FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone still play StarCraft?

Neo7
I still do. My battle.net account is Neo7777777.

I usually play with the Protoss as they have good power units (i.e Mass Carriers).

My favorite maps are usually micro zero clutter (islands). Small and fierce battles are the way I like it. Usually don't like to face the zerg. They can generate way too many units at once.

Post your status and your favorite race.

Wins: 226
Losses: 162
Disconnects: 8
Lisianthus
no :O and i was good at it but my bro was awesome^^ my fav race is zerg
his status was
wins 900~
losses 200~
Mr_Grey
Yeah, I still play. Its the best strategy game around in my opinion. I dont remember what my wins and losses are (my losses outweighed my wins) but my battlenet screen name is Milenko
mitsuomi
I play it sometimes! I think it is AWESOME!
Playing on East Server Nickname: Yama[MOTO]
Kelcey
My friend plays a lot... he's one of the top players in the US.
photon
tried my hand at it once, but didnt like it too much . anyway as i started very late, there were'nt many players around and had to stop playing
anhstar
I had been playing the game since the start, but now, since most of my friend play Warcraft3 or WOW, I have to follow.

But Starcraft is a good game, a legend. When you talk about godly strategy game, you are refering to Starcraft. When you talk about undieing game, you're talking about Starcraft.
I just wish the people at my workplace like to play games, a game or 2 during lunch time isnt bad!
Hikaru
I actually attended the World Cyber Games Canadian National Finals for Starcraft this year, at Toronto. Brought home a MP3 Player and a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 930BF (4ms baby!) LCD.

I do find the game outdated, I originally hoped to qualify at regionals for WarCraft 3, didn't work out too well.

I'd say on the large scale that games like Age of Empires 3 or Warcraft 3 are probably not as much strategic as Starcraft. I still think Starcraft is the most strategic game, even if it is the oldest in its catagory besides classics.

I have a few accounts, main one with these stats, they don't really matter anymore though.

Radiation@USWest

919 Wins/328 Losses/4 Discconects
6 Wins Ladder, 1 Loss Ladder, Rating 1116 (from a LONG time ago)
ocalhoun
I play as the protoss.
My stratagy: More cannons than you can shake a zerg at.
Nothing beats massive fields full of cannons, supposing you have a carrier or two to hit and run against long range units.
galaxy68
I like it and sometimes still play it!
TeK
I stop at the beginning of this year
indecentexposure
Man, I used to play that game allll the time a few years ago. I got to be pretty good.

We played every single day in one of my computer classes, and then someone burned us all a copy so we could play online at home as well, haha.
Neo7
Hikaru wrote:
I actually attended the World Cyber Games Canadian National Finals for Starcraft this year, at Toronto. Brought home a MP3 Player and a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 930BF (4ms baby!) LCD.

I do find the game outdated, I originally hoped to qualify at regionals for WarCraft 3, didn't work out too well.

I'd say on the large scale that games like Age of Empires 3 or Warcraft 3 are probably not as much strategic as Starcraft. I still think Starcraft is the most strategic game, even if it is the oldest in its catagory besides classics.

I have a few accounts, main one with these stats, they don't really matter anymore though.

Radiation@USWest

919 Wins/328 Losses/4 Discconects
6 Wins Ladder, 1 Loss Ladder, Rating 1116 (from a LONG time ago)

Oh wow! Do you have a replay of that game? I try to study other stradegies and try them out. I'm still perfecting my skills. I'm also curious on how a tournament game went on.
bcnhs81
uhmmm my last starcraft game was about 3 months ago.. well you see my friend has tranfered to canada and we cant play a modem game anymore.. too bad really. but i always play on LAN. with my friends.. Starcraft was the reason why we were punished to clean the CR (7 yrs ago) because we were caught cutting classes and playing in Starcraft on a Net Cafe near our school.. Embarassed
Dean_The_Great
I love Starcraft! I've been playing it since it came out, although I never really got into the internet gaming (mostly due to the fact that the first few years I had the game, I had no internet). I prefer to play as the Terran, using a creeping barrage of goliaths with siege tanks. Move forward, siege mode, goliath clears. Move forward, siege mode, goliaths clear. And so on.

Also, I find that having a cloaked fleet of wraiths ready to go close to home is excellent against all flying death, such as battlecruisers and carriers.

