FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Questions about copyright etc

billybob
I have a few quewtions about copyright , All rights reserved etc.

(1) whats the diffrence (if there is any)

(2)How do you go about obtaining this

(3)does it cost and if so how much

and if you have any other info relating to this topic i would be pleased to hear it thanks!
wumingsden
Any material you have (which was made by you) is AUTOMATICALLY copyrighted to you. If you want more protection (for example a design - like the ColaCola bottle) you need to get a patient. A logo or something similar to a Motif then you need to get a TradeMark. These two cost money.

If you want to add a copyright to your own piece of work, for example a website, check out my website, http://www.wmd1.piczo.com then scroll to the bottom. The text should really be a hyperlink, like mine, if someone is going to ask to use your work.

To know more about any of the things above then go here:

The UK: (a really good site) http://www.patent.gov.uk/
The US: (not better than the one above) http://www.uspto.gov/
billybob
thanks wumingsden this is just what i wanted u help me out yet agin Very Happy
spelbound
Another way of securing a copyright...for the written word, is to mail the item to yourself. The Post Mark date proves the date it was copyrighted. Example...a song, or a novel, or a photograph.

Anything that you want to protect (written that is)
izcool
I second that - everything is copyrighted to you automatically. Like for instance, this reply to you is copyrighted to me. I was going to file a copyright for a website that I've done awhile ago. I sold the site before I could ever copyright it. I got a packet of details on copyrighting a website, but I don't know much about the fees that are involved. I have the address at home for if you wanted to mail the copyright office to get more details on what you want to do. I know it's in Washington D.C.

- Mike.
Bondings
spelbound wrote:
Another way of securing a copyright...for the written word, is to mail the item to yourself. The Post Mark date proves the date it was copyrighted. Example...a song, or a novel, or a photograph.

Anything that you want to protect (written that is)

That's only to prove the date. On the internet there is a 'wayback machine' that takes a copy of all popular websites every few days. It's then quite easy to prove that you were the first to write something.