FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where: Non-authenticating SMTP Server

ChunkyBustout
Hello all,

I am looking for an out-going email server, that doesn't require authentication, for my router to send logs to. I don't have an email account anywhere that will do this so if any of you know where I can find one, please tell me!

Thanks!
NuniPio
is there a particular reason why ?
ChunkyBustout
Uh... for my router to send logs to. It doesn't have provisions for authentication.
kv
Install smtp server on your m/c. This way you don't even have dependency on some other service.
ChunkyBustout
kv wrote:
Install smtp server on your m/c. This way you don't even have dependency on some other service.

What's an m/c? I don't run any servers at home and my site is hosted by FriHost.
kv
ChunkyBustout wrote:
kv wrote:

What's an m/c? I don't run any servers at home and my site is hosted by FriHost.

m/c is machine. You can always install a small smtp server on your machine to which the router is connected. It need not be a full smtp server but can be just a forwarding smtp server (proxy) which forwards your smtp requests to other server (frihost) and uses a username/passwd while doing so.
mOrpheuS
kv wrote:
ChunkyBustout wrote:
kv wrote:

m/c is machine. You can always install a small smtp server on your machine to which the router is connected. It need not be a full smtp server but can be just a forwarding smtp server (proxy) which forwards your smtp requests to other server (frihost) and uses a username/passwd while doing so.

Also, don't forget to restrict acces to such an smtp server by IP whitelisting (only allow your router's IP to be able to relay) or firewalling.
Such smtp server installations are what many spammers are always on the lookout for.
ChunkyBustout
Thanks mOrpheuS! I understand now.
toughtrio
you can host an SMTP Mail server on your local machine by using the Microsoft Windows Built In Internet Information Services that can be added by
1) Going to control panel and opening add/remove programs
2) click add/remove windows components.
3) Choose Internet Information Services, expand it and choose everything inside it.
4) It will ask you for your CD when you click next and might take few minutes to complete.
5) As soon as it finishes locate to Administrative Tools and open Internet Information Services where, when opens, you can see the SMTP Server.

Note: This is only available for Win2000 Pro and XP Pro and other Server OS's.

Hope this solves your problem.