FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Christmas Traditions

SharKay
Do you have a special Christmas Tradition that you want to always hold onto and maybe pass it along to your family.

As my children were growing up we had a special tradition that we did when it came time to trim the tree. We would put on our favorite music album...make hot coco...and have a great time decorating the tree and the home.

Here is a little story I'd like to share.

Cherished Family Traditions

We had just picked up our Christmas tree and were driving home when Mark, our 3-year-old, asked, "Where are the little things with the holes that you eat?"
I exchanged a quizzical glance with my wife, Dale. Then she remembered that the previous Christmas we had bought doughnuts at the same time we picked up our tree. We were astonished that he could remember such a seemingly insignificant event.

But from the perspective of a 2-year-old, having someone give you a donut is a really big deal. It makes an impression. So we turned the car around and picked up a dozen assorted doughnuts and have since feasted on doughnuts every year while we decorate our tree.

Routines and traditions are extremely important to children, particularly when they are younger. From the earliest days you, the parent, are establishing patterns that will provide an important sense of order and predictability for your children. The scary thing is that you have to do something only once for it to become firmly established in your child's mind as a tradition rivaling the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Memories are more important than you think. Memories are part of the past that becomes the future. Make good memories this year at the Christmas Season. Start a tradition that your children can hold onto.

Share your family tradition with us.
eday2010
Me, I need an Advent calendar every year. Every since I was little, I would have one, and open a door on it everyday in December until Christmas Eve, and have the chocolate. I am 27, but still get one. I already bought one and am eager to start it this year. Last year I didn't open all the doors like I normally would, but I wasn't much into Christmas last year. But this year I am looking forward to it. Christmas shopping, Christmas food, Christmas presents...Yay! I also eat too much at Christmas. I plan on keeping with that tradition. And Christmas music. Next year I will start decorating again. I want a real tree. It will be my first Christmas with my soon-to-be wife and yet unborn baby. I'll need at least 4000 lights Wink
icedGEEK
eday2010 wrote:
Me, I need an Advent calendar every year. Every since I was little, I would have one, and open a door on it everyday in December until Christmas Eve, and have the chocolate. I am 27, but still get one. I already bought one and am eager to start it this year. Last year I didn't open all the doors like I normally would, but I wasn't much into Christmas last year. But this year I am looking forward to it. Christmas shopping, Christmas food, Christmas presents...Yay! I also eat too much at Christmas. I plan on keeping with that tradition. And Christmas music. Next year I will start decorating again. I want a real tree. It will be my first Christmas with my soon-to-be wife and yet unborn baby. I'll need at least 4000 lights Wink

I tend to eat them all in the first day.
We all have to be there for setting up the decorations ; and we all stay up till midnight and open our presents ; its just a thing we do ^_^
Pawz4Thought
icedGEEK wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

I tend to eat them all in the first day.
We all have to be there for setting up the decorations ; and we all stay up till midnight and open our presents ; its just a thing we do ^_^

I generally forget to eat mine, then I have loadds to eat closer to Christmas...

We like to wake up and open stocking presents before we actually get up and get dressed and so on. It's great, because it's one of the few moments we get together as a family during the Christmas holidays. We generally have my nan over, but she's not normally awake at the time my sister gets us all up, so just the four of us crowd round my bed (I'm the one that NEVER gets up, so everyone comes to me Wink ) to open our presents.

We also have a little tree by our dining table, and every guest gets a small present hidden on the tree, amongst the crackers. It's a little family tradition of ours that you have to find your present after Christmas Dinner, and it's hilarious seeing the grandparents getting frustrated because everyone else has opened theirs, and they still can't find them!
SharKay
Quote:
I'll need at least 4000 lights

I like that...4000 lights. I always wanted to decorate the whole outside of our home, but have not yet done that.
My favorite Christmas movie is Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. I also like Home Alone...

In our area we many people search out someone who has very little or maybe have no family and share their Christmas with them...that is such a rewarding feeling.
estoesmucho
In south america have a good tradition.
They cook a very large type of food, local and international, they have some good reason to do it...
Delirium
Christmas suddenly was back into something special with the birth of my son. The tradition I really want to keep going with him is the cookie and milk for Santa Claus. We make the cookie together (he is 4 years old) and decorate it. It's gingerbread and the cookies look like little men and women.

The advent chocolate calendar tradition is still going! Had mine each december as a kid and now it's passed down! The look on his face when he realized that each little windows was hiding a piece of chocolate was just too precious.

Besides that nothing really special. I guess that unfortunatly many traditions, like the feast at grandma's house with the uncles playing the violin and the dancing is all gone with the deceased Crying or Very sad