But absolutley you can't mess with Starcraft for being a classic. It's probably one of the only games that is over seven years old and still less for 15 bucks... and it is still worth it.
RavenCross
yeah i still play Starcraft.. as a matter of fact, its still as fun as it was 4 -6 years ago (when i first learned how to gather minerals).. i think the reason for this is that Starcraft has that strict balance in which some of the RTS games failed to implement. Starcraft demands tactics and yes numbers play a large factor but it must be coupled with good tactics.. unlike some RTS in which you just build an army of these units and voila! you dominate the map... Smile
Yjaxygames
I played Starcraft. It was really great.
blackomen12
Of course I play, just look at my Avater. Plus I made this thread.
EDIT: Oh yeah, my account is BlackOmen12[Ex]
ocalhoun
Here's a geat strategy for attacking with the protoss:
(this is assuming you have a lot of resources)
1: build and fully stock 12 carriers
2: Give them shortcut key #1
3: Build and upgrade 2 observers
4: tell your observers to follow the carriers
5: Build 2 arbiters
6: Tell the arbiters to follow the carriers also
7: Select the carriers only
8: rampage!

A fleet of 12 invisible, all-seeing carriers is hard to beat!
(if your enemy is heavily defended, you may want to build extra carriers)
If you don't know how to tell one unit to follow another here's how:
select the following unit(s)
right-click the leading unit

The only thing you have to be carefull about is you can't let anyone destroy your arbiters.
blackomen12
ocalhoun wrote:
Here's a geat strategy for attacking with the protoss:
(this is assuming you have a lot of resources)

Hmmm... that's not hard to do considering so many people play on the Fastest maps now.
GrimReaper77
Don't mean to moan, but Starcraft got old fast after playing against people who knew how to cheat i.e. fighting with flying Terran buildings, hundreds of cannon's etc.

Don't get me wrong though, that game had me hooked for roughly 5 years straight. We still play it at work now and then Smile
Scott
I love Starcraft, I play every now-and-then. It's one of my favorite games of all time. I'm holding a local Starcraft tournament this christmas break. I'm not sure if it will be for money or not yet.
ocalhoun
GrimReaper77 wrote:
Don't mean to moan, but Starcraft got old fast after playing against people who knew how to cheat i.e. fighting with flying Terran buildings, hundreds of cannon's etc.

In that light, what's the difference between cheating and good strategy/ effective tactics?
plounted
i play every once and a while
Sparky666
I love the game...
Favorite race: Protoss
U guys!!! The protoss' carriers are the weakest air units... The protoss are strong on the ground (Dark Templar, zealot, reaver, dragoon, high templar) the air units are very weak...
The best strategy is making a 2 groups of fully upgraded zealots, followed by a group of dragoons, and a half group of reavers... That combination is destruction.
Dragoons -> Air
Reavers -> more units in one place (reaver has good splash damage)
Zealots -> buildings,individual units

It is also important, to follow all the units with 1-2 observers
ocalhoun
That's a good strategy, why not throw in a few dark templar just to keep your enemy busy trying to see the invisible units.

Remember my carrier strategy from erlier? I send a small, but adequate ground force first (usualy stolen from my defence)
This draws the enemie's defenses away, so my carriers can strike in suprise.
(the basic strength of carriers is that any units that automaticly target them will attack the interceptors)
This is a devestating strategy. You have to use tactics as well as neat tricks!
Paul Knight
I used to Play single player. This was a cracking game, but I never got around to playing it online as I was 56 K modem when it first came out.

is the MP community still quite active then? I'd be surprised if it's lasted this long tbh.
GrimReaper77
ocalhoun wrote:
In that light, what's the difference between cheating and good strategy/ effective tactics?

Effective tactics are those that you can fight against my friend. Be totally destroyed one day, go home and think up a great defense, and then return the favor when the guy tries it again Very Happy

Cheating is when you see 3 terran academy's flying towards the entrance of your base, and your defense (turrets, cannons, colonies) go wild taking them out. Giving the enemy units behind plenty of time to clean you out. And it's impossible to target the enemy units hiding under a flying building. Ridiculous!

