from your websites. I really wouldn't trust them with all that information. They probably even collect more information about you.
[quote]

If this is true, and I am prone to think it is, I'd rather stay with my old IE. Not that IE will be much safer, but at least I know the devil I am dealing with at the moment....
shabda
Quote:
If this is true, and I am prone to think it is, I'd rather stay with my old IE.

FF does not collect this info, google toolbar does. So if you are so uncomfortable with it use FF only.
Bondings
I put one of those affilate banners on the index page. For people who are really concerned about their privacey, don't install the google toolbar. Firefox, doesn't harm, of course.

To be honest, I have a google toolbar installed on my IE. But I do know that they collect information from it and also rarely use IE.
SNES350
shabda wrote:

Is your site standards compliant? Does it pass w3 verification test. Is your css valid? Then firefox wont mess it up.

Actually the Acid2 test, while not endorsed by any official group, tests the rendering of web browsers with ONLY W3C verified code, and Firefox DOES NOT display it correctly.

The test: http://www.webstandards.org/act/acid2/test.html#top

It validates

I agree that Firefox is great (hey I've been using it as my primary browser since it was version 0.7) but it isn't perfect. There isn't a browser available that actually passes the Acid2 test 100%. Opera comes very, very close compared to Firefox but still obviously not 100%.
shabda
Quote:
Opera comes very, very close compared to Firefox but still obviously not 100%.

Opera costs money, doesn't it? Oh ill stick with one which is free. Not that I think opera is better,(How can I know, never used opera).
Bondings
shabda wrote:
Quote:
Opera comes very, very close compared to Firefox but still obviously not 100%.

Opera costs money, doesn't it? Oh ill stick with one which is free. Not that I think opera is better,(How can I know, never used opera).

Opera is now completely free. Until a few weeks ago, the free version had ads, but they are gone now. Wink
shabda
Quote:
Opera is now completely free. Until a few weeks ago, the free version had ads, but they are gone now.

Seems like Ill have to try it. Thanks for the info.
soilgrain
Google is the devil.
m0rph1n3
I love FF, I use the tabs function quite a bit. i heard that FF is more secure. is that true?
nextgen
I was totally unaware there was another browser besides firefox.
I have used some other programs that called themselves a browser, but I found the caparison ridiculous.
I find it interesting that Goggle wants to see every one using a real browser.
Unless those other things are sucking to much bandwidth on there servers.
Anyway "Goggle right on ".
shabda
Quote:
Google is the devil.

Yeah but a devil you cant live without.
Quote:
I love FF, I use the tabs function quite a bit. i heard that FF is more secure. is that true?

Inspit of what noobie has to say on this, trust me. Its way too secure.
n0obie4life
What. I didn't say it wasn't secure. I was just complaining of the weird bugs I had "achived" by installing firefox 1.5.

Norton said it has more bugs than IE. But IE's are more critical than Firefox.
silli
Of corse googles supporting Firefox because there are Google things in Firefox. I still think it's great if they can make people stop using IE. And in my opinion: Google good, Microsoft bad Razz
LumberJack
Love Firefox, ever since I downloaded it. Hate IE explorer. It is very hard to find a program that does not have bugs now-a-days.

The partnership is critical because of the Microsoft monopoly on webbrowsers.
mcduck2002
Bondings wrote:

Well, as far as I know Google Toolbar IS NOT spyware. It does not analyze you personal file or send your credit card code etc. once you try to install Google Toolbar you have the ability to add some advanced feature for you toolbar. that extra features are clearly stated AS NOT SPYWARE. all these features do, is analyzing what web site you got into (you might say, like many other spaywares) in order to enhance your search abilities. but no other party get your information (at all) or any information about your search habits. its more like the adsense feature. if you have a site, you probably like the adsense feature (it makes you money), but you realy don't mind how realy well focused ads has found their way to your site. it is done automatically by the Google (and they don't mind also) search engine. the same rule is for the Google Toolbar, it helps you a lot whilest there in no private information leak from your computer.
and if you do worry about any private information leak (what so ever) then you don't have to use the advanced features, because google states very clearly that you can install the toolbar without them.
mengshi200
good,google actually is leader of internet.
Herbz3
We need more types of programs like this... especially from competitors.
The adsense program makes very much sense to me... might sign up for it right now.... Very Happy
lineagetoday
wow really cool.. i wuz going to install the googletoolbar untill someone said it wuz spyware!! thx a bunch.

