FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you enjoy solving problems(puzzle)?

EVILSKAAP
(SEND + MORE = MONEY) This puzzle was a minimum requirement to apply for an IT software Consulting job. It works like this:
Quote:
Each letter has a unique numerical value from 0 - 9. Solve for each letter so that the sum is at maximum
I have not yet solved it, and no im not applying for the job, i do not have a BSc. Eng. Degree! NJOY
sibbahz
Bit of a stupid way of deciding if someone is up for the job
RA
um thats pretty stupid isn't it? Just assign the largest number to the letter with the most occurrances, and go from there.
eday2010
I got an answer of 81.

E is worth 9 (9x3) = 27
M is worth 8 (8x2) = 16
O is worth 7 (7x2) = 14
N is worth 6 (6x2) = 12
S is worth 5 (5x1) = 5
D is worth 4 (4x1) = 4
Y is worth 3 (3x1) = 3

Now I can be an consultant Razz
RA
I'm thinking that the total of the first two word numbers have to add up to be equal to the third word number. Otherwise it would be simple enough for a child to do.

Code:
SEND + MORE = MONEY
5964 + 8729 = 87693

As you can see, 5,964 + 8,729 is not 87,693; but you get the idea.
supersonic
EVILSKAAP wrote:
(SEND + MORE = MONEY) This puzzle was a minimum requirement to apply for an IT software Consulting job. It works like this:
Quote:
Each letter has a unique numerical value from 0 - 9. Solve for each letter so that the sum is at maximum
I have not yet solved it, and no im not applying for the job, i do not have a BSc. Eng. Degree! NJOY

That was easy i finished that a while ago. It was a problem of the month in school. Really easy. I don't want to tell you because it would really ruin the fun of seing people guess really far off, when their supposed to be solving it logicly.
EVILSKAAP
sibbahz wrote:
Bit of a stupid way of deciding if someone is up for the job
Did you solve it? Anyway they want people that have analytical thinking proseses to solve software related problems in the development stages! So if you could do this it would you could send in your cv and be put on a shortlist of succesful canidates that do have the requirements. One of which is having a BSc. Eng. degree.
VIPER VENOM
I think i got it solved. never seen anything like that before.
RA
I could write a computer program to solve this easily, but it would take a long time to solve it by hand (unless you are just lucky). The only thing I know for certain is that the M letter has to be a 0 or a 1. Also, if M is 1, then S must be an 8 or 9.
Lloydie_gb
Well iv been looking at this all day and im still no closer to doing it.

I geuss that i cant be a IT software Consultent!

Oh well back to the day job!! Crying or Very sad
narc
It's funny that no one posts the answer even when they say they solved it. Is this an unspoken forum rule?

WARNING - ANSWER BELOW!

WARNING - ANSWER BELOW!

WARNING - ANSWER BELOW!

O = 0, M = 1, Y = 2, E = 5, N = 6, D = 7, R = 8, S = 9
ocalhoun
Now, make a computer algorithim that can figure it out!
(that's the fun part)
I'm working on it in C++
EVILSKAAP
ocalhoun wrote:
Now, make a computer algorithim that can figure it out!
(that's the fun part)
I'm working on it in C++
WOW you are a resourceful person! Anyway as soon as you have that program sorted put it up on your site or another site if you wish and leave the link here so that we can download it and admire your handy work. If you wish, otherwise just tell us how it works and how long it took to code. NJOY
satheesh
Hi,
Puzzles always puzzle me. How about you???

If you are interested in puzzles, then why not solve this one..........
A man is lying dead on the center of a field with an unopened packet lying in front of him. The packet has caused his death. What has happened and how was the packet to be blamed for his death.

Solve it if you like and more will be posted on my site as soon as it is setup...........

Note : If you like it please donate
lucasaides
wow you are so good whit this
theo
RA wrote:
I'm thinking that the total of the first two word numbers have to add up to be equal to the third word number. Otherwise it would be simple enough for a child to do.

Code:
SEND + MORE = MONEY
5964 + 8729 = 87693

As you can see, 5,964 + 8,729 is not 87,693; but you get the idea.

i think you're right...
i'll keep trying
Davidgr1200
The magazine New Scientist has problems like this every week.... except they are harder!!
Kestrel
satheesh wrote:
Hi,
Puzzles always puzzle me. How about you???

