FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help formatting a USB key

Xcelerate
This is a somewhat weird question. I had this 256 MB USB key. Anyway, I tried to install some version of linux on it, and apparently it was too big to fit, so the linux installer deleted what it had already installed on it, leaving it empty. When I went back to Windows, the disk said it was in RAW format, so I formatted it with Windows. Now it only has 94 MB. Does anyone know why this would happen or how to correct it?

Thanks.

(I just realized this probably ought to be moved to Computer Support section.)
Daniel15
Maybe Linux partitioned your USB key?

You're running Windows XP, right? Make sure your USB key is inserted, then go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools, then choose 'Computer Management'. Next, choose 'Disk Management' on the left hand side (under the 'Storage' category). Your USB Key will be listed as a 'Removable' disk, and have a floppy disk icon. Check that there is only 1 partition. If there are 'non-DOS' partitions, then delete them.

If you don't have Windows XP, then I don't know. Maybe the dos FDISK, but I don't think it can do USB keys.
Xcelerate
Alright, I did that, and it did have another partition. But it called it "Unallocated memory" and it did not have an option to delete it, format it, or do anything else to it. Does anyone know a program that would let me access this?
gyaneshwar
If you still need it there is a software from HP which works with most of USB keys so you my give it a try.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html

Yes it is free and it works with few different sticks/memory card (all non HP)