I really don't think it's worth it to download googlbar since like eveyrone we all hate spyware...
noexes89
I can't leave firefox now I've created what might just be the greatist interface for a webbrowser ever thanks to the Menu X extention. Goodbye menu bar! I don't miss you at all!
cnnet
really pays very well
1$
Dragonfly
mcduck2002 wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Well, as far as I know Google Toolbar IS NOT spyware. It does not analyze you personal file or send your credit card code etc. once you try to install Google Toolbar you have the ability to add some advanced feature for you toolbar. that extra features are clearly stated AS NOT SPYWARE. all these features do, is analyzing what web site you got into (you might say, like many other spaywares) in order to enhance your search abilities. but no other party get your information (at all) or any information about your search habits. its more like the adsense feature. if you have a site, you probably like the adsense feature (it makes you money), but you realy don't mind how realy well focused ads has found their way to your site. it is done automatically by the Google (and they don't mind also) search engine. the same rule is for the Google Toolbar, it helps you a lot whilest there in no private information leak from your computer.
and if you do worry about any private information leak (what so ever) then you don't have to use the advanced features, because google states very clearly that you can install the toolbar without them.

That's not true, what Bonding says is also true to some extend. Try to use google Pagerank, meaning try to ENABLE it from your Google toolbar it says what you view and others will be sent to Google. This is nothing but Spyware. So I usually don't ENABLE pagerank part of the toolbar.

It says they will pay upto $1 (US) but for some due to some reasons it doesn't produce $1 per one download. Sometimes it is only 0.25 cent. Therefore, it is less than or equal to, but not exactly equal to $1.
Devil
FF is a very good browser , but i think the topic was about google paying $1 for refferal , which is bullshit ,

u have to read the google rules properly , it says upto $1 not $1 for everydownload ,

it may vary from country to country ,

Plus if anyone saw the recent interveiw billgates gave to ndtv , and they asked him about google ,

bill said , google is only hit by advertisement , and it doesnt pay even half the money it earns from the webmasters contents ,(which is True )

he also said if MS$ opens a advertising thing , he would pay good amount to the webmasters , Razz
babumuchhala
I heard that bit on NDTV.

I am really looking forward to such services if they might arrive in future.

Currently looking forward to Yahoo!s targgeted ads. Hope they pay out at say $50 and have a better sharing arrangement Smile
jveezy
Yes. You're gonna have issues with extensions when you update to 1.5

That's only natural. If the extensions are designed to work with 1.0, they might not work with 1.5 just like some old games designed for Windows 95 may not work on XP. That's just a part of software development. You'll probably have to go download new versions of all your extensions, but I think 1.5's new update service is definitely worth it.
steveadams617
The "control T" to open up a new BLANK webbrowser tab with the cursor already in the address box alone is worth the free price of changing to Firefox. (As opposed to control N, control D and having to wait for an identical page to re-load another copy in IE)

Then all the fun extensions that people are writing like StumbleUpon make it not just a lateral move from browser to browser, but whole new functionalities. StumbleUpon is amazing...
igor123d
I am happy at this display of solidarity from google. I doubt that this move stemms from profound altruistic intentions, but rather from the fact that both google and Firefox have Microsoft as one of their greatest enemies. In any case I am always happy when Ms is challenged in any form.
Mrs Lycos
I swithced to FF and couldn't have been better. God how I hate IE, and I had tried Opera and Netscape before, but i stick to FF. And no problems with installation, I got DeerPark Alpha 2 and I never had any problems. So yes, I Would install the referral, even if they didn't pay a thing.
supalightnin
I still dont understand. Why would google pay people to go to firefox when gooogle has google chrome? It doesnt make any sense and I am really confused. Please reply back as soon as possible and thank you everyone for your time.
loremar
supalightnin wrote:
I still dont understand. Why would google pay people to go to firefox when gooogle has google chrome? It doesnt make any sense and I am really confused. Please reply back as soon as possible and thank you everyone for your time.

Because this thread was on 2005. That time there was still no Google Chrome. I think your lost buddy.