FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SMTP problem

jasperlevink
Hello Folks

I'm working on a php script on a dedicated server (which means I've got to get the smtp server running myself). De server runs Plesk 7.5.

The problem is: I try to send a mail with the PHP function mail(). I don't get any errors but the mails never arrive. The script seems correct because it does work on other servers.

I don't really have a lot of experience in configuring a server. So I hope you can help me. De settings are:

phpinfo() returns:

sendmail_from: me@localhost.com
sendmail_path: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
serialize_precision: 100
short_open_tag: On
SMTP: localhost

De SMTP-server (de optie mail bij het onderdeel server) is als volgt gedefinieerd:

De SMTP-server is defined as follows (see the option mail under server):

Maximum signlength: not defined
relaying: authorisation required (de option open is not available and the option close is not enough)
for POP3 en SMTP

(I translated these options from dutch)

I've added the ip-adres from the site to the white list.

My questions:
- In the white list you have to give a mask number (besides the IP). How do I get one. (Right now I just used a random number between 1 and 32)
- Autorisation required: How do I authorise myself in a php-script?
- Are any adaptions in the DNS necessary? Right now there is no smtp server defined

I hope u can help me
Greetingz
Jasper Levink
Rhysige
I never got php mail function working because you need to run a full mail server along side it and for that to work properly I think you needed and MX adress or somehting.
In short ive got no idea but am also interested in a solution.
jasperlevink
stupid question I presume, but how do I check wheter a smtp server is installed. And if it's not, how do I install one?
raver
that mask thinggy Smile is probably the network mask. It is ussually 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 or 255.0.0.0, depending on the network class, where class may be A B, C. You get that from your network adiministrator, or in this case the people who set up the dedicated server. To install a smtp server just google Mercury mail (that is what i use) and install it. The official website has everything you need to know i believe.

Hope this helped...if not...oh well...life`s a b***h Smile
kv
jasperlevink wrote:
stupid question I presume, but how do I check wheter a smtp server is installed. And if it's not, how do I install one?

Download a smtp server (lots of them available on net for free) from net and install it. I assume you are running windows. Make sure the default port 25 is open. If you have xp with firewall, it by default blocks port 25.
thnn
You could ask the people you got the server off to help you.

But what os are you using. If it is Linux i recommend Exim or for Windows Mercury.
Naif
jasperlevink wrote:

Easiest method, atleast acc. to me:

telnet youripaddress 25

If you get a connect failed message, then an smpt server isnt running on your server.

By the way, are you using FreeBSD?