FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Direct x prob

bluffmango
Hello
i have just bought a game (gabriel knight 3) which requires DirectDraw. I have DX8. the game requires DX6.1 or higher. Everytime I try to start the game it says 'DirectDraw not supported or DirectX not install properly'. When i go into the dxdiag programme and run a test for directdraw it works perfectly. And it says all tests were succesful. DirectDraw acceleration is not disabled. I have a theory that its because my video driver is not microsoft certified(tells me in dxdiag). I have tried to get one but without luck. The card is and ARKLogic 2000PV.
photon
i think the graphics card is unsupported by the game. anyway try getting the latest graphics drivers and d/l the latest ver of direct x(9.0c) just in case. and then give it a shot
bananaphone
While direct x is backwards compatible, its possible that for some reason Direct X 8.1 cannot be recognised by the game (not sure why, maybe the game is just looking for Direct X 6.1 or older)

Try updating to 9c - i don't think you can downgrade dirext x.
SunburnedCactus
You can uninstall DirectX using DirectX Buster http://www.dxbuster.de/index_e.html if you're not running XP.
Naif
You already posted this question on a different forum, 5 years back :S Whats going on?

http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/104.html

I was going through google to see if a patch is available for the game when I came across that thread. Such problems are usually resolved by installing a patch(if one is available). Like Bananaphone wrote, some older games have problems using a newer version of the DX library.
They try searching for the same version they were written in. I had a similar problem with 3dmark2001 and had to install a patch for it.