FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Site Builder

Would you use a site builder?
All the time
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Occasionally
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Perhaps once
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Never
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Never, and it shouldn't be available
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 31

thermaltake
Hi Frihost,

i was thinking frihost could change it's ways totally. youu could put in a site biulder like tripod. the tripod site builder is easy to use and you can make good websites. i was just thinking about it. if you want to see the site biulder. go to www.tripod.com and become a member and have at the site builder. i think it's good and a great help for the not professionals of making websites. think about. i like the idea if you could put it on for direct admin. it would be mad. direct admin is pretty good. but i found it easy to use. thanx

reply soon.

[color=green]Mod edit (Mathiaus):[/color] Whatever you choose Bonding's has said IF it does happen it wont be soon so please ask it be implented now or ask when. thanks
Bondings
We might once make a site builder, but not at the moment.
TheNEC
How in the world do you all know how to do all of this stuff? like make a sitebuilder and such? Do you all actually make money off of frihost?
n0obie4life
Yes, to both your questions Smile.

We're smart people obviously Razz
ocalhoun
NOOOOOOOO!
I hate such things, the absence of these is one of the reasons I like Frihost!
What's wrong with editing your site with whatever program you like, and then uploading it?
No matter what kind of editor it is, it will restrict people's options as to what they upload.
billybob
no no no fri host is the only free host i know that actually has cpanel!!!
sitebuilders are for noobies if it were to be done it would have to be aswell as cpanel/direct admin
Panthrowzay
If any thing is need it is a FTP program that can upload ALL the contents of a folder in one sweep
And as site builders go a simple WYSIWYG Editor (in PHP opengl) would help for quick on site modifacations.
Mark999111
I agree, people need to learn HTML at some point, making a site builder only supports the lazy guys
Jack_Hammer
I like the idea of forcing people to use Gedit or something similar...
Twisted Evil
n0obie4life
billybob wrote:
sitebuilders are for noobies if it were to be done it would have to be aswell as cpanel/direct admin

We have Directadmin, not cpanel now Razz
billybob
n0obie4life wrote:
billybob wrote:

We have Directadmin, not cpanel now Razz

yeah but i still have cpanle Razz
silentpark
i think the idia of an sitebuilder isn't good for frihost...

at first its hard to make an sitebuilder that has kind of an representive and good layout... usually: not enough space for content.. many empty fields.. Smile

and on the other hand... i think it not too good for the image of frihost.. Smile

well if you surf through the internet.. (searching for a free host for example) what do you think about these hosters? i think it makes a host kind of sleazy :/

and we have a great ... very great community, to ask for templates Smile
Simulator
I think it is, I think that all the members of Frihost should help create one, by the people, for the people, Wink I am making a Blog system, which should launch sometime next summer, and then a forum system, so far my on site blog system is unshakable, I really do think it is a really good Idea, you would never know, it may become popular and Frihost will be famous for its site builder...... ok so that won't happen but still I think that if Bondings was to get one made it will attract a lot more people, ok maybe a lot of 9 year olds who don't know the first thing about programming, but still, imagine it, a whole site builder for free with everything. I think it is fair to say that between all of us here we know everything there is to know, so...... Why not then, I think the first step is to create a section for it.... it might get the ball rolling
billybob
Simulator wrote:
I think it is, I think that all the members of Frihost should help create one, by the people, for the people, Wink I am making a Blog system, which should launch sometime next summer, and then a forum system, so far my on site blog system is unshakable, I really do think it is a really good Idea, you would never know, it may become popular and Frihost will be famous for its site builder...... ok so that won't happen but still I think that if Bondings was to get one made it will attract a lot more people, ok maybe a lot of 9 year olds who don't know the first thing about programming, but still, imagine it, a whole site builder for free with everything. I think it is fair to say that between all of us here we know everything there is to know, so...... Why not then, I think the first step is to create a section for it.... it might get the ball rolling

i think it might be fun to work on the project to create it but when it will be fineshed who would actually use it?
ocalhoun
billybob wrote:
when i was fineshed who would actually use it?

Not me, Why not make a poll about that?
Simulator
billybob wrote:
Simulator wrote:

i think it might be fun to work on the project to create it but when i was fineshed who would actually use it?

Well I'm talking about a whole package, that will be like PHPmyAdmin, mixed with some other crap, now because I'm a PHP programmer, I would only look in that direction, and can only speak for the needs of one. So you will have a MySQl controller, to create databases, tables and so on, but also the ability to upload a blog to your site, forum and so on, I would use it anyway...
billybob
Quote:
Well I'm talking about a whole package, that will be like PHPmyAdmin, mixed with some other crap, now because I'm a PHP programmer, I would only look in that direction, and can only speak for the needs of one. So you will have a MySQl controller, to create databases, tables and so on, but also the ability to upload a blog to your site, forum and so on, I would use it anyway...

when you put it like that its sounds good, but i got the impresion from the guy whos idea it was that it would be somethink like you get on other free webhosts like freewebs Crying or Very sad "i had one very brief experience with freewebs if you havent never do!" but your idea sounds good!! Very Happy
Simulator
billybob wrote:
Quote:

when you put it like that its sounds good, but i got the impresion from the guy whos idea it was that it would be somethink like you get on other free webhosts like freewebs Crying or Very sad "i had one very brief experience with freewebs if you havent never do!" but your idea sounds good!! Very Happy

Thank you, now its not forced, you can do it your own way too.....
ocalhoun
Since that topic is quite poular, I made a poll concerning it.
Note the question!
The question is not "should we have one?"
Simulator
By Site Builder you mean one that has all MySQL needs, and automatic forum and blog installers, its Frihosts own Cpanel.
mathiaus
merged original topic with new poll.

