FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What operating system do you use?

mike4652
Lately I have been using Xandros operating system.
Of course I am using the free download version.
Is there any others that are using other linux base OS?
Or have you tried XANDROS?
If so please let me know what you think. Laughing
phileplanet
Xandros? Wow i've never heard of that.
I've only used Windows, Mac and Knoppix so far.
palka
I have tried several GNU/Linux distros, RH9, FC1,FC2, Mepis, ubuntu, SuSE, and Mandrake (now mandriva), Out of these I have likeed Mandrake 10.1 most, which is currently installed as a dual boot with WinXP. I also liked Mepis very much, but, since I have a slow dial up connection I need a bigger distro. Mandrake is easy to install, has nice system management utilities( Mandrakelinux control centre) which is sometimes are better than Win control panel.
otiscom
I use XPpro.

Tried all sorts but most of the people on planet use Windows!

There lies the problem, other OS's might be better (more robust etc) but to communicate Window's has it !

megamass
now i use xp, until now i have tried all versions of windows starting 95. never used linux or something like that. i looked at XANDROS screenshoots and i can say that it is cheap copy of windows
barrie
i've been using Mac OS since OS 9, now i'm running OS 10.3.9, i'm waiting for 10.5 to arrive, because 10.4 isn't really that good compared to 10.3. I've also tried an Ubuntu live-cd once but it wouldn't boot. But i'm very happy with OS X. When i use win xp at school i just feel so limited, things are way easier in os x
raver
megamass wrote:
now i use xp, until now i have tried all versions of windows starting 95. never used linux or something like that. i looked at XANDROS screenshoots and i can say that it is cheap copy of windows

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

ok that really hurt....inc ase you didn`t know windows is a cheap copy of the UNIX sistem. Who do you think had the first desktop enviroment? and...oh...i think this is going to turn into another windows vs linux flame war so i`d better just stop now. Anyways....you should really try running a linux enviroment.....it may change your way of thinking...
nakamaru
I'm stupid so I just stick with windows xp.
n0xvb
mike4652 wrote:
Lately I have been using Xandros operating system.
Of course I am using the free download version.
Is there any others that are using other linux base OS?
Or have you tried XANDROS?
If so please let me know what you think. Laughing

I've always liked Slackware, but I've started to play with Linux From Scratch. Nothing like actually compiling the entire operating system! Very Happy
blueknot
well,

i use windows

cos it's one of the best OS compatible with most software on earth.

haha, that's important for me //
VIPER VENOM
Unless you are a web host. THEN THE WINDOWS 2000 SERVER EDITION IS $900.00 US DOLLARS. SO LINUX IS DEFINATLY THE BEST WAY TO GO THERE.
sibbahz
I use a legit windows xp home.
Have tried linux in the past but couldnt get my wireless internet working and thats the main reason i use a computer.
TheSun
well i am using

Windows XP with SP2 and LOnghorn (Now Vista) Transformation PAck
Ravi
i use both

Windows 2000 with SP4

and Windows 98
lazaruz
Well I use XP Pro SP2 on my workstation simply because you are kinda forced to use Windows while working.

On my server I run Ubuntu linux, an exellent distro wich everyone should try.
I was all new to linux and Ubuntu made it fun to learn because it's easy to work with.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
hangnhu
do you guys like built ur computers or something? what are all these operating system? so many things to learn in the computer world Embarassed

I'm using MS, because it comes with the computer, however I prefer Mac anyday, love apple. XP isn't so bad
Helios
Linux / Debian "Sarge".

Today i'm moving to FreeBSD 6.0(yay! it's out! =D)
I have tried to install Solaris but it seems that it had problems with my hardware(Well, duh.. it's solaris =P)

I'll open a topic later and post some screenshots =D
beyondinfiniti
i use windows xp and mac. never tried linux
ocalhoun
Linux
And, to a lesser extent, win 2k
Cream
I just use Windows XP because it supports lots of software, and lots of games.
Plus its what came with my PC and I'd be too lazy to change it.
THE11thROCK™
Linux and Open-Source OS is really making a big Headache for Microsoft Windows. Almost every applications and software now have their own version and variations in Linux environment. Try wine and many apps are listed as they are in Windows.

The main problem with Linux is the Gaming part. Not all games can be run in Wine and Linux. The bad part about it is the best Windows games cannot made to run in wine.

I use Linux for many different reasons. Stability, Customisability, Security and Simplicity. SuSe simply rocks.

The bad part is, I am a Gamer. Because of that, I tend to use more of Windows. Very Happy
Aki
I use windows xp pro and it has severed me well for 3 years now without crashing or causing problems. I haven't used any other operating system (although I want to try out linux). I think Winxp is prob better then all the other Windows realises which have crashed multiple times on my PC.
Donutey
windows xp home with vmware to play with linux and other alt. OS's...

I used to have a linux box, but gave it away to a family member to use as a first time computer. Rolling Eyes

windows has the most programs.

mac os x has the best integration.

linux is free and open source.

... now only if you could combine them all... winuX! lol...

Arrow 200th Post Very Happy Mr. Green Dancing
Donutey
hangnhu wrote:
do you guys like built ur computers or something? what are all these operating system? so many things to learn in the computer world Embarassed

I'm using MS, because it comes with the computer, however I prefer Mac anyday, love apple. XP isn't so bad

well I did, but you can put Linux, (semi-illegally) Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Minix, and Windows on pretty much any off the shelf PC.
hooloovoo
I use windowsXP, but i prefer Max OSX......ive tried Red Hat Linux a couple different times, but it never seems to work all that well when i trie to set it up.
Im probably doing it wrong...Im trying to break away from the Window Corporation
desertwind
gnu/linux rules by desktop for last 7 years, and FC4 is the current ruler.
gyaneshwar
I use win XP with Fedora Core 4 dual boot. But most of my collegues and friends use windows so mostly I use that.
I tried almost all available distros and found that hardware support is quite problematical if you have a new maschine. Now, after I have my P4 HT 2.8 for the last 2 years all hardware is supported by almost all Linux distros. Generally it would help if I would be a programer but I am not. Luckily more and more people use linux so it is easier to get some support.
I believe that one day I will use Linux only maschine but until then.....
manumiglani
i use windows Xp
n0obie4life
Please search for duplicate topics next time before posting.

There is already a topic for this located at http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-21.html

-close-