FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you blocking ip address of banned users?

shabda
I was trying to access frihost forums from my collage. There I got a message saying you have been banned or something like that. I deleted the cookies, sat on a differnt computer, but nothing helped.
I am able to acess forum from my hostel, so only feasible reason is you are blockin the ip. Mad
As far as I know, a friend of mine shashi_bhushan9 too uses frihost from our collage. So might be you wanted to ban him by blocking that ip.
Bondings
If I ban someone and they seem to have a static ip, then I do ban the ip most of the time. Those bans really prevent spam and are needed.
Daniel15
Bondings wrote:
If I ban someone and they seem to have a static ip, then I do ban the ip most of the time. Those bans really prevent spam and are needed.

The only problem with that is that some ISP's use proxies, so the request would seem to come from a static IP. Even if you don't have a proxy set in your configuration, some ISP's (such as mine) use a transparent proxy. You don't even notice that it is there. For example, my real IP address begins 60.240.***.***, but other people will see my IP address as 220.245.***.*** (which is the IP of the transparent proxy). Transparent proxies get really annoying as you can't turn them off!
shabda
Quote:

However with this you are also blocking a large number of other users. more than 100's of computers are on that lan, so you are effectively blocking them too.
Bondings
shabda wrote:
Quote:

However with this you are also blocking a large number of other users. more than 100's of computers are on that lan, so you are effectively blocking them too.

Yeah, I certainly agree, but if a user is banned (not his ip) than he will just register again with another username and spam again. (or in the case of abuse, abuse again)
shabda
Quote:
Yeah, I certainly agree, but if a user is banned (not his ip) than he will just register again with another username and spam again. (or in the case of abuse, abuse again)

As dan very helpfully mentioned, all this protection can be easily nullified by using proxy servers. So basically its lots of work without any gain.
But I wont bug you any more about this, if you think it should stay, you are the boss.
Bondings
I'll try to stop banning the ip's of spammers, but I won't stop it for people who abuse the hosting with illegal files or similar.
Daniel15
Quote:
As dan very helpfully mentioned, all this protection can be easily nullified by using proxy servers. So basically its lots of work without any gain.
But I wont bug you any more about this, if you think it should stay, you are the boss.

Well, what I was trying to say was that some people are stuck on proxies. If you ban their apparent IP, you'd be banning some of the ISP's customers (my ISP uses 5 different transparent proxies, but most ISP's have only 1). For example, if you banned my ISP's proxy address, you'd be banning about 300,000 Australians from accessing Frihost!

Maybe a temporary, 24-hour ban would be better.

I know how you feel about banning, shabda. My school's proxy is banned from editing on Wikipedia, due to vandalism. But, I suppose this is what you'd expect, with ~1000 schools using the same proxy (my school alone has 1300 students). Needless to say, my school's internet is VERY slow at times.
n0obie4life
Daniel15, I suffer the same problem as you too Smile.

It's irritating at times as some sites don't allow proxies to enter their website.