I wouldn't use a site builder ever. I like to know how my code was created so I can edit it quickly, repair it and make sure it is xhtml complient. Any good site has been coded by hand and not by a kind of generator.

If people want to learn why not download a trial of dreamweaver and use their wysiwyg editor. saves spaces and other resources from frihosts POF.

Please also bear in mind that Bonding's has said even if we do have one it wont besoso please dont demand one or ask when it will come Wink
Simulator
mathiaus wrote:
merged original topic with new poll.

I wouldn't use a site builder ever. I like to know how my code was created so I can edit it quickly, repair it and make sure it is xhtml complient. Any good site has been coded by hand and not by a kind of generator.

If people want to learn why not download a trial of dreamweaver and use their wysiwyg editor. saves spaces and other resources from frihosts POF.

Please also bear in mind that Bonding's has said even if we do have one it wont besoso please dont demand one or ask when it will come Wink

I'm not on about one like that, I'm on about a Frihost Branded PHP assistant for creating Databases and stuff, but there will be the option for installing Blogs and forums, and by Blogs and Forums I mean Sim and Sim.com ones Very Happy
Daniel15
There's a simple solution to this SiteBuilder problem. FriHost could have a FCKEditor-based site editor. FCKEditor is a WYSIWYG editor that runs in your browser. It's really good! It even has the ability to upload images to the server (this can be enabled/disabled) and linked!

Here's a picture of what FCKEditor looks like (I had to blur the site name as I'm not ready to release any details about this site as yet. This FCKEditor is from the admin page)

thermaltake
since i made this topic i think i should have a say.

you could just have a site builder for frihost wanna be's and when you move up the ranks there is no site builder. for beginners site builder isn't a bad choice. What do you think?

Cast a vote and have your say?
thermaltake
if you want to see a fairly good example of site builder for all thoser people who don't no what sitebuilder is. go to tripod.com and sign up on a free plan and you can sample site builder for your self. it's quick and easy. see for your self.
Rhysige
Although there is no discrimination I dont think most people who cant even code HTML would normally have searched hard enough to find this.
Have you ever looked at the code Tripod gives you? not to mention they normally dont work with all browsers. Site builders mean people get lazy. I believe the best option is people code their sites, if they have problems theres a whole section on this forum full of us people with years of experience coding HTML and other languages. No auto generating WYSIWYG or other type of editor can compare to a normal person.
Simulator
I'm not on about a WYSIWYG, I'm on about a MySQL one, just like Cpanel really but by Frihost, I just think it would be a good idea
mathiaus
Simulator wrote:
I'm not on about a WYSIWYG, I'm on about a MySQL one, just like Cpanel really but by Frihost, I just think it would be a good idea

you didnt create either topics though and those were about this editor. If you have a suggestion make a new topic.
Simulator
mathiaus wrote:
Simulator wrote:

you didnt create either topics though and those were about this editor. If you have a suggestion make a new topic.

That would be an Idea.... but arn't they the same, well.... noone wants a WYSIWYG so.....
Devil
i think frihost should do bloghosting ,

site builders are too small , even for noobies ,
billybob
Devil wrote:
i think frihost should do bloghosting ,

site builders are too small , even for noobies ,

did no one read Simulator idea?

Quote:
Well I'm talking about a whole package, that will be like PHPmyAdmin, mixed with some other crap, now because I'm a PHP programmer, I would only look in that direction, and can only speak for the needs of one. So you will have a MySQl controller, to create databases, tables and so on, but also the ability to upload a blog to your site, forum and so on,
Devil
Quote:
Well I'm talking about a whole package, that will be like PHPmyAdmin, mixed with some other crap, now because I'm a PHP programmer, I would only look in that direction, and can only speak for the needs of one. So you will have a MySQl controller, to create databases, tables and so on, but also the ability to upload a blog to your site, forum and so on,
[/quote]

isnt that what ur getting now ? Confused site builder means frihost will have to supply templates which is the main thing in site builder , if everyone can make thier own templates , i dont think site builder is of any use .
Squeeky
I dont think it is Frihost's style to have a site builder. I looked at lots of hosters before I cam here and the really popular ones like geocities and tripod do have site builders. However, Frihost is for more advanced people, it isn't where you just sign up and u can make some noobie site. And when you compare a say Tripod site to a Frihost site you can see the difference.