Lol, glad I got that out Smile
ocalhoun
Defeat the terran buildings strategy:
Protoss: Stasis field or psionic storm or corsair next to the building.
Zerg: lurkers should decimate the advancing units
Terran: BattleCruiser Yamato gun the building
GrimReaper77
ocalhoun wrote:
Defeat the terran buildings strategy:
Protoss: Stasis field or psionic storm or corsair next to the building.
Zerg: lurkers should decimate the advancing units
Terran: BattleCruiser Yamato gun the building

I really don't mean to flame, but the terran building strat when done by a pro can take place in the 1st 5 minutes of a game. Less on a money map. All it takes is 3/4 buildings, 12 marines and a handful of siege tanks. Not enough time to advance up the tech tree to get any of those upgades (statis field/psionic storm/lurker aspect/yamato).

Only effective remedy is firebats. They'll ignore the buildings in the air, and go straight for the ground units. Still difficult to pull off against siege tanks and marines/goliaths behind them.

To sum up - a seasoned player won't use this strat late in the game when you'd have plenty of units to move around. It's quite effective early on.

Last time it happened to me, I had 24 zealots, was flying up the tech tree, and got trounced by 6 siege tanks and a handful of goliaths all with no upgrades. Very depressing. That strategy was used to clean out myself & 1 other guy on the map. He helped finished off the other 2 on my team with the battlecruisers fleet he was quietly building.
amusic
I used to play this game with my friends on LAN. Really have fun with them. Very Happy ......However, it's been a long time. I'm not playing it now. Wink
5C1
i stop it many years ago~! after have warcraft..LOL~~!!
Mrs Lycos
Hey, starcraft still rulez! And I like it better than Warcraft. By the way, any girls playing it? I think I'll start a new thread about it.
memno
bump! oops, bought this (StarCraft I) because it was cheap:
any stragglers online these days with multiplayer?

EDIT: just logged online with game, and no servers are available anymore.
lightningleo
I think like this too..
why play starcraft when got fantastic multiplayer games like assassin's creed revelations.., Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.., and other top level games.. i think Dawn of War Soulstorm is better than Starcraft.. Crysis 2 is also great in multiplayer...

and.. Ubisoft is also going to launch Assassin's Creed III in October 31st.. then why play Starcraft.. But still... I know many will disagree...
memno
why? laptop w/ limited specs. The single-player is still fun.
Warhammer likely exceeds my computing limitations. (and I know SC2 does)
Maybe a local nerd LAN party is the way to go. But I've been looking for ps1
Command and Conquer LAN players for just as long as this has been out, poor me.
Anyone still playing StarCraft 2? or have these guys moved on to Diablo III? maybe
time for 'puter upgrade.

And shame on Blizzard for still selling a game with no internet support.
lightningleo
memno wrote:
why? laptop w/ limited specs. The single-player is still fun.
Warhammer likely exceeds my computing limitations. (and I know SC2 does)
Maybe a local nerd LAN party is the way to go. But I've been looking for ps1
Command and Conquer LAN players for just as long as this has been out, poor me.
Anyone still playing StarCraft 2? or have these guys moved on to Diablo III? maybe
time for 'puter upgrade.

And shame on Blizzard for still selling a game with no internet support.

but i think WarHammer's Dawn of Soulstorm will run any computer.. {unless you don't have a mouse}..
it don't need graphics card.. I played it on my Intel Desktop Board.. when I was at 5th Standard.. it was cool... i haven't played it sine my 8th Sandard but I still think its better than StarCraft...

check out the requirements:::--

WarHammer 40K Dawn of Soulstorm
memno
And SC is still available online, had to get patch is all. serious savages await for feasting on noob flesh. give me 20 hours practice on the crapload of levels They made me dowload first, before I actually win a game. NOTHING like what I saw on youtube, you volatile buggers, you.
Gregoric
Obviously! There are still tons of people enjoying the game, not only Korean Smile. The StarCraft is on my drive for over 5 years and it will probably stay with me as long as the PC will be used.

I only play some UMS nowadays, like DotX or Tower Defence maps. Ehh, classic n' brilliant.

As for the sequel, only played the beta , that was really no-life time for me. Luckily, beta ended Smile.

Awaiting some SC remake for mobile phones, will surely check it out.
sameerseo
No i still play Mario.
karatelj
Neo7 wrote:
I still do. My battle.net account is Neo7777777.

I usually play with the Protoss as they have good power units (i.e Mass Carriers).

My favorite maps are usually micro zero clutter (islands). Small and fierce battles are the way I like it. Usually don't like to face the zerg. They can generate way too many units at once.

Post your status and your favorite race.

Wins: 226
Losses: 162
Disconnects: 8

miene is george