FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

need some advice on designing my site

barrie
the url is www.barrie.frih.net .
right now my site design is pretty plain, so i would like to improve it. I'm not very experienced at designing webpages, before i was into programming in c and cryptography.

Any advice is welcome, but i don't want the design to be overcomplicated, i just want a simple design that is at the same time nice to look at and user-friendly.
CrimsonStrange
Y'know... sometimes plain & simple makes the boldest statement. Wink

If your site is primarily intended to instruct the visitor; if you're introducing a lot of information to your readers, then it's actually [u]better[/b] to help your visitors concentrate more on the content of your site, rather than the style of your site.

A lot of images or flashy color & design schemes would distract your potential viewers.

I think it's pretty slick just the way it is, barrie.
Arcath
A banner would look good, but as CrimsonStrange Siad to much cn distract ppl
VIPER VENOM
i have only made and helped with a few website and templates but most of my ideas come from looking at other sites like what i am producing. and sometimes you can roght click on the main page and click view source and see how things are wrote and what codes they used to do what. i dont know if this is legal or a good ieda. but is what i usually do anyways.
eday2010
Adding a background colour might make it look nicer. Nothing superbold, like red or blue, but something subtle would work. Very pale green or orange or blue, so that it's still mostly white, but it has a hint of colour in it. Maybe even a gradient from left-to-right from a pale colour to white would be nice too.
e-core
Perhaps you could try adding some images, you could try finding some free photos at imagestock. But beware of using images that are not free for use.
ocalhoun
It could use some more content: your site will never be popular or even very usefull just by looking good.
Dark_Jedi06
I don't think there is anything wrong with it...simplicity is sometimes the key, and in your case I think it works well.

So if my opinion matters, I wouldn't really change anything at all. Wink
Squeeky
CrimsonStrange wrote:
Y'know... sometimes plain & simple makes the boldest statement. Wink

If your site is primarily intended to instruct the visitor; if you're introducing a lot of information to your readers, then it's actually [u]better[/b] to help your visitors concentrate more on the content of your site, rather than the style of your site.

A lot of images or flashy color & design schemes would distract your potential viewers.

I think it's pretty slick just the way it is, barrie.

I agree with everything CrimsonStrange said. I think if you added a logo it would fill it up and make it great!

You content is awsome to. Cool
whoa
I think the Simple design looks real sleak and professional. I wouldnt add abackground color unless it was really pale, cause white is perfectly fine (Thats why big sites like Google and Microsoft have so much white on there ites)

However I would maybe change the top image so that the line under the barrie.frih.net was directly under it because it looks lopsided right now.
Silverman
Luckily you have chosen for another font, not like Times New Roman that is very crowded...
If you can design with programs like Photoshop you are alot farther...
IF using a background, don't make it to striking... Use a background with a low opacity..
In such a way that you still see the background but not to striking.. !!

For the visual seeing of your website, i should use tabels...
It can be very easily made with Frontpage...
Make those tabels not see able ... cause you can use the tabels to lock images to a right place...
Like this >> http://www.geocities.com/surisculp/Home.html ..
The corners are round images...

And maybe a nice menu with buttons...

I wish you luck with your website Wink !
TheNEC
Yeah barry, The only thing that your site needs is a flashy template thats quite bold, but still easy to look at. You just have to look at it as if you are a visitor at your site. What would you like to see? If you dont mind the way your site looks, and see no room for improvement, then just ask someone who you dont know, they will give you the most honest opinion.
lazaruz
Maby some soft colors would brighten it up a bit, but I like it as it is, simple is good.
barrie
Squeeky wrote:
I think if you added a logo it would fill it up and make it great!

Yeah, i already thought about that but i'm not a very good graphical designer guy.

Squeeky wrote:
You content is awsome to. Cool

Thanks! I will put a lot more on the site about cryptography and programming and how to combine both but as said on the site, i am having exams soon so you may have to wait a while. I am also writing a forum from scratch, without even using MySQL, so that will also take a while. I'm hoping to have a "post a comment"-system ready near New Years' Day. The rest will follow...
hcjgh
it really looks bad but it doesnt need much to look really good! simple page is the best page if it looks good:) add some color and maybe a picture or two and it will look much better
Squeeky
hcjgh wrote:
it really looks bad but it doesnt need much to look really good! simple page is the best page if it looks good:) add some color and maybe a picture or two and it will look much better

Why do you think it looks bad????? Its a nice clean design and if he crowds it up with pictures THEN it will look bad!
boocherry
I like the clean look very much. Some basic shapes or a logo would add to the design, because right now it is all text. I like to decide on aa color shceme using 3 or 4 colors.