If you are interested in puzzles, then why not solve this one..........
A man is lying dead on the center of a field with an unopened packet lying in front of him. The packet has caused his death. What has happened and how was the packet to be blamed for his death.

Solve it if you like and more will be posted on my site as soon as it is setup...........

Note : If you like it please donate

Well this is OBVIOUS. The man was flying in a plane and the packet grew legs and arms and pushed the man out of the plane without a parachute. The packet then jumped down after the man. ^^

To all who don't already know, I was joking...
jawker
quite interesting. i'll try it myself though i don't really get the problem that well hehehe. anyways, thanks for the puzzles keep posting because i like solving puzzles very much. it makes my little brain work hehehe..
hoonger
narc wrote:
It's funny that no one posts the answer even when they say they solved it. Is this an unspoken forum rule?

Spent 5 mins and got the same answers as yours.
It's not too difficult.

Just try this.
SEND
+ MORE
---------
MONEY

You will know that M must be 1.
And O must be 0(zero) because S+M=O =>S+1=O, so O must be 0..
You can get the others in the same way..
driver
personally its sound a little stupid to be giving their applicants this lol.
cnnet
my english is poor
but if you write it in Chinese
I'd be glad to solve the problem
windval
i do not hear about it before

what is it
chico-lama
hoonger wrote:

I spent a half hour solving it. unfortunatly I did not get the right answer :

m=1, S=8, O=0, E=5, N=6, R=9, D=2, Y=7 (althoug the sum is right, it gives not the max sum)

Your answer is a bit better, congratulations!
satheesh
Hi,
Here is another puzzle:

There are two bottles filled to same level, one full of oil, the other full of vinegar. take a spoonful of oil, put it into the vinegar bottle and stir. Then take a spoonful of the original of the resultant mixture and put it back in the oil bottle. Will there be more oil in the original vinegar bottle or more vinegar in the original oil bottle.
Note : If you like the puzzle, please donate some FRIH$
Regards,
Satheesh
satheesh
Hi,

This is one of those beautiful puzzles you can come across......

The chief of an African tribe wanted to have more boys in the tribe than girls because he needed them as warriors. He therefore issued instructions that each family could carry on having children as long as the children were boys, but as soon as the family had a girl they had to stop having any more children.
That way he would end up with families with just one girl, some with a boy and a girl, some with two boys and a girl, some three boys and a girl, some four boys and a girl, etc. He would end up with an average of more boys. Did it work in the long run?. Is it a yes or a no........ Note : If you like the puzzle, please donate some FRIH$ to the author and thats me.
chico-lama
satheesh wrote:
Hi,
Here is another puzzle:

There are two bottles filled to same level, one full of oil, the other full of vinegar. take a spoonful of oil, put it into the vinegar bottle and stir. Then take a spoonful of the original of the resultant mixture and put it back in the oil bottle. Will there be more oil in the original vinegar bottle or more vinegar in the original oil bottle.

If I understand this puzzle correctly, I would say that this one is easy.
portray that 1 spoon is exactly 1/10 of the full bottle.

Code:

oil bottle                    vinegar bottle
You start with:           oil     10/10                          0/10
                         vin.     0/10                           10/10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one spoon to vin.:      oil      9/10                          1/10
                         vin.    0/10                             10/10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
one spoon back :         oil      9/10+0.090909*1/10=0.909091     0.090909

vin     0.0909091*10/10=0.090909          0.909091 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, exactly the same! (correct me if I have made some mistakes)
tinkles
I dont get this... I've read the posts... but I dont get it.
Metaguy
Thats gotta be the stupidest thing if every heard... if that decides a job, I'd have it... Like seriously whats the point if someone can just go on the internet (Hey look, I'm on it too Very Happy ) and look up the answer!?
tinkles
Metaguy wrote:
Thats gotta be the stupidest thing if every heard... if that decides a job, I'd have it... Like seriously whats the point if someone can just go on the internet (Hey look, I'm on it too Very Happy ) and look up the answer!?
I do oh so much agreeeeeeee
RA
Although its kind of cheesy, it isn't the only criteria used, just one of them. Its like you have to be able to multiply 7*10 in your head -- sure its easy, but it does rule out a surprising number of people.