Site Builders Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SNES350
I believe the WYSIWYG HTML editor in cPanel is good enough for people who want to start a site. Well, for the people who would start a site and keep posting and updating the site. Other people can go have their Xanga.com.
thermaltake
Site Builder rockon!!
thermaltake
Bonding what do you think?
Should there be a site builder?
By using poles you can't really determine these things beacuse any random person can click on any option without thinking. What do you think? Like i suggested earlier it should only be for the fri host wanna be's. Just to give them a kick start. It's easier and quicker.
LostOverThere
If this ever went through, I would move that Frihost team up with a small freeware sitebuilder company such as Nvu
dark_one
Yes... I like this idea, but not Tripod's...

I have tried many Free Webhosts in the last 2-3 years, and the ones which popped out the most where www.741.com and www.freewebs.com because of their site builders (more freewebs) but they're overrun with advertisements and don't give you enough space...

I think that if you could make a balance between space, no ads and a site builder then you would have a very popular web host here... MORE popular than it is now...
dark_one
Squeeky wrote:
I dont think it is Frihost's style to have a site builder. I looked at lots of hosters before I cam here and the really popular ones like geocities and tripod do have site builders. However, Frihost is for more advanced people, it isn't where you just sign up and u can make some noobie site. And when you compare a say Tripod site to a Frihost site you can see the difference.

Site Builders Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that I totally disagree with you there, I have run many sites and only 2 of them have been totally coded by me because I literally donot have the time, as many webmasters dont...

And if you think about it, you have 5 hours to spend on your web site... You spend 3 hours working all the code out and have only 2 hours for the content, or 10 minutes using a WYSIWUG editior and spend almost all the 5 hours on content...

What would your visitors prefer? I would certainly prefer the content...

PLUS: The reason most of the geocities and tripod sites look absolutely dispiccable is because the templates which the Site builders use are totally crap... If FriHost can find a valuable site building script with GREAT Quality Templates included, why not use it?

It's only an additional option for those who dont have time to mess around with code...

THEN there's the fact that some people cant use notepad to wizz their HTML up like I do, they can only use fancy programs which do most of it for you anyway and cost about $700... What's the point of having free web hosting if some members have to go and pay that for a program (OR obtain it illegally...)

thermaltake wrote:
Bonding what do you think?
Should there be a site builder?
By using poles you can't really determine these things beacuse any random person can click on any option without thinking. What do you think? Like i suggested earlier it should only be for the fri host wanna be's. Just to give them a kick start. It's easier and quicker.

I agree with you on the poll thing, a lot of people just click a random option... then a lot of people dont even vote...

If it doesn't take bondings (or whoever does it) much time to install these scripts, I don't see why not... It's only another amazing feature that FriHost can boast about, and say "We're better than you!" to all the little hosts who charge $10/month for what FriHost has for free!

Now... I'll bet that took a long time to read because it took me about 20 mins to type and I'm just about to fall asleep, So I'll have to go soon Very Happy
danikuzi
I am using html and frontpage it is better....
thermaltake
danikuzi wrote:

Frontpage is no good my friend. Use dreamweaver it's better and more advanced and in some cases has more features. If you want to download a copy of dreamweaver go to www.download.com and download a free legal copy.
[/quote]
thermaltake
Thank you dark_one. At last someone agrees with me. But as i have said before and i think knowone has seen is that site builder should only be for firhost wannna be's and know one else. Just the wanna be's and like dark_one said webmasters don't that time to start editing their websites from scratch they need that kick start and a fast reliable site builder. It's not justt tripod that use a site builder their are many other free hosts out there and are much more successful than frihost which have site builder and succed. But frihost is already succedding and i think everyone willl agree with that. Go SITEBUILDER!! The SITEBUILDER will live not die. It will live to be a saviour not a loser. I hope you have taken the 'SITEBUILDER' into hand Bondings and thought about very well.

The SITEBUILDER will live not die!!
dark_one
Well, at least consider it... Maybe even if you use sitebuilder you need to be more active on the forums?
LostOverThere
I'm happy with the WYSIWYG Site builder already with cPanel.
supersonic
If you really want to use a site builder just use the one on tripod or yahoo geocites. If frihost wants to put a site builder in that is optional then I would reccomend the one at www.swsoft.com.
craigo
Most site builders I've seen don't offer flexibilty. I would probably use one if it was any good as I'm not an HTML guru. However, having said that, basic design in Dreamweaver, Frontpage, etc really aren't rocket science.....quite happy not having an SB here
Splenge
you can just use things like blue voda which isnt too small at all it lets you do what you want and then you can just upload it to anything
Squeeky
thermaltake wrote:
danikuzi wrote:

Frontpage is no good my friend. Use dreamweaver it's better and more advanced and in some cases has more features. If you want to download a copy of dreamweaver go to www.download.com and download a free legal copy.
[/quote]
Legal for 30 days. You can't make a good site in 30 days.

Thermaltake, if you are desperate for i site builder why not sign up to Tripod??? You could use their site builder, copy the html and files, and horray u have a cheap and nasty site made with a site builder. Wink
It would work...
thermaltake
Squeeky

I'm already with tripod.
thermaltake
In a way sitebuilders are for beginners but who cares? I no alot of you do so don;t answer that. But it gives the beginners a kick start?