FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Memory problem!

squirrelmaster
I have a Win XP Service pack 2 computer, with 2.60 GHz and 248 MB of RAM

Whenever I open up a *.mix file for Microsoft Picture It '99, It opens up and says there is not enough memory.

And when it does open, i edit text, or add a image to the mix, the program locks up!
So i do the ol' CTRL-ALT-DEL. it works, but I also noticed something interesting:

That is another problem,
is it a virus, or is there some option I can toggle???
(the fact that I can't end processes along with tasks)

I know I have enough ram, because I used to be able to do it (but then again they were smaller images) , and it's an old program so it doesn't require much(i think).

Any help would be very appreciated!!! Mr. Green
Mark999111
Well if your worried its a virus, antivirus software would be a good start Smile

Mcafee should take care of any crap thats on your PC
raver
as long as you are in the task manager, go over the processes tab and see if there is anything suspicious over there...it could be a virus, but then again...do you have any trouble with other applications? ussually viruses infect every .exe file on your computer so you should have alot more problems than just one app.
squirrelmaster
raver wrote:
as long as you are in the task manager, go over the processes tab and see if there is anything suspicious over there...it could be a virus, but then again...do you have any trouble with other applications? ussually viruses infect every .exe file on your computer so you should have alot more problems than just one app.

that's just it

THERE IS NO PROCESS TAB!!!!

as for other program's I haven't noticed anything except maybe a little slower performance,,

but I did start>run>msconfig

and stopped some of the startup processes, but the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen still bugs me!
pccustoms
You might be low on Virtual Memory.

Here is the fix:

Start --> Control Panel --> System -->Advanced --> Performance: Settings

Advanced tab--> Virtual Memory: Change --> Custom Size

Leave the minimum alone, but change the Maximum file size to 150% of your current installed RAM memory. (ex: 1 gig installed memory = 1500MB max page file size.)
Mardoxx
no tabs, hmm

open up task manager then press [windows key]+D
then press [ALT]+[TAB] to switch back to it again

if not, when your in task man. keep pressing [Tab] and see if anything happenes, if not press tab a few times then enter and hope something works

OR open up task manager then press tab 4 times then Right arrow key and it should bring up the precesses menu
squirrelmaster
@Mardoxx
nope, still no process tab

did virtual memory, it was already more than 150% of 248 but i highered it from 728 to 1024
mark
McAfee or Symantec. They take care of every virus that is around circling us.
Daniel15
You've hidden the tabs. Double-click on any blank space around the task manager box to show the tabs again.

And it's probably a problem with the program. Windows programs should never show an 'Out of Memory' error. Errors like that usually indicate corrupted programs.
engalex
low virtual memory
or
virus
then u must format (sorry)
Very Happy
squirrelmaster
man, i feel stupid that it was that simple!!! Brick wall

thank you very much, daniel15, that solved the tabs problem!!!

as, for the out of memory, i figured it's probably because it was designed for win 98 not win xp (Microsoft Picture It '99) because it's the only program giving me trouble. Just thought it should have worked, because i thought it worked before, but i'm probably remembering my '98 computer. Rolling Eyes

but i'm going to virus check it anyway, just to make sure!! Smile
devroom
pccustoms wrote:
You might be low on Virtual Memory.

Here is the fix:

Start --> Control Panel --> System -->Advanced --> Performance: Settings

Advanced tab--> Virtual Memory: Change --> Custom Size

Leave the minimum alone, but change the Maximum file size to 150% of your current installed RAM memory. (ex: 1 gig installed memory = 1500MB max page file size.)

If ur memory is low, windows will increase it. if u having that problem more, just install windows 95 Cool Very Happy