FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XANDROS

mike4652
Has anyone had any problems with XANDROS OS?
I installed the free version but kept my xp os also.
It seems like it is harder to set things up using xandros.
Sound is the biggest prob.
Installing software isn't that easy also.
Any help will be welcomed. Laughing
Naif
I havent used the Xandros distro though I still might be able to offer you some help. You'll have to install a driver for your soundcard. Sound and video card problems are common in Linux. You'll have to do some googling to find which drivers you'll need to install for Xandros. Query for something like "your_soundcard drivers for Xandros". Most soundcards are able to function using the ALSA drivers. But before you do this, make sure the drivers(drivers are usually referred to as modules under Linux) are really not installed or loaded. To figure out if whether they are or arent loaded, launch a media player like XMMS(not sure if whether XMMS is shipped with Xandros), try playing a file and see what happens. See if the file plays or if whether you get some error message. If the file plays but you dont hear a sound, you'll have to check the mixer settings. It might be possible the sound is mute.

If the proper modules required for your soundcard arent installed, you'll have to install them manually. But to do so, you'll require some basic to intermediate knowledge of Linux. For example, how to unzip an archive, compile an archive if needed, load a module etc.

Thats all I can say.... and oh, ofcourse.... All the best! Wink
Kestrel
Never heard it. But you might want to take a look at any documentations they have, check forums dedicated to that OS, or contact the makers directly.
mike4652
Thanks for your help Laughing
I will give it a try.
Still not sure if I wan't to get into all this work trying to learn a new OS.
Windows sure has made me lazy
Naif
mike4652 wrote:
Thanks for your help Laughing
I will give it a try.
Still not sure if I wan't to get into all this work trying to learn a new OS.
Windows sure has made me lazy

Learning an advanced OS like Linux will certainly yeild some good fruits for you. I too asked myself the same question when I first introduced myself to Linux. In the end, everything I learnt was worth all the hassle I had to go through Smile
Naif
And your right, Windows does make us lazy