FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Asian Films

spelbound
Has anyone had the chance to check some of the great films coming out of Japan, China, and Korea...Som great stuff.

Japan - Ichi the Killer, Audition, Battle Royal

China - Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer

Korea - Save the Green Planet.

I recommend all of these. Please dont expect you're typical American Film...they are completely different. Warning...some are a little disturbing.
inman
Battle Royal, I heard, is a pretty disturbing one. Here are some of my favorite Korean suspense thrillers

Tell Me Something (1999)

"Tell Me Something" is an interesting thriller about a serial killer who is offing (and then dismembering) the ex-lovers of a beautiful young woman. Not satisfied with just cutting them to pieces while they're still alive, the killer delivers the bodyparts in black bags to different parts of the city to be discovered, and it's up to the cops, led by Cho (Suk-kyu Han) to, quite literally, piece together the evidences.

Memories of Murder (2003)

"Memories of Murder" opens in 1986 in the Korean countryside, where two local women are found murdered in similar fashion. Detectives Du-man Park (Kang-ho Song) and Yong-gu (Roe-ha Kim) are put on the case, but it becomes quickly apparent they have neither the skill nor the temperament for the job. After an attempt to pin the murder on a mentally challenged man goes awry, the cops reluctantly accept the help of Tae-yun Suh (Sang-kyung Kim), a cop from Seoul who has come offering his assistance. Suh thinks they have a serial killer on their hands and sets to prove it. Meanwhile, Park and Yong-gu are already looking for someone else to pin the crimes on so the whole thing will blow over.

Oldboy (2003)

The plot follows Dae-su Oh (Min-sik Choi, from "Shiri" and "Failan"), an average, if inconsiderate, family man who is grabbed off the street and imprisoned in a room by unseen captors. Fifteen years later he is released, and sets out to discover the reason behind his incarceration and to take revenge on his mysterious enemies. This is all you need to know, believe me. Although there is far more to "Oldboy" than its narrative, to watch the film forearmed with knowledge or clues to where the story is going would be to rob yourself of one of the most gut-wrenching denouements I have ever witnessed.
spelbound
Old Boy is a great movie. Nice choice. There is a new one out by the same film maker, however I dont know the title.

Another good movie (series) is infernal affairs. Its the story of two police academy boys who grow up, one on the side of the law, and the other on the side of drug trafficking. The twist is, the good guy poses undercover as a trafficker, and the bad guy undercover as a cop. Its a three part series, and some pretty good acting.

Naif
I loved Shaolin Soccer!!! It was such a hilarious movie!
Scaramanga
OK, I'm going to add my picks:

Japan: Lady Snowblood, Kikujiro, Moon Child, Princess Blade, The Returner

China/Hong Kong: Hero, Storm Riders, The Killer, The Bride With White Hair

Korea: Volcano High, Natural City, My Sassy Girl, Tale of Two Sisters
spelbound
Volcano High...omg, I forgot about that one. Kinda of a cheesy but fun movie. Great looking cast if I remember correctly.

how about
The Suicide Club, Princess Monoke, Akira
spelbound
I saw an interesting film the other night called 15. Its about of 15 year old boys and their journey through friendship, drugs, violence, and their struggle with the future and suicide. A little depressing, but interestingly filmed. The actors were amazing, almost like they were not acting.

There is also a really cool series called MPD Psycho. You have to watch them in order, to understand. Part of it is directed by Takashi Miike.

Check them out if your into something unconventional.
Scaramanga
spelbound wrote:
Volcano High...omg, I forgot about that one. Kinda of a cheesy but fun movie. Great looking cast if I remember correctly.

I always describe it to my friends as "an anime that got turned into a GOOD live-action film." (NOTE: I'm not saying Volcano High WAS an anime, just that it has a very anime-esque feel to it.)

Also, with the amount of quality films and animation coming out of Korea now days, I seriously think Korea is going to be the next Japan as far as pop culture influences.
spelbound
I actually think you are right. The last few films I have seen from Korea have been pretty good. Another country to watch for is Singapore. They seem to be kicking it up a notch with their productions.
inman
Here is my recommendation for classic asian cinema

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

Li Mu Bai, a great warrior decides to turn in his sword, the Green Destiny to a treasured friend. When the sword is then stolen, it is up to him to retrieve it. At the same time he is trying to avenge his master's death by the evil Jade Fox. He is joined in his quest by Shu Lien, the un-conceded love of his life. During all of this, they are introduced to Jiao Long Yu (Jen), the mysterious and beautiful daughter of a well known family. She is the mysterious link to all these tales. But through all the many subplots, this is in essence, a love story.

Hero (2002)

China is split in six kingdoms and the King of Qin (Daoming Chen) wants to unite them. He summons the nameless hero (Jet Li) that killed his three greatest enemies - Moon (Zhang Ziyi), Broken Sword (Tony Leung Chiu Wai) and Flying Snow (Maggie Cheung) - to visit him in his palace and tell how he defeated the menaces. In the end, the King questions the truth of the story told by the hero. He believes that the hero indeed wishes to kill him.

House of Flying Daggers (2004)

In the Nineth Century, the Tang Dinasty in China is weak and corrupt, and an army of rebels called "The House of the Flying Daggers"fights against the government military forces, and steals from the rich to give to the poor people. Leo (Andy Lau) and Jin (Takeshi Kaneshiro), two captains of the government army, plot a scheme against the rebels using the blind dancer Mei (Zhang Ziyi) to approach their leaders, but their love for Mei leads them to a tragedy.
MalvagioAddict
well, i can't recall the titles of the movies, that I liked watching, it's a movie with takeshi and jimmy lin as soon as i remember the title, you'll be hearing from me.

but among the movies that was posted here, i've only seen crouching tiger hidden tiger...i know...i still have a lot to watch.
candycakes
I like Asian Movies!! Very Happy
But being asian myself I guess that's kind of expected. xD

I mostly watch Chinese movies, since that is my native language, and we watch series. I don't really know what the right word in English is to describe these, but they're normally movies, only these "movies" have like 20 dvds in one box, but its still the same story. These take about a week to watch >.> and the worse part is they're so addicting. If you start one I advise you to have some spare time on your hands.

I haven't seen a lot of Korean movies, but I heard korean dramas are pretty good. The only Korean movies I have seen is My Sassy Girl, and Friends. My Sassy Girl is a hilarious movie about a guy who befriends a random girl he meets and both of them fall in love. The girl makes the guy go through all these ordeals, but it is n excellent movie =) Most people have seen these. The other one, Friends is not really my type. It talks about an unsuccessful love story between a Korean man, and a Japanese woman. Again, I thought it was the most pointless story ever, but some people might find the Korean actor, Won Bin, to be eye candy.

I've watched several Japanese films such as Tengoku no Honya (Heaven's Bookstore), The Ring, The Grudge, etc. etc. I also enjoy Miyazaki's cartoon movies such as Spirited Away, Poco Rocco, and Whisper of the Heart. There's another one called Tomb of the Fireflies that I loved. It is an automatic tearjerker so if you dont like crying avoid this film.

That's about it for now, but I'm pretty sure I'll watch more as time goes on.